“A hotel is to sleep”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Savannah, Georgia
“A hotel is to sleep”
Reviewed November 19, 2012

I specifically asked for a quiet room--at 5 am. the next morning the dumpsters were emptied right below my room. Very loud crashing, banging etc. My room was changed the next night which a real bother. Staff was nice but they need to get the basics down (being able to sleep).

Room Tip: Not over the dumpsters!
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
Thomas F, General Manager at Kimpton Lorien Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, November 20, 2012
Dear rosied8181,

I am sorry we were not able to honor your request for a quiet room, which impacted your ability to get a good night’s sleep. Please accept my apologies for the inconvenience of changing rooms the next day. I am checking with our waste company to determine if later pick-up times are available.

I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back again,

Thomas

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (290)
New York
Reviewed November 18, 2012

This hotel is awesome. Great decor, fantastic food, great spa and amenities. Honestly, I've stayed here three times in the past year, and I look forward to every visit. The staff is also incredibly helpful with directions, taxis, etc. This is THE place to stay.

Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Thomas F, General Manager at Kimpton Lorien Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
Dear plt981,

We appreciate being your hotel of choice in the DC area. I am glad you find our staff to be so helpful with directions, and that you enjoy all the amenities we have to offer.

We look forward to your next visit,

Minnesota
Reviewed November 18, 2012

I don't write many reviews, though perhaps I should. Recently, I was called to the Alexandria area for a last minute business trip. I did a quick search for a hotel and selected this property. From the moment I arrived at the hotel to my departure, the experience was top notch. The staff was friendly and incredibly helpful. The location is within walking distance to great little shops and restaurants.The room was calming and peaceful. And the gym was perfect. During my stay, my power cord for my laptop failed. I might have panicked but my room had a computer supplied by the hotel. I was able to use that to log in to my work network and still be very productive.

I wish I'd noted the names of the staff members who were so gracious. They deserve recognition for the level of customer service provided. If I need to return this area, this hotel is at the top of my list.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Dear nichelle,

Thanks for selecting us for your last minute business trip. I am glad you had an awesome experience thanks to our staff and your accommodations, including the in-room computer which let you continue your work. I look forward to sharing your feedback with our team.

Cordially,

Palm Beach, Florida
Reviewed November 17, 2012

From the moment I arrived at the valet parking, 'til the time I stepped out the door, my stay at the Lorien was perfection. I was traveling cross-country with dogs, and am usually forced to stay in low-budget motels. What a delightful change the Lorien was!
Wine at check-in, a beautiful clean room with balcony overlooking the courtyard, fantastic restaurant (Brabo is the #1 restaurant in Alexandria, for a reason) on site...my visit lacked for nothing.
Be sure to join the Kimpton group's loyalty program. They reward you with perks at every stay--not just when you have stayed many times. All of the Kimpton hotels I have stayed in are great, but the Lorien is extra special.

Room Tip: Ask for a balcony over the courtyard. Very charming, and still quiet.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank bossafin
Dear bossafin,

I am pleased we were able to offer you and your dogs a perfect stay, ranging from your wonderful guest room and amazing dinner at BRABO. Thank you for being a loyal Kimpton InTouch member.

We hope to see you again soon,

Herndon, Virginia
Reviewed November 15, 2012

I recently hosted a 50th birthday celebration at the Kimpton Hotel on a Friday night in their Hospitality Suite. Despite their full schedule of weddings and receptions scheduled for that Friday and Saturday, the accomodations, staff, food and service were, once again, impeccable! I had a gathering of approximately 18 people to the suite to enjoy the magnificent terrace and views for the evening and had the hotel/restaurant cater the event. Wow! Were my guests impressed. The terrace is beautiful and furnished with a sofa, lounge chair and coffee table. In addition, the hotel provided additional tables and seating and placed the open bar and bartendar outside for the evening. Their attention to my every request (many) and their own attention to detail were outstanding. Everyone that attended said they would visit this hotel on their own again sometime soon. The bartendar was friendly and accomodating and the hotel staff stopped in regularly to clean up plates, trash, etc, and to ensure that the food stations were clean and well presented. What a great evening. Thank you Lorien for making my small party feel like a royal event.

Room Tip: The Hospitality Suite with adjoining terrace is a great place for any small event.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Susan V,

Happy Birthday! Thank you for choosing to celebrate at the Lorien Hotel & Spa. It was fantastic to note you and your guests received such wonderful service from our banquet staff and made the most of the fabulous oversized terrace. We look forward to you and your friends joining us on future visits.

Regards,

Roanoke, Virginia
Reviewed November 15, 2012

We have stayed in numerous hotels in Northern Virginia. By far, our favorite is the Lorien, and we now stay there whenever we visit. The location--right on King Street and close to the Metro--is great. We especially like the modern decor, the cozy library, the patio and the comfortable rooms.

However, what sets the Lorien apart is the exceptional staff. Everyone--from the valet parkers to the maids to the front desk--is extremely professional and helpful. They frequently anticipate your needs before you even ask. Every time we leave, we find ourselves asking why it's so hard to get this kind of excellent service other places. Obviously, delivering exceptional service consistently takes hard work. The Lorien delivers.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear traveler070847,

I was thrilled to read your comments about our entire staff providing excellent and anticipatory service. We pride ourselves on providing personalized and thoughtful service. I am glad you enjoy our convenient location on King Street near the Metro, as well as our décor and amenities.

We look forward to welcoming you back,

Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed November 15, 2012

We loved staying at this hotel. This will be a repeat hotel for us the next time we are in the DC area! The staff was very friendly and helpful, greeting us each time we walked by. They were incredibly patient in helping us plan our days, giving us step by step directions. We rented a car one day and to our surprise the car rental place (at a different hotel) did not have any maps (and no navigation system). Shane at the reception desk thought there was a possibility we would need directions and had already checked out maps for us when we returned to the Lorien with our rental car. The service was very personal and it cemented our decision that for our next trip we should book boutique hotels such as the Lorien for our stay. The room was spacious, clean and modern. We ate at both the Brabo and the Tasting Room and loved the dining experience of each restaurant At the Brabo I wasn't sure which wine to order so we got to try a couple of different ones till I found one I really liked. The hotel is just a couple of convenient blocks to the metro and it was so convenient to get into DC to see the sights. But we also loved the fact that we were in Old town, away from the bustle of DC, walking along quaint shops and streets. This is truly a wonderful hotel.

Room Tip: Our room faced the street and it was nice to be able to see people walking down quaint streets.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Thomas F, General Manager at Kimpton Lorien Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, November 16, 2012
Dear LisaAZ2012,

It was fantastic to read about the excellent and thoughtful service you received from Shane at the Front Desk. I am glad you enjoyed your clean and modern guest room, and both of your dining experiences at the hotel. I was pleased to note you made good use of our convenient location just two blocks from the King Street Metro stop.

We look forward to your next visit,