“nice romantic getaway!” 4 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Chesterfield, Virginia
“nice romantic getaway!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

very clean & cute boutique hotel in a wonderful location. We enjoyed the manager's reception each night. I received the best massage I have ever had, from Will. I hope he will be there when we return because I will request him! My husband & I did think the hotel staff were a bit "too casual" in their responses to us, using "yea" and "sure" instead of something more professional, like "Yes, Sir" or "Yes Ma'am".

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Thomas F, General Manager at Kimpton Lorien Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, November 8, 2012
Dear bowamy,

It is nice to note you enjoyed our evening wine reception in our living room, and had a fabulous massage from Will. Please accept my apologies for our staff being too casual in the manner they interacted with you. We have so many regular guests that have become like family, which may have impacted our staff’s conversations with you. I have reviewed your feedback accordingly with our team.

Thomas

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (284)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

Went for business for a convention recently, and had a pleasant time, comfortable stay with easy access to the metro. The hotel itself is small, but what it lacks in room size/hotel size, the staff generously makes up for it. Overly accommodating, friendly and always helpful and patient. I even brought my dog to test out their "pet friendliness" and they were fabulous. Even had spare poop pickup bags at the ready!!! Very good location, convenient to the metro to get into the city easily, as well as right next to a trolley stop that will take you up and down the main street to all the shops and restaurants from 10am-10pm. I was thrilled Kimpton definitely made an impression on me, as well as their outstanding staff at this location. Thank you!! Will definitely be back!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Dear kristyroot,

I am very pleased you chose to stay with us in Alexandria, even though you convention was up in DC. It appears you made good use of the Metro which is only two blocks away from the hotel. I am glad you found our staff friendly and at the ready to assist you and your dog.

We look forward to your return visit,

CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2012

I visited here for 3 days. Very clean, excellent service and staff goes over and above to please from the wine reception in late afternoon to the tea/coffee service in the morning. Supply yoga mat for your room if you want it and have some nice videos of pilates and yoga free on the TV. If you are a club member (just sign up) internet is free.

This is the best hotel in the DC area. About a quarter mile to the metro station with easy access off and on to the rest of DC.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thomas F, General Manager at Kimpton Lorien Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, November 5, 2012
Dear birdieca,

I am so pleased you enjoyed many of the little touches we have to offer from the complimentary evening wine reception to some of our fitness options. It sounds like you made good use of our proximity to the King Street Metro stop.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2012

I always look for Kimpton hotels to stay at wherever we end up, and the Lorien was once again a great experience. We had a spacious room, very clean, though a little stark! I felt like they needed one more picture on the wall or something...but other than that fantastic. It was my birthday that weekend so the hotel sent up a bottle of champagne and strawberries which made my day! We had dinner that evening at the amazing Brabo restaurant downstairs, which I highly recommend to everyone that comes to stay here.

Staff was friendly and helpful, and the location is great, just a block to the Metro to get downtown DC and it is located right on King Street in the charming Old Town Alexandria area, great restaurants and bars and shopping!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Angela J
Thomas F, General Manager at Kimpton Lorien Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, October 29, 2012
Dear Angela J,

First of all, a belated Happy Birthday! I am glad you enjoyed the champagne and strawberries and your dinner in BRABO. I was pleased to note you enjoyed our convenient location near the King Street Metro stop as well as all the shops & restaurants. I am sorry you found our minimalistic design approach a little stark, but hope the spaciousness and cleanliness more than made up for it.

See you again soon,

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2012

My wife and I took my 87-year-old father and 81-year-old mother to DC to visit the World War II Memorial. He was a B-29 bombardier stationed in the Pacific. When we arrived at the hotel, check-in procedures were fast and baggage movement was efficient. Many thanks to "David" for the friendly and courteous curb-side assistance. The front-desk staff introduced themselves (John "The Greek," and Brandon were very nice), and they remembered our names everytime we returned to the hotel from the day's activities. The rooms were clean and fresh - very modern decor. The bathrooms were nice and clean, but we did detect a little mold in the shower. The hair dryer was not in plain sight - it was in a small bag under the sink. My wife loved the small mounted magnifying mirror for make-up application and the fact that all lighting fixtures in the room, and bathroom, were on dimmer switches. The room was very quiet until the garbage truck arrived at 5 AM. Can't really blame the Lorien for that problem, but the dumpster banging was so loud, I'm sure everyone was awakened at 5 AM. We visited both on-site restaurants, which were excellent. The Brabo Tasting Room was particularly convenient and reasonably priced. The daily complimentary wine tasting at 5 PM was located in a living room-like area off the main lobby, not on the roof top as depicted on the hotel's web site. There was also an overflow area, through double french doors, where there was an outside patio and fire pit. Highly recommend a couple more tables and chairs on the patio. It was very nice outside, but seating was extremely limited. Morning coffee was served in the same location, along with an ample supply of complimentary newspapers (WSJ, Wash Post, USA Today, etc.) Check Out was just as easy and friendly as Check In. Valet Parking was a bit expensive, but that's to be expected, since metered parking was limited and risky. We will keep this hotel on our short list for a return visit.

Room Tip: Ask for a room far away from the back ally. This is where the garbage collection takes place - it i...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank TVinoski
Dear TVinoski,

I was pleased you chose to stay at the Lorien Hotel & Spa while taking your parents to see the World War II Memorial. It was nice to note you received excellent service from David our Doorman, as well from John and Brandon. I am sorry about the cleanliness issue in the bathroom, as well as the dumpster situation. The photo of the wine reception on one of our top floor terraces exists to convey the flexibility of our meeting space that can be reserved for private functions; I am sorry if it caused any confusion. I am glad you had the opportunity to visit both of our restaurants and had time to enjoy some coffee and the morning newspaper in our living room.

We look forward to your next visit,

Minneapolis
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2012

My friend & I stayed at the Lorien a few weeks ago for a short vacation to the DC area. What a wonderful place! Brabo's food & service was excellent, the wine reception a fun extra, the room clean & comfortable & the staff-WOW! I want to give Shane & Tiffani a shout-out, because they were the absolute best. Shane was so helpful in giving us tips on getting around DC. Tiffani really went the extra mile to make us feel special-when my friend asked if they changed the wines every evening for the reception, Tiffani said no, but what kind of wine did my friend like? My friend said it didn't matter, because we weren't sure if we would make it back in time that evening. When we did get back around 9PM, waiting in our room was a beautiful bottle of French wine & a fancy cheese plate-on the house. Our teeth dropped to the floor. We certainly didn't expect that! When we thanked Tiffani the next day, she just gave us a big smile. Management, if you read this, be sure to give them both kudos! We certainly will be back!

Room Tip: We had a room (328) with a connecting door to the next room, which made it more noisy (the couple ne...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Dear yumagirl,

Thank you for sharing the wonderful experiences you had at the hands of Tiffani and Shane. I was so thrilled to share your remarks with them. I am glad you enjoyed the great cuisine and service from our BRABO restaurant, as well as the wine and cheese surprise in your guest room.

Smithfield, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2012 via mobile

While attending a trade show in DC, my wife and I elected to stay in Alexandra and the Lorien Hotel. Perfect decision. Convenient and within walking distance to the metro and Amtrack station, the hotel is located on King Street in the Old Town District. Has a five star restaurant (Brabo) located in the facility. Highly recommend the "Tasting Room" as well. Walking distance to all the quaint shops, boutiques, pubs and restaurants located on King Street. The professional staff was very attentive. The only "issue" was that we stayed on the "back of the hotel" and the adjoining office complex had their dumpers emptied at 6:30AM on 2 mornings. We will definitely stay here again when traveling to the DC area.

• Stayed October 2012
1 Thank Chris J
Thomas F, General Manager at Kimpton Lorien Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, October 26, 2012
Dear Downtown27577,

I am pleased you and your wife chose the Lorien Hotel & Spa while you had a conference to attend in DC. As you noted, our location is hard to beat with its proximity to the Metro and Amtrak station, as well as being within walking distance of all the wonderful shops & restaurants King Street has to offer. I am glad you had the opportunity to enjoy both our restaurants during your visit. I am sorry you were disturbed by the dumpster pick up from the neighboring office building.

We look forward to your next visit,