“A very pleasant stay in a great location!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Kimpton Lorien Hotel & Spa
Ranked #8 of 53 Hotels in Alexandria
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“A very pleasant stay in a great location!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

Went for business for a convention recently, and had a pleasant time, comfortable stay with easy access to the metro. The hotel itself is small, but what it lacks in room size/hotel size, the staff generously makes up for it. Overly accommodating, friendly and always helpful and patient. I even brought my dog to test out their "pet friendliness" and they were fabulous. Even had spare poop pickup bags at the ready!!! Very good location, convenient to the metro to get into the city easily, as well as right next to a trolley stop that will take you up and down the main street to all the shops and restaurants from 10am-10pm. I was thrilled Kimpton definitely made an impression on me, as well as their outstanding staff at this location. Thank you!! Will definitely be back!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thomas F, General Manager at Kimpton Lorien Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, November 8, 2012
Dear kristyroot,

I am very pleased you chose to stay with us in Alexandria, even though you convention was up in DC. It appears you made good use of the Metro which is only two blocks away from the hotel. I am glad you found our staff friendly and at the ready to assist you and your dog.

We look forward to your return visit,

Thomas

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (284)
CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2012

I visited here for 3 days. Very clean, excellent service and staff goes over and above to please from the wine reception in late afternoon to the tea/coffee service in the morning. Supply yoga mat for your room if you want it and have some nice videos of pilates and yoga free on the TV. If you are a club member (just sign up) internet is free.

This is the best hotel in the DC area. About a quarter mile to the metro station with easy access off and on to the rest of DC.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thomas F, General Manager at Kimpton Lorien Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, November 5, 2012
Dear birdieca,

I am so pleased you enjoyed many of the little touches we have to offer from the complimentary evening wine reception to some of our fitness options. It sounds like you made good use of our proximity to the King Street Metro stop.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon,

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2012

I always look for Kimpton hotels to stay at wherever we end up, and the Lorien was once again a great experience. We had a spacious room, very clean, though a little stark! I felt like they needed one more picture on the wall or something...but other than that fantastic. It was my birthday that weekend so the hotel sent up a bottle of champagne and strawberries which made my day! We had dinner that evening at the amazing Brabo restaurant downstairs, which I highly recommend to everyone that comes to stay here.

Staff was friendly and helpful, and the location is great, just a block to the Metro to get downtown DC and it is located right on King Street in the charming Old Town Alexandria area, great restaurants and bars and shopping!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Angela J
Thomas F, General Manager at Kimpton Lorien Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, October 29, 2012
Dear Angela J,

First of all, a belated Happy Birthday! I am glad you enjoyed the champagne and strawberries and your dinner in BRABO. I was pleased to note you enjoyed our convenient location near the King Street Metro stop as well as all the shops & restaurants. I am sorry you found our minimalistic design approach a little stark, but hope the spaciousness and cleanliness more than made up for it.

See you again soon,

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2012

My wife and I took my 87-year-old father and 81-year-old mother to DC to visit the World War II Memorial. He was a B-29 bombardier stationed in the Pacific. When we arrived at the hotel, check-in procedures were fast and baggage movement was efficient. Many thanks to "David" for the friendly and courteous curb-side assistance. The front-desk staff introduced themselves (John "The Greek," and Brandon were very nice), and they remembered our names everytime we returned to the hotel from the day's activities. The rooms were clean and fresh - very modern decor. The bathrooms were nice and clean, but we did detect a little mold in the shower. The hair dryer was not in plain sight - it was in a small bag under the sink. My wife loved the small mounted magnifying mirror for make-up application and the fact that all lighting fixtures in the room, and bathroom, were on dimmer switches. The room was very quiet until the garbage truck arrived at 5 AM. Can't really blame the Lorien for that problem, but the dumpster banging was so loud, I'm sure everyone was awakened at 5 AM. We visited both on-site restaurants, which were excellent. The Brabo Tasting Room was particularly convenient and reasonably priced. The daily complimentary wine tasting at 5 PM was located in a living room-like area off the main lobby, not on the roof top as depicted on the hotel's web site. There was also an overflow area, through double french doors, where there was an outside patio and fire pit. Highly recommend a couple more tables and chairs on the patio. It was very nice outside, but seating was extremely limited. Morning coffee was served in the same location, along with an ample supply of complimentary newspapers (WSJ, Wash Post, USA Today, etc.) Check Out was just as easy and friendly as Check In. Valet Parking was a bit expensive, but that's to be expected, since metered parking was limited and risky. We will keep this hotel on our short list for a return visit.

Room Tip: Ask for a room far away from the back ally. This is where the garbage collection takes place - it i...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank TVinoski
Dear TVinoski,

I was pleased you chose to stay at the Lorien Hotel & Spa while taking your parents to see the World War II Memorial. It was nice to note you received excellent service from David our Doorman, as well from John and Brandon. I am sorry about the cleanliness issue in the bathroom, as well as the dumpster situation. The photo of the wine reception on one of our top floor terraces exists to convey the flexibility of our meeting space that can be reserved for private functions; I am sorry if it caused any confusion. I am glad you had the opportunity to visit both of our restaurants and had time to enjoy some coffee and the morning newspaper in our living room.

We look forward to your next visit,

Minneapolis
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2012

My friend & I stayed at the Lorien a few weeks ago for a short vacation to the DC area. What a wonderful place! Brabo's food & service was excellent, the wine reception a fun extra, the room clean & comfortable & the staff-WOW! I want to give Shane & Tiffani a shout-out, because they were the absolute best. Shane was so helpful in giving us tips on getting around DC. Tiffani really went the extra mile to make us feel special-when my friend asked if they changed the wines every evening for the reception, Tiffani said no, but what kind of wine did my friend like? My friend said it didn't matter, because we weren't sure if we would make it back in time that evening. When we did get back around 9PM, waiting in our room was a beautiful bottle of French wine & a fancy cheese plate-on the house. Our teeth dropped to the floor. We certainly didn't expect that! When we thanked Tiffani the next day, she just gave us a big smile. Management, if you read this, be sure to give them both kudos! We certainly will be back!

Room Tip: We had a room (328) with a connecting door to the next room, which made it more noisy (the couple ne...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Dear yumagirl,

Thank you for sharing the wonderful experiences you had at the hands of Tiffani and Shane. I was so thrilled to share your remarks with them. I am glad you enjoyed the great cuisine and service from our BRABO restaurant, as well as the wine and cheese surprise in your guest room.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon,

Smithfield, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2012 via mobile

While attending a trade show in DC, my wife and I elected to stay in Alexandra and the Lorien Hotel. Perfect decision. Convenient and within walking distance to the metro and Amtrack station, the hotel is located on King Street in the Old Town District. Has a five star restaurant (Brabo) located in the facility. Highly recommend the "Tasting Room" as well. Walking distance to all the quaint shops, boutiques, pubs and restaurants located on King Street. The professional staff was very attentive. The only "issue" was that we stayed on the "back of the hotel" and the adjoining office complex had their dumpers emptied at 6:30AM on 2 mornings. We will definitely stay here again when traveling to the DC area.

• Stayed October 2012
1 Thank Chris J
Thomas F, General Manager at Kimpton Lorien Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, October 26, 2012
Dear Downtown27577,

I am pleased you and your wife chose the Lorien Hotel & Spa while you had a conference to attend in DC. As you noted, our location is hard to beat with its proximity to the Metro and Amtrak station, as well as being within walking distance of all the wonderful shops & restaurants King Street has to offer. I am glad you had the opportunity to enjoy both our restaurants during your visit. I am sorry you were disturbed by the dumpster pick up from the neighboring office building.

We look forward to your next visit,

Virginia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2012

I work for a business close to the area. We hosted a conference at the hotel and booked around 30 rooms for the weekend. The location was in the middle of Old Town which was convenient for shopping and eating. The rooms were pretty nice and that's where it ends. Those would be the only good factors of the hotel.
When I got to the hotel, I found out that you can only use valet or you have to use the metered parking which is only for 3 hours maximum. That wasn't a big factor since the company was paying for the parking but it's good to know if you're driving there.
After checking in, the room smelled and I needed to iron my shirt for the reception we were holding in one of their conference rooms but there was no iron. When I opened the closet, there was an ironing board but no iron in the iron-holder. I looked all over the closet and couldn't find anything. After looking over the room, there wasn't an iron anywhere. So I called the front desk to ask for an iron before the reception starts and if they could spray my room to get rid of the smell. After waiting 20 minutes, no iron arrived. I called the front desk again saying that I didn't receive my iron but I needed to go to the reception so I asked if they could bring it to my room while I was out and if they could spray my room. They said "no problem." When I got back to my room, there was no iron and the smell in the room was still bad. So, again, I called the front desk asking for an iron (which I reminded them I called twice before asking for the same thing) and they said that a housekeeper will be right up to deliver it. 15 minutes roll by and I get a knock at the door. Instead of a housekeeper handing me an iron and/or spraying my room, it's the "head housekeeper" asking me if she can search my closet to see if there's an iron in there. I'm a 30 year old man. If you have someone come up to look at an empty closet, which I've looked through a couple time previously, then you're implying that I must be stupid and need someone to make sure that I don't have the iron in the empty closet instead of just giving me a new iron. So after she looks through the empty closet and confirms that there, in fact, is no iron, she leaves and comes back 15 minutes later with a new iron and sprayed my room to rid the smell. She mentions that they've had some smelling problems with the room I was in and the surrounding rooms. Apparently, it's just that side of the building. I believe I was in room 214 or 215. When you walk out of the elevator, turn right and it's at the end of the hallway. The housekeeper said that if the smell persist then call the front desk again and she'll bring a timer spray (one of those that you plug into the wall and shoots out spray every 30 minutes or so). That never came and they don't carry them, which I found out later.
I had no problem asking for an iron a couple times because I understand that it can get busy at a hotel front desk. I worked the front desk position at hotels for over 5 years but to take half a day to deliver an iron and then, on top of that, double-check to see if there is one there is uncalled for.
So the next day, we had our meetings. During one of them, I was asked to write up a report about the discussions that were being done. With a computer in every room, this seemed like an easy assignment. A 20 minute assignment turned into a 2 hour assignment. I was able to log onto the computer and typed up my report on the rooms computer, Microsoft Word, but I couldn't save it to my hard drive (which I plugged into the computer). I called the front desk and told them my situation. The front desk agent said that they've experienced this problem before and they'll have the GM come up to fix it since he was the one who handled the previous computer situation. He took his time to come up, probably another 15-20 minutes (no urgency in staff response), and took a look at my computer. Realizing he couldn't fix it, he asked if it was okay to contact an IT help desk to assist. I said it wasn't a problem but I did have a meeting going on and needed to complete this assignment. 30 minutes later and the IT Help Desk couldn't remedy the situation. He told me to sign up for the internet (which has a cost), send it to my email, and he'll waive the internet fee since I couldn't save the document to a hard drive. I was okay with the result but not happy that it took so long to complete. It's hard to believe that if you have a computer in every room with free access to word and excel but you can't save your work. That doesn't make any sense. The GM couldn't give me a real response when I told him this.
On the Saturday night, I went out with some of our attendees and came back without my valet ticket and rear view mirror car ticket. I told the valet, they gave me a new ticket, and told me to tell the front desk about the new numbers. I went to the front desk, told the gentleman behind the counter that I received a new valet ticket, gave him the new number and told him my room number. Everything should've been good.
When I went to checkout the next morning, I gave the valet my ticket while I waited for the checkout process. The valet attendant came back to me later saying that the ticket was not in their system and couldn't find my car. I got a little nervous but then realized I received the new ticket yesterday so they looked up my old valet number and were able to find my car. That means the front desk agent, the night before, didn't add my new number to the system. Another thing the front desk forgot to do.
The front desk lady, that morning was very friendly, and asked "other than the valet mix up, was everything else with your stay satisfactory?"
I wasn't going to mention any of my previous grievances but when she asked me, I figured that I should be truthful. After mentioning my entire stay, she was shocked and very sorry for everything that happened. She asked for my number, which I gave her, and said that someone will call me later. I said that I wasn't looking for anything but happy they'll pass on the information for future reference.
I received a phone call the next week from a gentleman named Eric, I think, saying that he received the negative information and would like to speak to me. He left a number to reach him so I called back and it just rang forever. So I tried again later in the day and it just kept ringing with no response. He called me again a week later and when I returned his call, within minutes of receiving the voice mail, it just kept ringing with no response. I transferred my call to the front desk and they said they'll relay my message. Never heard back.
I say don't waste your time at this hotel. I know for a fact that we won't hold any conferences here in the future. Not because of what happened to me but my bosses told me the staff and service were very good. The staff needs to start working a little harder or it's nothing but bad news for this hotel.
If service and staff is not a big deal to you then you should consider this place.

Room Tip: Don't stay in corner rooms to the right of elevator. VERY SMELLY
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Judson L
Thomas F, General Manager at Kimpton Lorien Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, October 23, 2012
Dear Judson L,

Please accept my apologies for the frustrations and lost work productivity you endured while I attempted and was not successful at assisting you with saving a document you created on the in-room computer. As a takeaway from this situation, I made a follow up call to the in-room computer provider and received written instructions on how to perform this function. This information has been shared with our Front Desk and Engineering Staff. I am sorry it took more than one call to have an iron delivered to your room, and that Eric was not able to connect with you in order to discuss your stay with us. I have reviewed all of your feedback with our staff, so we can benefit from your unfortunate experiences. We pride ourselves on delivering exceptional service, but also on correcting things for the future in the instances when we do not get it right the first time.

I appreciate the thoughts on your stay, but do hope we will able to welcome you back someday to the Lorien Hotel & Spa.

Regards,