“Loved it!!”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Glendale, California
“Loved it!!”
Reviewed October 22, 2012

My husband and I were visiting family in Alexandria. We'd had a great stay a few years ago at the Kimpton Palomar in D.C., so we decided to try the Lorien. It was lovely. We had a modern, spacious, sunlit room with king bed and high-end fixtures. Everything was immaculate. The entire staff was friendly and efficient. We had after-dinner drinks at the Brabo Restaurant the first night, then dinner there the second night and breakfast the next morning. Fun atmosphere and delicious food. Continental breakfast was on the house! It was not the usual cold, sugary pastry one gets as "free continental breakfast" but great choices. I got the warm chocolate croissant, and my husband got the English muffin with house-made preserves. Fresh orange juice, coffee and beautifully-presented plates of various sliced fruits were also included. All in all, our experience there was extremely positive, and we will definitely return in the future.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Thomas F, General Manager at Kimpton Lorien Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, October 23, 2012
Dear Lyn F,

I am glad you decided to try another Kimpton hotel and chose the Lorien Hotel & Spa. I was pleased to read you really enjoyed the décor and cleanliness of your room and that you discovered our BRABO restaurant and had three wonderful experiences.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon,

Thomas

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (288)
Hamlin, New York
Reviewed October 22, 2012

Lorien’s location is convenient to subway (King St. stop, yellow and blue line) Old Town, and DC. Our room was very small, clean and the bed was comfortable. Not much of a view, we overlooked the courtyard. We spent such a small amount of time in the room that the size and view were not a big deal. If our stay had been longer than a few days then it may have been an issue. We found the bathroom door to be very unique and like the look of it but felt it did not offer much privacy. I thought no coffee in the room, yikes at this price! Then I went downstairs in the morning to fresh brewed cup of coffee and enjoyed it. We found the hotel staff to be very friendly, especially the valet people out front and the person (woman) my husband spoke with prior to our stay. She was very helpful in providing us with public transportation information. We made arrangements to get a private car to take us to Mount Vernon then to Arlington. Lorien is located at the beginning of King St coming from the subway. Most of the shops and restaurants are towards the water. Everything is in walking distance and there is a free trolley if you wish to ride. Trolley stops are marked clearly on the lamp posts. We loved strolling through the neighborhood looking at homes built in the 16-1800’s

Room Tip: Check out sniqueaway.com for a deal on the room.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear MT5700,

I am glad you took advantage of our convenient location on King Street where we are two blocks from the Metro stop, and within walking distance to all the shops & restaurants. I was pleased to note you enjoyed our complimentary freshly brewed coffee in the lobby, and that you found our valet staff to be especially helpful.

We look forward to your next visit,

Kittredge, Colorado
Reviewed October 16, 2012

I am a longtime guest of the Lorien and can say that the inconsistency of service, cleanliness and overall value of this hotel has recently left a bad impression. I was a huge advocate of this hotel for business and pleasure stays, but will be staying elsewhere during my upcoming trips to Old Town. My recent stay involved an incredible amount of noise pollution from internal and external sources, a room change for cleanliness reasons and a relatively unconcerned staff. I will say that upon expressing my concerns via survey the manager of the hotel contacted me immediately. I'd like to see this hotel turn itself around as it's a GREAT location and has a GREAT hotel restaurant and bistro.

Room Tip: DO not stay in Room 411 or 410.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank lisanichols20
Thomas F, General Manager at Kimpton Lorien Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, October 18, 2012
Dear lisanichols20,

Please again accept my apologies for the issues you experienced during your visit last month. I certainly appreciate your position and I am sorry we did not deliver the usual fine service that you have been accustomed to at the Lorien Hotel & Spa. I want to assure you the Lorien staff is focused on delivering an ever improving product and experience, and we look forward to regaining your trust on a future visit.

Regards,

Metuchen
Reviewed October 15, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for a 3-day conference. The hotel was lovely and the food was really fantastic! Excellent location. The staff were extremely helpful and courteous. Literally, my only complaint is that the shower leaked water all over the bathroom. I'm sure the door just needed a simple adjustment, but what a mess. Glad I don't have to clean that up every day.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Rob S
Thomas F, General Manager at Kimpton Lorien Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, October 17, 2012
Dear Rob S,

I am glad you enjoyed your conference experience, and especially the cuisine that was provided. I am sorry about the shower leaking onto the bathroom floor; we will investigate this to ensure it doesn’t continue. It was nice to read you found our staff to be very friendly and accommodating.

We look forward to your next visit,

Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed October 9, 2012

This is easily the best hotel stay I have ever had. Right from the start, the customer service lady was very polite and courteous over the phone, while assisting me with my reservations. When I arrived, the valet driver was a delight and very patient. The warm welcome at the front desk was endearing, and since it was my birthday, I received a "Happy Birthday", and a bag of goodies. A wonderful gentleman insisted on helping me with my bags to my room. He also told me the layout of the hotel and what there is to do in the area. A delightful surprise of champagne and chocolate covered strawberries awaited me in the room, as well as a ticket to enjoy items from the minibar. The room was beautiful, unique, and perfect. The cleanliness of the entire hotel was wholly spotless. The atmosphere of each part of the hotel and dining areas were inviting and artistically mapped out.

It's alwalys a delight to see travelers with their pets welcomed just as warmly, and the care options for pets are very comforting. I know that I can bring my puppy here and feel secure about it.

The servers in the restaurants are just as delightful as those in the hotel. Two of the bartenders for the night were very charistmatic upon giving me my two glasses of birthday champagne and dessert. (It really pays to become an Intouch member, with such great perks).

The team at the Lorien will bend over backwards for you. One of the staff members even recovered a much needed item for me from my car, in the middle of the night. The following day, a very gracious gentleman offered to take my bags to my car, while I explored Old Town Alexandria on foot (The Lorien is in an ideal location for this luxury). Later on, the valet driver brought my car around, with all of my bags all packed in neatly in the back. WHAT A PERFECT STAY! A gorgeous place and an outstanding staff made my birthday night extraordinary. Couldn't have asked for anything better because better than this just doesn't exist. :D

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Thomas F, General Manager at Kimpton Lorien Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, October 12, 2012
Dear Kat131313,

Thank you for choosing to spend your Birthday with the team at the Lorien Hotel & Spa and BRABO. We all really enjoy putting a smile on our guest’s face, so I am thrilled we had the impact on you. I am glad you had such wonderful interactions with our staff, and enjoyed all the amenities of the hotel, as well as our location.

We hope to welcome you back before your next birthday!

Florida
Reviewed October 6, 2012

You walk in and the hotel smells great! Staff is very helpful and friend,y, there is a courtyard with a fire pot for cold evenings. Wine at 5 pm is very nice. Breakfast is very English but extremely good. Very clean and modern rooms with great views of Alexandria. Stayed with my sister for a Spa weekend and we were delighted with our facials. just a great place, will definitely stay here again, very close to metro and dc is 15 minutes away. Alexandria is a nice place to visit.
Take the ghost tour if you can! Tons of fun. Hotel value is good as well.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank LEJQ
Thomas F, General Manager at Kimpton Lorien Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, October 8, 2012
Dear LEJQ,

I am glad you enjoyed the fire pit in the terrace just off our lobby, perhaps with a glass of wine! I am pleased you had the opportunity to enjoy facials in the Spa with your sister, as well as breakfast in BRABO. I am delighted you took advantage of our convenient location just two blocks from the Metro stop.

We hope to welcome you back soon,
Reviewed October 5, 2012

Great service and great location! Valet, Front desk and entire staff did an amazing job. My new home in the DC area. I also used the King Street Metro station about a couple blocks away. The airport was only about 15 minutes from the Hotel.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Rumor1
Dear Rumor1,

I was so pleased to note you received excellent service from all of the hotel team members that interacted with you. I am glad you discovered we are conveniently located near the King Street Metro stop as well as Reagan Airport.

We look forward to being your home in the DC area,