“Spa was a huge disappointment”

Kimpton Lorien Hotel & Spa
Ranked #7 of 54 Hotels in Alexandria
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Baltimore, Maryland
“Spa was a huge disappointment”
Reviewed October 27, 2011

I meant to write this review upon completion of my trip last year but now that I am researching taking another trip figured better late than never. I decided to book a local trip in order to stay close in case family needed me and was very excited to get away with relaxation being the main focus. I chose Lorien because of there being a spa right on site. I will start with the good, the hotel itself was WONDERFUL. Very clean, very comfortable and I found the front desk staff to be VERY accommodating but if you are booking this property for use of the spa I would perhaps try another property and take your spa services elsewhere.

I booked a massage well in advance of my visit and paid quite a bit of money only to be very disappointed. I found the steam room to be dirty and my massage (if you can call it that) to be one of the worst I've ever had. The woman who provided the massage decided to focus heavily on sacrocranial massage (something that was not even written in the description of services, let alone told to me before starting). Basically it consisted of her holding her hands over various parts of my body to transmit energy. While I believe very much in alternative methods of therapy, I was looking for a good old massage and did not get what I paid a very expensive price for.

I told the front desk upon check out and they told me they would have a spa manager call me. Good news - she did, within an hour of check out. Bad news - when I tried to return her call that was the last I heard of my complaint even though she mentioned in her previous message wanting to provide me with a free massage in the future to keep me as a return customer of Lorien.

Now that a year has gone by and the situation was not rectified, it looks like eventhough I'm making this an annual trip, I will not be staying at the Lorien and will take my spa business elsewhere.

Stayed December 2010, traveled solo
2 Thank Michele D

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (288)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed October 24, 2011

My husband and I have stayed here on three separate occasions (one of which was our wedding night) and can't say enough in support of the Lorien. This hotel is spotless and beautiful, has a great location, excellent food at Brabo and the Brabo Tasting Room, and best of all provides personalized, unpretentious, responsive service for a price that is reasonable for this class of establishment. The Lorien is a five minute walk from the Metro, and King Street has an impressive variety of restaurants and activities. We once brought our dog and, as with all Kimptons, he received a lovely reception. Unlike many hotels, the "dog" room was of the same quality as its non-pet counterparts, and actually larger. Plus, no one can argue with a free happy hour. Great place, will keep going back.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
LorienHotelManager, General Manager at Kimpton Lorien Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, October 26, 2011
Dear Puresummerhouse,

Thank you so much for staying with us three times and considering us your second home. We look forward to seeing you again soon and of course your dog is always welcome as well.

Until the next visit!
seattle
Reviewed October 18, 2011

When travelling in/around DC, I will never stay anywhere else (and I have stayed in many places!!) I just wish my trip had been longer, so that I could have enjoyed the spa!! Everything was perfect - the room was gorgeous (spacious, luxurious, clean - even an excellent selection in the mini-bar, e.g. La Crema Pinot Noir!), fantastic, friendly customer service (e.g. free upgrade on arrival), excellent food (both Brabo and the tasting room next door), and an ideal location (heart of Old Town) - I LOVED it!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
Dear Jen w,

We are so glad you enjoyed your visit to the Lorien Hotel and Spa. It was great to read that you enjoyed almost all we have to offer. Next time, you definitely should work in a spa appointment if time permits, you will not be dissapointed.

Hope to see you again soon!
Toronto
Reviewed October 18, 2011

Late in posting.

I booked the Lorien for August 29th to September 5th. I travelled with my teenage son.

Room was amazing and modern - everything is thought of! Nice bathroom no tub in our room :(

I was worried about location - turned out to be perfect for getting in/out of Washington for sightseeing!

I liked the good quality coffee served for free from 6-9AM - helps get your day off to a good start!

Only drawback was the common areas were small!

Lots of restaurants nearby and a whole foods.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Dear TorontoTravelgirl23,

I am so glad we could be a part of your trip to Washington D.C. with your teenage son. I am very glad you had an "amazing" time and we look forward to seeing you again soon.
Birmingham, Alabama
Reviewed October 17, 2011

I love stayuing at this hotel. It is small enough that getting to hte room is easy. The beds are wonderful. So cozy that it's hard to get up. the hotel is located near all kinds of restaurants and near the Metro. Hotel staff surpass all expectations. It is a great place to stay in the DC area.

Dear trip0128,

So glad to read "Another great stay!". Thank you very much for your continued support and loyalty to the Lorien Hotel and Spa. We try to exceed all expectations daily and we are glad to see we are exceeding yours!

Looking forward to seeing again soon!
Denver
Reviewed October 10, 2011

The Lorien is a pleasure! I have stayed here multiple times over the last couple years (our headquarters office is walking distance in Old Town and it is right by the Metro), and can only say that all other hotels need to visit this one for a lesson in exemplary hospitality. On my most recent trip, the very nice gentleman at the front desk informed me that I was being upgraded to a suite in the hotel (which has an amazing balcony by the way). He then suggested he should complete the first class treatment with a complementary drink in the bar. Seriously? The suite wasn't enough? Believe me, no one at a Westin airport is treating me like this. This was heaven! And that's another great selling point about Kimpton hotels in general, and the Lorien in particular. The hotel bar is classy. There's no lecherous businessmen lurking in the corners, but locals and plenty of mixed comapny so you feel perfectly comfortable having a drink or dinner by yourself. First rate all the way around. I highly recommend this hotel.

Mountain Home, Arkansas
Reviewed October 10, 2011

I have now enjoyed 2 different stays at the Lorien while on business in the DC area and it is perfect in so many ways...close proximity to my clients, FANTASTIC staff Maria, Danielle, Mitch and Omar, and wonderful CLEAN & RELAXING rooms! It is so nice to come back to the hotel to relax after intense meetings and of course the DC traffic!! Again, this is the place for me when I travel to and around the DC area. Thanks Again Lorien Hotel Staff.

Room Tip: Become a Kimpton member today!