New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Denver
“Above and beyond”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2011

The Lorien is a pleasure! I have stayed here multiple times over the last couple years (our headquarters office is walking distance in Old Town and it is right by the Metro), and can only say that all other hotels need to visit this one for a lesson in exemplary hospitality. On my most recent trip, the very nice gentleman at the front desk informed me that I was being upgraded to a suite in the hotel (which has an amazing balcony by the way). He then suggested he should complete the first class treatment with a complementary drink in the bar. Seriously? The suite wasn't enough? Believe me, no one at a Westin airport is treating me like this. This was heaven! And that's another great selling point about Kimpton hotels in general, and the Lorien in particular. The hotel bar is classy. There's no lecherous businessmen lurking in the corners, but locals and plenty of mixed comapny so you feel perfectly comfortable having a drink or dinner by yourself. First rate all the way around. I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars
    • 5 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (269)
Mountain Home, Arkansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2011

I have now enjoyed 2 different stays at the Lorien while on business in the DC area and it is perfect in so many ways...close proximity to my clients, FANTASTIC staff Maria, Danielle, Mitch and Omar, and wonderful CLEAN & RELAXING rooms! It is so nice to come back to the hotel to relax after intense meetings and of course the DC traffic!! Again, this is the place for me when I travel to and around the DC area. Thanks Again Lorien Hotel Staff.

Room Tip: Become a Kimpton member today!
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Syracuse, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2011

I live in hotels 4-6 months of each year and truly appreciate the comfort, peace of mind and ease that well managed hotels offer. The Lorien is impeccably maintained, efficiently run, perfectly located and comfortable with a touch of elegance. I travelled on business, with two pets in tow, and my stay was both relaxing and productive. I regret that my schedule didn't permit a spa visit--the spa services looked great and the prices seemed very reasonable. Coffee in the morning and wine in the evening are always a plus at Kimpton Hotels. The Lorien's location in Old Town Alexandria, a city with great charm and history, and a stone's throw from the DC metro is ideal. The staff is professional, courteous, and knowledgable.

Room Tip: I enjoyed my second floor room with a balcony overlooking the courtyard. I could open the french do...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Suffolk, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2011

I stayed at the Lorien for business. I love that they offer rooms at government rates so that I stay within my spending limit, but I still get the boutique hotel service! I arrived very late at night and the valet and front desk staff were very pleasant and immediately responsive. In fact, throughout my stay, the front desk staff recognized me and made polite conversation, and were always very professional. It really made my experience better knowing that they were interested in their guests. I love that the hotel is located within walking distance (5 mins) of the Metro...it means I can finish my meetings and get back in time for wine hour after work! It goes without saying that the guest rooms are fabulous, very posh and comfortable.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars
LorienHotelManager, General Manager at Kimpton Lorien Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, October 5, 2011
Dear l0vet0travel78,

Thank you for your review about your recent visit. We try and accomodate all guests at all times whether they are visiting for business or pleasure. I am happy to read that you felt recognized and we were interested in making your stay a great one. We hope to see you soon. . .
Williamsburg, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2011

Had such a wonderful , actually perfect, stay at the Loiren Hotel. A chic, luxurious, and immaculate boutique hotel that was the perfect setting for a girlfriend getaway. The hotel staff made us feel pampered and the spa was a dreamy experience. I would highly recommend this hotel for a special getaway with your spouse, too. Can't wait to go back!!

• 4 of 5 stars
Dear Malolimpi,

Thank you for review of the hotel! We can not wait for you to come back as well. I highly recommend you bring your spouse as you mentioned next time for special getaway!!
Holmdel, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2011

Just returned from a weekend stay. Staff is exceptional and rooms are comfortable. Location is ideal and most everything is within walking distance. There is complimentary tea and coffee served every morning in the "living room" which is a warm and pleasant room to take a break. Complimentary wine is served from 5-6pm. I did not avail myself of the spa but it seemed very nice. It is a great place to stay. Terry T..

Middletown, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2011

This weekend was an annual girlfriend getaway. We found a great deal on Sniqueaway and since one of our party had been at the Lorien once before, she highly recommended that we sign up for this deal. The Lorien is in the heart of Old Town Alexandria on King Street. They have curbside valets who are truly treasures. They are friendly and quick to help with any request. As you walk through the European-type courtyard and approach the front door, it magically opens because someone at the front desk saw you coming and invited you into the hotel.

At the front desk, the personnel is knowledgeable, accommodating and always available. Some of the things the front desk did for us included directing us to great restaurants and sights in the area, offering to provide a ride to a local movie theatre rather than us taking the Metro, and compensating us by waiving parking/movie fees for missing a wake-up call.

The amenities are comfortable and special. The hotel has a spa that we did not use. They also have an exercise room that has TVs for every machine and provide headphones for those that forgot to bring them. The treadmill was easy to operate and provided a great 30 minute workout. In the rooms, there is a computer provided for your convenience with free internet access as well as a very big screen TV. I brought my own computer and had a very easy time logging on to the internet. The beds were so comfortable and the temperature easy to control. Not to mention the wine hour at 5pm and tea and coffee in the living room in the morning.

The hotel provides a whole host of things for their guests as complimentary. Such things as a bed wedge to prop you up to read and a Belgian Chocolate Pillow which is a supplement to assist in a restful and relaxing sleep.

No matter where you meet the staff, they are friendly and very helpful.

This was such a wonderful hotel, I want to find a way to return to experience it again. If you are looking for a hotel in the Washington area and are able to consider Alexandria as a possible site, you must try this hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms on the back of the hotel are brighter. If you face the hotel, you may want a room with a balc...