“Fantastic Hotel - Especially for Business”

Kimpton Lorien Hotel & Spa
Ranked #8 of 54 Hotels in Alexandria
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Seattle, Washington
“Fantastic Hotel - Especially for Business”
Reviewed August 25, 2011

Really loved my first trip here to the Alexandria area. Nice place to visit and the Lorien is right in the center of all the great sights - right on King Street. I walked almost everywhere nearby to eat and shop, on the hours I wasn't working. It's a great spot for business travel - very comfortable home & office away from home. Front desk staff was super helpful when I received not one but 4 shipments to my room. Really comfy Kimpton beds with great choices in pillows. Wine reception every night (free wine) and lots of fun local ideas to make your trip a little more enjoyable. The room service was amazingly delicious and promptly on-time. HIGHLY recommend this place!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (286)
Durham, NC
Reviewed August 25, 2011

This hotel is a standout--particularly at its price point. The staff is welcoming and work really hard to give you a great experience. The night before my stay, a staff member emailed me to say they had secured me a room to my preferences (away from the elevator and with feather pillows). This is a service for members of their free club. At 9:30 that night, I emailed back and asked if I could have a neck roll pillow in my room. I immediately received a reply! Upon checking in the next day, I was offered a glass of wine. So nice! When I went up to my room, I noticed that the neck roll was missing (even though they had mentioned it at check in). On my way out to dinner, I told the front desk. They apologized and promised to send one up right away. When I returned to my room, not only were the pillows there but also a HANDWRITTEN note of apology along with a bottle of wine. I LOVE this hotel and plan to stay there each time I'm in town for business. I always have a GREAT experience.

Room Tip: Join their Kimpton Club and they will record and save your special requests.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
Dallas, Pennsylvania
Reviewed August 24, 2011

We decided to break away from the cool breezes of our home in the mountains to travel to sultry Alexandria, VA over the July 4th holiday.
Yes, it is worth the trip to the Lorien any time of the year. This boutique hotel welcomes us as if we were family..maybe even better..since we do not always like our family members. The location on King Street was key to the decision because my husband loves a walking town. The Spa is my reason for the selection of the hotel. The Free King St. Trolley was huge attraction for my husband because you can get on and off without any transfers or tickets. The Spa is a first-rate treatment sanctuary tucked into the lower level of the building. We found a lovely garden spot and ate our continental breakfast outside. This is not a chain hotel with stamped and molded staff. Nor is is it more bang for your buck room. The Lorien is your escape from your prudent,rational, ordinary, fuddy-duddy life! The reality is share a dream and have a rapturous get-a-way weekend with your special someone!

Room Tip: Arrive early for the best view.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed August 24, 2011

We got a special rate through an online service, and were only slightly concerned that it was a "pet-friendly" hotel, fearing that barking might disturb us. But from the welcome glass of wine when we arrived to the helpful front desk who made us dinner reservations at the BEST seafood place in town (Hank's Oyster Bar), it was really perfect. The Metro was a few blocks away, and the trip into DC was easy at all hours. It was also nice to get out of the bustle of Washington and into the cozy streets of Alexandria. Highly recommended.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed August 23, 2011

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Lorien for my birthday. We had massages in the spa (wonderful), dinner at Brabo (good but not great - loved the appetizers, desserts, and wine), and in-room breakfast the next day. I loved the look of the hotel, and we have no complaints about the staff. Recommend strolling down King Street from the Lorien to the river.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Hartford, CT
Reviewed August 23, 2011

Stayed here via priceline for four days. Think W Hotel and you have the concept of the Lorien. The not so good: Signed up for frequent stay account on the Lorien website and entered stay preferences, etc and the information was not received. Therefore, our first room was not acceptable(parlor door) and second room was the size of a thimble. I must thank Danielle for coming to our room to show us available options. After some research, we were happy in our new room. She was very helpful and went out of her way to please. The good: What's nice about the location is you feel as though you're on a quiet side street when in reality the Hotel is downtown.
Walking to all the restaurants and shops is a breeze. Parking is valet only, so keep that in mind. The Hotel is a great base to visit D.C.(20 minutes) and the National Harbor area. If you've haven't visited Alexandria, you are in for a treat. We enjoyed our visit and our stay at the Lorien. We look forward to our next visit!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
orlando
Reviewed August 21, 2011

Stayed here for a girlfriend getway with my best friend and we were treated like VIP guests. From the personal greatings upon arrival, until the arrangement of car services and shuttles upon leaving, we were treated to a exquisite experience. I highly reccomend the terrace suites. They have beautiful views of Old Town Alexandria....great for having breakfast or an evening cocktail. All of the staff are professional and friendly They really understand high level customer service. We also had a great experience with our spa services. The massages and facials were magnificent.. Lastly, you simply must try the restaurant Brabo. We ate dinner there the first night and didn't want to eat anywhere else during our stay. The menu options are a Belgian journey into flavor and texture.

Lisa

Room Tip: Ask for the terrace suite
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends