“Modern Oasis in Old Town Alexandria”

Kimpton Lorien Hotel & Spa
Ranked #6 of 54 Hotels in Alexandria
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed April 22, 2011

We stayed at the Lorien on the 16th of April. We made a weekend excursion to the dogfish head brewery in Delaware and this was a great way to round off our trip. First off, this was our first time in Alexandria and it was very pretty. I think they could do more with what they have. The town should embrace their history. Instead, the welcome center or Ramsey house (oldest house in Alexandria) is nothing more than a pamphlet outlet with vending machines.
Pros: We arrived at the hotel and the guy working at the front desk was very nice. He allowed us to carry our own luggage to the room. This hotel is very modern looking and very clean. Kimpton has a wine reception from 5-6 and we definitely took advantage. This hotel is also pet friendly. We asked for ice and instead of telling us where to go since they do not have ice machines, they brought it to our room within minutes (at 11 o clock at night). The front desk was very helpful with dinner recommendations although they do push the restaurants on premises which is understandable since it's the number one rated place to eat according to tripadvisor. We called the front desk for coffee around 11 in the morning and were willing to pay for the large pot of coffee but was quickly called back and told that we could get free java downstairs. The day we were departing, we asked for a late checkout and they were so accommodating that they allowed us to stay until 2 o'clock. VERY nice considering it rained the entire day before and didn't get to enjoy the site seeing and wanted to squeeze it in.
Cons: The only complaint we had which is extremely minor is that the location that they have the wine reception is quite small. One family took up the entire sitting area and we had to sit next to the front desk.
FYI -- if you are looking for a great brunch, try Murphy's Pub. It's on King street within walking distance. Mimosa's & Steak and eggs for $9. You can't beat it! Especially since Alexandria seemed pretty yuppie and the other restaurants seemed to charge $15+ for breakfast.
Thanks to the Lorien for the great stay!

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
Lorien-FOM, Manager at Kimpton Lorien Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded May 1, 2011

Dear OHTransplant3,

Thank you so much for nice comments! We definitely take pride as team here to make sure all of our guests are very well taken care of and experience a warm and friendly stay! Great comments all around and thanks again for sharing!

Warm regards,

Lee Seiler

Reviewed April 22, 2011

Stayed here for a local getaway weekend and had a fantastic time. The rooms are top-notch, restaurant was spectacular, and we even brought the dog. Highly recommend Brabo's for dinner if you stay.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
LorienHotelManager, General Manager at Kimpton Lorien Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded April 25, 2011

Dear Bashardc,

Thank you for your comments on your recent visit. Please come and escape with us whenever your schedule allows in the future.

Reviewed April 5, 2011

My daughter and I spent one night at the Lorien this month. We had shopped around and found a great deal at the hotel's web site. I booked the room about 6 weeks in advance and kept checking the price. It dropped over 40 dollars by the time of our stay. We arrived and were checked in. We had requested a complimentary upgrade and a late checkout. We were upgraded to a fantastic terrace suite. The room was fantastic with a bathroom larger than my bedroom at home. The terrace overlooked King St.. It had a seperate sitting room.
We ate at Brabo that night. The meal was fantastic. We ate at the Tasting room the next day for lunch and loved it.
We had booked several spa treatments and all of them were exceptional.

I would hightly recommend this hotel for a girls' getaway weekend.

Room Tip: Be a Kimpton in touch member
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed March 28, 2011

We spent the weekend in January and were thrilled with the property. Our room was small but extremely comfortable. My Kimpton profile requests a quiet room and they delivered. We found an excellent rate that included a movie, popcorn and daily F&B credit. Dinner at Brabo was excellent and so was the service. They brought my husband dessert for his birthday based on a mention of it in the hotel reservation.

The gym was clean, modern and virtually empty. We enjoyed the wine hour each evening and the staff really made us feel welcome.

Overall, the hotel exceeded our expectations and we look forward to returning.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 25, 2011

Lovely decor & general ambience, good service, friendly & helpful hotel staff. I had a heavenly massage at the spa. I very much enjoyed my stay. This was my first time at a Kimpton hotel and I'm most definitely a convert. Everything was designed for aesthetics & function. I appreciated the thought behind the room design & the amenities available. The location was great, steps from the King St. metro, easy ride to Reagan National flying in & out and easy ride down to the Smithsonian museums. Also there is a free trolley riding up & down King St. that you can use to hop down to the waterfront.
The only downside was breakfast at Brabo was very slow & the food nothing special. The service seemed to have odd delays which made no sense as there were only a couple people in the restaurant when I was there. I didn't bother going back.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed March 25, 2011

My husband and I met friends of ours at this hotel for a weekend in Alexandria and DC. The couple we stayed with had a young son and we were able to get adjoining rooms so once the kid went to sleep, we could still hang out in the next room without leaving him unattended. The hotel staff was very accommodating with any request. Our room was spacious and had the most comfortable bed I've ever slept in at a hotel! The location was perfect as well. It was within walking distance of all the shops and scenery of Alexandria but also close to the Metro station for easy access into DC. Overall, great stay and would stay here again.

Reviewed March 15, 2011

This past weekend we had a Couples Retreat at the Lorien and what a treat!! The beauty of this hotel was breathtaking. The staff was absolutely helpful and caring. I bumped into one of the Lorien Maintenance men on the elevator and he said if there is ANYTHING you need call me. I thought that was really nice. The location of this hotel has to be the best location in Alexandria. All the ladies got top notch massages, facials and some got scrubs, they were all exceptional. I had the chance to visit a few of the other Kimpton Hotels on King street and they all were immaculent. I am always afraid when a hotel says they allow animals that there will be some sort of smell. All of the Kimpton line hotels I have visted have been an absolute pleasure, very clean and I would pick them over any line of hotel.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
Lorien-FOM, Manager at Kimpton Lorien Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded March 20, 2011

Dear veden94,

Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us at the Lorien hotel and Spa! All of us here are so thrilled that your stay was a successful one. Our hotel is designed for all of our guests to experience the finest in spa services and have an amazing relaxing stay where all of us truly want your experience to be phenomenal! I will definitely share your thoughts with the team! Thanks again for the nice words and we hope to see you again very soon at the Lorien or at any of our wonderful Kimpton properties!

Warm regards,