“Dollar for dollar, the best resturant in Alexandria!”
Review of Kabul Kabob House

Ranked #380 of 765 Restaurants in Alexandria
Dining options: Buffet
Neighborhood: Landmarks / Van Dorn
Reviewed December 17, 2011

I'm a local, and I go to this restaurant frequently. Some consider it the best kabob restaurant in Alexandria, but dollar for dollar, I consider it to be the best resturant in Alexandria. Located in a non-descript strip mall 5-6 miles west of Old Town, Kabul Kabob House has an extensive menu, not just kabobs but with stews, salads soups, appetizers, etc. One could show up daily for a week and not come near trying everything. EVERYTHING is delicious. The food is spiced but not spicy/hot -- meats, poultry, etc is tender, vegetables and rice are outstandng, soups and appetizers are great. Remember -- this is Afghani food, not Middle Eastern. If you are looking for lots of ambience go elsewhere, but if you want a clean restaurant with excellent food (and plenty of it) and affordable prices, Kabul Kabob House should be your first choice!

2  Thank Taurusean
There are newer reviews for Kabul Kabob House

Reviewed November 19, 2011

We discovered this restaurant through the "Cheap Eats" article in the Washingtonian, and it was well worth the trip! Service was fast and food was delicious. The buffet was a little limited, so we chose to split a tandoori kabob platter. It was great-tasting and filling for 2 people. Don't skip out on the appetizers (there are tons of good ones) and they have free help-yourself bottomless hot tea. The atmosphere was very relaxed; they had tv's with sports games running and we had a nice conversation with the friendly cashier who came out to watch with us. It's small and definitely has a hole in the wall feel to it (complete with conference room-esque chairs, flimsy tables, and 2 large goldfish aquariums) but don't let that fool you!

Reviewed November 11, 2011

We ate dinner here two out of the five nights we spent in Alexandria. The service is not reliable and a bit haphazard. I didn't get an accompaniment I ordered with my meal, until I was almost finished it. We had to ask several times for water.
The food was good and the portions ample the first night we went. The following night although we ordered the same thing, the portions were markedly smaller. And we s till had to be onto the waitress about getting our tea and water.

Reviewed May 10, 2010

I spotted this restaurant last week and tried it for the first time tonight. It's one in a long strip of restaurants in this little center, and the atmosphere isn't anything special at all--just a typical storefront place. But the food was a very pleasant surprise. I tried a spicy chicken/rice dish. (I can't find an online menu to find the exact name of it.) That plate alone would be worth going back for again and again! There were a few carry-out customers when I was there about 6 p.m. on a weeknight, but I hope the word spreads. A place like this deserves to be packed with appreciative customers!

1  Thank cjsalexva
Reviewed December 29, 2009

Got take-out here on Christmas Day 2009 for the whole family. Nice people in a small shop. Spicy patties, lamb two ways, and chicken tandori. All with different accompanying side dishes, along with rice and absolutely huge naan pressed out right on the grill (bread to die for). Each big meal for about $12, except for the house specialty that was about $14. Worth every penny. If you eat in, there is unlimited free hot tea - local herb. There were lots of cheaper things on the extensive menu, but I wanted a full experience. Small shop, but seemingly very hygenic. **In an area, however, I was advised might not be the best after dark.** So, go early for dinner or take-out, or go for lunch. In a convenient shopping center with plenty of easy parking, across from the McDonalds, on a main street. Your taste buds will thank you.

1  Thank AthensBulldawg