All reviewsold townfull kitchenfree shuttleeisenhower metrometro tracksone bedroom suitewhole foodsking streetbusiness districton site parkingfront desk staffunderground garageoatmealan extended stayduke streetcomplimentary breakfastfew blocks
Reviewed June 12, 2014

I chose to stay at this hotel because of the Marriott brand and because it appeared to be in a good location and was a newly constructed hotel.

I was overall pleased with the cleanliness of the hotel and the attentive staff. We did have an AC issue with our first room and we were quickly relocated to a room with a better working unit.

The breakfast was typical but fresh and enjoyable.

Two concerns:
1) Although not a big deal the elevatrors were so hot inside.

2) This one was my big issue- they did not build the hotel with enough parking underneath of it. Nearly half of the spaces are for "compact cars" but everyone has to use them because there are no other options. That said- BOTH nights I stayed at this hotel by time I returned at night ALL spaces were taken (even handicapped) and I had to park outside. I told the front desk staff and they simply said "they had to park and walk too...and that they should have dug deeper for more parking". What I wanted to hear was that I would not be charged $18 for overnight parking...but I was charged for both nights.

I would say stay at this hotel....but plan to not get parking.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the elevators...
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
Cory G, General Manager at Residence Inn Alexandria Old Town South at Carlyle, responded to this reviewResponded June 13, 2014

Thank you very much for the compliments of my hotel and staff. I am glad that you enjoyed our highly acclaimed complimentary breakfast and helpful staff. I do apologize for the parking capacity issues that you encountered, and I agree that you should have heard what you wanted to hear. I am proud of my team for providing you with the cleanliness and attentiveness that you encountered, and I look forward to sharing your compliments with them.

Reviewed May 30, 2014

I stayed with the Residence Inn Old Town, at Carlyle for over a month. The staff is clean, the staff is great and very helpful. The hotel is close to Old Town Alexandria. The hotel has shuttle service and can you and will pick you up at the end of you shopping. I will be back next year.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
Cory G, General Manager at Residence Inn Alexandria Old Town South at Carlyle, responded to this reviewResponded June 3, 2014

Hello Jester2525, I am glad you enjoyed your month long stay with us. We put a lot of effort into maintaining a clean and helpful environment for our guests. I am pleased to learn that we served you well and I thank you for taking the time to let me know about your experience. It was a pleasure having you reside with us and we look forward to seeing you again when you return back here next year.

Reviewed May 19, 2014

I stayed at your hotel for three nights a few weeks ago. As I mentioned to your receptionist at the time, the shuttle service was unsatisfactory. I asked the young lady at the desk for the shuttle she then paged the drive who then told her he will be there in five minutes, I was told by the nice young lady at the desk that he will pick me up in front of the hotel. I waited fifteen minutes and no shuttle. I went back to the desk and inform the receptionist that the driver was not there. She apologized for the inconvenience. I stood at the counter and watched her page the driver again, he again told her he will be in front of the hotel. Another ten minutes went by and there were no driver. I again went to the desk and the young lady apologized again and asks another employee to check in the back and see if the driver was ok. Finally the driver pulled up and opens the door for me to get in. He said his name was Bryan. I could smell the alcohol on his breathe, he was talking very loud and did not make much sense. At this time I started to question whether or not I should allow him to take me. At this time I was thirty minutes late for my spa appointment. I allowed him to take me because I had no other choice. I am urging you managers drinking and driving is no joke. If he is in fact drinking on the job and going to continue driving, you as a company need to get him help. Because of this incident I will not return to this Marriott Property.

Past guest

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank j f
Cory G, General Manager at Residence Inn Alexandria Old Town South at Carlyle, responded to this reviewResponded May 21, 2014

Dear j f, it is with great ruefulness that I express my utmost profound apologies for the egregious conduct of the shuttle driver that you experienced. As deep as my contrition is for the encounter, I am equally as grateful for you bringing it to my attention so that I can address it in the swift and appropriate manner that it behooves. It is intrinsically understood that behavior such as this is as reprehensible as it is deplorable, and I will assure you right here and right now that the source of this culpability has been extricated from our establishment so that to prevent this enormity from ever repeating itself again. There is no excuse for this type of behavior and there is zero tolerance for it too. It is my hope that this inimitable episode is seen for the extreme aberration that it is in light of the past several decades of high standards, ethics, and values that the venerable name of Marriott has demonstrated throughout its history. Once again thank you for fortifying me with the opportunity to remedy this situation and to restore the stature that we both know is Marriott.

Reviewed May 11, 2014

This was an excellent choice for us. This property was awesome. Very convent to the metro. The breakfast was awesome. The beds were the best, very comfortable.If we are ever in the area again we will surely choose this property. The staff wad very helpful with suggesting things in the area to do. Shuttle service is provided to dome of the places. We went to the river walk and it too wad great. We really enjoyed our trip thanks to Residence Inn.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
Cory G, General Manager at Residence Inn Alexandria Old Town South at Carlyle, responded to this reviewResponded May 19, 2014

Thank you for the “Awesome” post regarding your stay at my hotel. We are very fortunately to be so closely located to popular destinations and the metro. I am glad you enjoyed our comfortable beds and highly acclaimed breakfast, and I am particularly pleased that you enjoyed my staff’s helpfulness and suggestions. I look forward to celebrating the success of your stay with my team.

Reviewed May 10, 2014

We spent 2 nights here and were extremely pleased. The staff was very friendly, room was nice and clean, breakfast was great. Very secure. Great view. Close to Old Town. Can't say anything bad about this place. I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple

Thank you very much for this “Excellent” review of my hotel. We work hard every day to reach this goal of customer satisfaction, and there is no greater reward than seeing our efforts reach fruition such as in the post you provided regarding your stay. I will be certain to pass along to my Housekeeping staff and my Breakfast crew their success in delivering you such a great experience. Thank you again!