New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Residence Inn Alexandria Old Town South at Carlyle

Residence Inn Alexandria Old Town South at Carlyle
Ranked #15 of 54 Hotels in Alexandria
Taylorsville, Utah, United States
“Beautiful hotel, great location!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2013

First off I will admit that I chose this property as I was able to get my Marriott employee rate here, but boy was I pleased with this decision! We came for my brothers wedding so I had some family with me, the staff was very accomodating with everyone's needs! Every morning at breakfast my grandma would need water and Jenny would make sure my grandma had it by either getting it for her, or checking to make sure my grandma had gotten it herself, as it wasn't in the eating area. Unfortunately I don't remember too many of the front desk agents but they were always so helpful and even got us the shuttle to take us to the metro on the day we decided not to drive into the city. Our driver there was Barry and he was so friendly and made us laugh! We had to iron a lot of wedding chair covers for my brothers wedding and when we started, one of the irons was not working properly, so they were prompt in bringing us up a new one.
The breakfast each day was really good and I have to say I miss it now that I am home!
I really have so many good things to say about this place and will definitely consider staying there in my future stays, and will recommend it when I am booking people to stay in the area.
The only one thing that happened was when we were packing up to leave, my husband checked under the bed and found an old orange juice container, it wasn't ours so I don't know how long it had been there, we were surprised as the rest if the room was so nice and clean!
Also I was worried we would have a noisy room as our bedroom window looked out in the metro tracks(my little brother slept in the living room and had a view if the Masonic temple, which he was really excited about). The noise level was very minimal and didn't bother us at all!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Jessica D
Cory G, General Manager at Residence Inn Alexandria Old Town South at Carlyle, responded to this review, September 16, 2013
Thank you very much for such a wonderful review of my hotel. I am extremely proud of my employees particularly when guests compliment so many of them in various different departments. I am glad that you got to experience the culmination of superb customer service when it is combined with a state of the art sound proof facility conveniently positioned in a great location that is walking distance to everything. It is due to so many customer lodging experiences just like yours which is the reason why our hotel is the first choice for so many travelers when they visit the Washington DC area. Once again thank you, and I look forward to seeing you again when you return for your next visit here.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
Piscataway, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2013

This place is outstanding. I have no complaints. It was perfect. So clean you could eat off the floor.
I will stay here every time I'm in the area. You cannot go wrong with this place. I can't not say enough about this place. I was there on business.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Donald T
Cory G, General Manager at Residence Inn Alexandria Old Town South at Carlyle, responded to this review, September 10, 2013
Thank you for the outstanding review you gave of my property. I too cannot get enough of this exceptional staff that consistently does a remarkable job with the cleanliness of the hotel along with friendly and helpful customer service too. It also helps that we are conveniently located in the heart of walking distance to both local shops and the metro station. Thank you for being a loyal repeat customer and making our hotel your first choice when you come to the DC area. I look forward to seeing you again upon your next visit.
Huntsville, Alabama
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2013

I have been staying at the Residence Inn at Carlyle since November, 2008 when they opened. They have done a good job at keeping the property up. The rooms are clean (really clean...and I'm a clean freak) and very roomy. Even the studio rooms are good sized. I saw an earlier review about the rooms being small and I can't say I've experienced that before. Granted, I haven't stayed in every room at this hotel, but overall the rooms are good-sized and clean. They are a pet-friendly hotel and there is a dog park just up the road about a half-block away. Whole foods is 5 minutes away by car or about a 10 minute walk. Metro is nearby too. They have a full-gym, not one of those faux-gyms that some hotels have. And the staff here is the nicest ever. They have had minimal turn-over in the 5 years I've been staying here. Recently this hotel went from a corporate Marriott location over to a franchise, so some of those staff members that were trying to keep seniority at Marriott did leave, but the replacement team is just as nice as the original group. You won't regret staying here...it's in a good location and is fairly priced. You can walk to King street in about 10 minutes or less (King street is the main thoroughfare for Old Town Alexandria and has cute shops and restaurants there).

Room Tip: The fitness room is on the second floor. Sometimes you can hear people dropping the weights if you...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank anonymous196307
Cory G, General Manager at Residence Inn Alexandria Old Town South at Carlyle, responded to this review, September 6, 2013
Thank you very much for being such a long term 5 year loyal repeat customer. It is always gratifying to see the expansion of our customer base becoming long term loyalists such as yourself. I am extremely proud of my staff for maintaining the consistency of cleanliness and friendly service throughout the years. The combination of our cleanliness, state of the art facility, and close walking distance to local shops (and the metro) has made our hotel the preferred choice for those seeking a home away from home. Once again thank you for being a part of our family and I look forward to seeing you again upon your next visit.
Kansas City, Missouri
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2013

Although I am late writing this review, I felt is necessary to say this is one of the best Residence Inn's we have ever stayed at! We were in town celebrating our 25th year anniversary. The staff made us feel so welcome and one day after touring the DC area wearing matching shirts that told we were celebrating our anniversary, Meaghan and Ann surprised us and brought a basket of goodies for us to celebrate! We were so touched by this gesture. The hotel was beautiful and the van shuttle guys were very informative. We had an exclellant stay and the room, breakfast and all the amenities were great! Thanks for making our anniversary extra special!

Room Tip: Any room is great
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Nae22
Cory G, General Manager at Residence Inn Alexandria Old Town South at Carlyle, responded to this review, August 31, 2013
Thank you very much for writing such a high compliment of expressing our hotel as one of the best Residence Inn's you have ever stayed at! We are always striving to separate ourselves from the competition with our personalized customer service, elaborate breakfast, and abundance of amenities. I am proud of our staff for successfully achieving that goal. I look forward to sharing your compliments with the rest of the team. Happy anniversary and we look forward to seeing you for the 26th celebration!
Charlottesville, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2013

The Residence Inn was terrific. The people at the front desk were friendly, they allowed me to have a late checkout, and provided me with great directions to a local store. Thanks to Orbitz, I got a really good deal on the rate!
The room was wonderful; it was large and clean, and the king-size bed was very comfortable. I enjoyed their continental breakfast; the food selection was extensive and better than most!
Overall, it was a great choice.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for sharing with us the wonderful experience that you had at our hotel. Our breakfast staff is uniquely talented and they take pride in their breadth of recipes that provided that delicious and superior variety of full American Breakfast items that you experienced each morning. I share that pride and extend it to Housekeeping's clean rooms with comfortable beds, the front desk's friendly service, and the entire team's cooperative efforts of customer service that translated to your wonderful stay and overall great choice! Once again thank you for the post, and thank you for choosing the Residence Inn Carlyle.
Rockledge, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2013

What a delightful surprise! The Residence Inn is a well-appointed, beautifully decorated and conveniently located. The rates are excellent, and the quality of the rooms impressed. We had two one-bedroom units, and we asked that they be close together, as my husband and I would be in one, and our 17 and 22 year olds would share the other. They placed us at the end of the hallway, rooms directly across from one another, both corner rooms. It was simply perfect. The staff was friendly and helpful, quick to offer assistance for anything from local travel and transportation to where the best pizza could be ordered- and delivered! I will make this my first choice when visiting the DC area- friendly, safe neighborhood, two blocks to the Metro station, and a 5 minute walk to Old Town Alexandria and the shopping and dining there.

Room Tip: We had rooms on both sides of the hotel, and they were both quiet, comfortable and had stunning up-c...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank JuliaMacc
Thank you so much for that fabulous review describing your "terrific" stay with us! It is always great to learn how so many of our guest's are enjoying the value they are receiving with our beautifully appointed rooms and close location to so many destination spots. We pride ourselves on delivering the best customer service and I look forward to sharing your compliments with my team. Thank you for making us your first choice when visiting the DC area and I look forward to accommodating you again at that time.
Arizona
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2013

- Excellent position to the metro for visiting all sights in D.C.
-Affordable
-Clean
-Huge selection for breakfast & cocktail hour included
-Huge rooms ( we had 2bdrm/2ba) perfect for going with kids or friends
-Helpful & friendly service
-Free shuttle
-Comfy beds
-Quiet rooms
While not luxurious I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again or recommend to anyone looking for good location, price, and service.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Cory G, General Manager at Residence Inn Alexandria Old Town South at Carlyle, responded to this review, August 22, 2013
Thank you very much for listing out our wide spread offerings of excellent products and services that we provide for all of our guests. It is easy so see from just a glance how much value we offer for the price. I am always proud of my staff when I read how well they provide customer service, and I will be sure to share your comments with them. Once again thank you.