“Trip with my Teenage Daughters”

Residence Inn Alexandria Old Town South at Carlyle
Ranked #15 of 54 Hotels in Alexandria
Kingsport, Tennessee
“Trip with my Teenage Daughters”
Reviewed July 16, 2013

I stayed at this hotel with my two teenage daughters for a long weekend vacation to the DC area. I was a little worried about coming to the area without my husband as he was sick and unable to travel. It was a nice experience and I felt completely safe. The hotel staff is very friendly and helpful. Rooms very clean and daily cleaning service was excellent. They went the extra mile tiding up from us. The hotel had a shuttle from and to the Metro and to Old Town for dining when you get back to the hotel in the evening. The shuttle drivers were very friendly and helpful with any questions. Easy communute into DC and back. The room was reasonably priced. I was able to negotiate the parking fee to $5 which I was okay with - not the $15 they were asking. My car was behind a locked metal gate the entire trip and only hotel guests and employees had access. Free breakfast was not bad at all. French toast one morning. Take into consideration healthly diet and other options as well. I would definately stay here again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Cory G, General Manager at Residence Inn Alexandria Old Town South at Carlyle, responded to this review, July 27, 2013
Thank you for writing such a terrific review about my hotel. I am very happy that your experience was such a good one and that all aspects of your stay went so well. I am very eager to share with my staff how their friendly and helpful customer service resulted in delivering you an excellent experience and your willingness to return. Once again thank you and I look forward to seeing you again the next time you return.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
New York
Reviewed July 12, 2013

I stayed ay the Residence Inn and was very pleasantly surprised by how clean and well kept the hotel was. Room was a nice size with a kitchenette (which I didn't use). Had a room on the other side of the Metro tracks and it was nice and quiet. Paid $99 + any taxes when I prepaid the room. The breakfast was better then you normal buffet and the eating area was spotless. I can't tell you how convenient it is other than it is near the Metro.

Room Tip: Take a room on the other side of the Metro.
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed July 10, 2013

We stayed at this hotel over July 4th weekend, so admittedly it may have been busier or shorter-staffed than a typical day. I really loved the building, the room size and style, and the view from the windows outside. It was very convenient to the Eisenhower avenue Metro station, but a bit longer walk to King Street and Old Town Alexandria. I wanted to love this property overall, but beyond the room and closeness to the Metro, it's just ok.

This hotel is at the far end of "Uptown" and is really not near anything else on the weekend; you feel sort of isolated being here after business leaves town. While once you're inside the doors it's nice and safe and clean, the intersection outside the hotel is very busy at peak times and it can feel awkward to walk from there. While some reviewers pointed out that they found great places to park, there really is not good overnight parking other than paying the $18 overnight fee to self park yourself in a garage that was open the whole weekend. I think this fee is pretty high considering that there's no valet and there's really nothing that anybody else would come over here for after hours.

My first perceptions of the hotel before getting to the room were not great. There are four spaces in the back marked as Check In spaces, yet they were completely full of cars at that time...and these same cars were still parked there late that night when we came back to the hotel. Surely the hotel could enforce this policy if they intend to charge everyone else?

During check in, my desk agent was fairly friendly and efficient, yet she and another associate were arguing with the Shuttle driver about picking up and leaving people in Old Town, which was very unprofessional and made me not want to take the shuttle. If the driver is bad, then replace him or have these conversations out of view of guests.

The room was clean, spacious, modern, and comfortable. I do think, however, some of the leather furniture was a bit worn for a hotel this new-looking. And the ice machine in the refrigerator didn't work. When I asked at the desk they made it sound like "it's slow", but it never worked the whole weekend...and it was over 90 degrees every day.

If I were returning to Alexandria, I would consider this hotel because it really is above average in many ways; however, I would consider somewhere with a better parking situation or more walkable location.

Room Tip: The elevators move quickly, so choose an upper floor for the view.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reading, Pennsylvania
Reviewed July 9, 2013

I used points so I can't comment on value for price.

Went here with my son to take in the sights of DC. I am picky so I really reviewed hotels. I was a little hesitant given that most DC business areas are empty at night but I felt safe walking from car to lobby, etc. Positive reviews matched my experience. Very clean and super staff. Superb breakfast included. More hot foods than cold which is rare.

Our room overlooked the Masonic Monument in Alexandria which impressed my 7 year old. I had a huge master room and it was nice to have the living room with sofa to watch tv. Full-size fridge was a plus for bottled water and leftovers. The kitchen is stocked with real dishes and everything you need to cook which I am sure those staying for a while would enjoy. We really didn't need it.

Negative: Fold out sofa bed had a lot of crumbs in it which grossed me out since my son was sleeping there. Sheets were fresh for us but still...

Postive: huge rooms, could save money by cooking in if necessary but biggest plus was comp. 2 min. shuttle to metro. Took metro in to see the sites....couldn't have been easier.

Huge shout out to Barry our shuttle driver. Very friendly, genuine, chatted with my son without making him shy, recommended great restaurants. Gave us his personal card and we called upon our return and he picked us right up at metro station.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the Masonic monument if possible
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Knoxville Tennessee
Reviewed July 9, 2013

We stayed here for the 4th of July week in order to go to Washington, DC for the museums and fireworks. Very clean hotel, and very courteous desk staff. Free shuttle around town, which we used back and forth to the Metro (subway) station to ride to DC, however, the shuttle stops working at 9PM so plan accordingly. It is within walking distance to the Metro station. Parking is $18.00 per day(ouch!) but the breakfast is free as is the internet (fast). Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Yukon, Oklahoma
Reviewed July 7, 2013

Stayed 5 nights for family vacation on Marriott points. Had a pretty decent room on 2nd floor with a good view. Overall good stay. Room was very clean and spacious (had a 1-bedroom suite) and was in a good location with very minimal noise (only rooms next to us was the one above us, room was by the stairs and work out room, which was handy). Bed was comfortable and big. Continental breakfast was okay, not bad but not exceptional either. Housekeeping was okay but a little spotty. Front desk was okay, not real friendly, but not rude either. Only real complaints is that the eating area is rather small for the size of the hotel (hotel is 10+ stories, but the eating area was a standard size eating area you would see in the 3-4 story Residence Inn that are common, which made for a cramped eating experience each morning) and the 18 dollar a day parking fee, which is in a small parking garage underneath the hotel (there is a parking garage within walking distance that charges quite a bit less a day and you can also park on the streets by meter). And just FYI, the hotel does not have a swimming pool. The hotel is within walking distance to the Eisenhower Metro rail system station and an AMC movie theater, as well as some local restaurants and a large parking garage. Hotel is also pretty close to I-95/395. Overall, a pretty good place and would consider staying again

Room Tip: The hotel is right next to the Metro rail track going to Washington DC. In room we stayed at, the tr...
VT
Reviewed July 7, 2013

This was a half way stop over on our way to SC. Luckily we had gift cards as we would not normally have stayed here due to price. The room was great, on the outside corner with a great view of Alexandria. Two bedrooms and two baths meant my wife and it and the two boys could have a bit of privacy. It was large, very clean, quiet and decent location. Though only there one night, it was in walking distance to shopping and restaurants. The on site parking would be the only draw back at $18 a night, with off site at $12. The complementary breakfast was typical with nothing special, but well prepared and available for the family.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family