All reviewsold townfull kitchenfree shuttleeisenhower metrometro tracksone bedroom suitewhole foodsking streetbusiness districton site parkingfront desk staffunderground garageoatmealan extended stayduke streetcomplimentary breakfastfew blocks
Reviewed June 26, 2012

I cannot recommend this hotel enough! I will be here for 60 days and have only been here for 4 nights thus far, but I can tell you I fell in love with it immediately. I felt truly welcomed upon my arrival. None of the staff has treated me like a number - they've been warm, courteous, very helpful and so accommodating. Especially Mike, one of the managers, and Meagan, the Asst GM. Because of the staff's great demeanor and the feel of the place, it avoids the corporate, sterile ambience of many hotel chains..

The room I have is ultra updated, warm, inviting, clean and beautifully decorated. Plus, it has great views, one of them being of the Masonic temple. Further, it's really nice to have a full size fridge/freezer. The furniture is stylish and not dorm-esque, like many hotels I've been to.

As far as proximity, it's mere blocks from 2 metro stops: King Street and Eisenhower (and they are barely audible due to the construct of the hotel). Whole Foods is just a short, comfortable walk away. The Beltway is just a few blocks away, as is Duke St. Because it's next right next to Old Town, but not in it, there isn't much traffic in the evenings, so it's relaxing.

And you needn't be overly concerned about safety, as it's a safe area with friendly police who patrol on foot at night. The neighborhood is filled with pleasant architecture and relatively new buildings, unlike many office building/hotel areas.

Another outstanding feature is the on-demand shuttle (gratis) that will drop you off and/or pick you up within a 2-mile radius.

I opted for hotel parking, of which they have 3 underground, very well-lit, clean, secure levels. I've always been able to park in a roomy spot. Even the building itself is secure; you need a key card to use the elevators, to enter the parking area, and to enter the hotel at night.

They have breakfasts (gratis) seven days a week, as well as light dinners (gratis) during the weekdays. Coin operated laundry facilities are on site, with of course dry cleaning available.

Something that sets them apart is their grocery service (gratis). If you need just a few items, they will purchase them for you and add just the cost of the items to your final bill.

It's a great hotel in every way!

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a high floor so you can get the best views.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
7  Thank kiki2075
ResidenceInnCarlyle, General Manager at Residence Inn Alexandria Old Town South at Carlyle, responded to this reviewResponded July 23, 2012

Hi kiki2075,
Wow! What a great review! Thank you very much!!! I have shared your kind words with Mike, Meaghan and the team. You have so many kind things to say about the Residence Inn Alexandria Old Town South at Carlyle!
I sincerely appreciate your taking the time to write such a wonderful review.

Reviewed June 24, 2012

Old Town Alexandria is a beautifully kept neighborhood. It was a pleasure to stay in this quiet area while visiting the mayhem of DC. Our family of five stayed in a two bedroom suite. It was very large, modern and clean. The front desk was very accommodating. We were pleased with the mini store at the hotel which included a bar for taking drinks back to the room. We were able to walk to the subway each day for about a 20 minute ride into DC.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank M M

Greetings M M,
Thank you for your very nice review of the Residence Inn Alexandria Old Town South at Carlyle!
Your comments about our location, room quality, front desk staff service and our always open "Market" are very much appreciated.
Thanks again, and I hope to see you soon!

Reviewed June 22, 2012

This Residence Inn at Carlyle is my favorite Residence Inn. My family has stayed at many. The staff is friendly, warm and welcoming. We think of them as family because that's how they make you feel. The accomodations are pleasent to the eyes, well kept and clean. There are many perks to staying here. The complimentary wifi, two up to date computers with printer in room of the lobby, A wii and board games for kids or adults to play with in a game room of the lobby, Comfy couchs and seats to relax or sit and socialize in Lobby by a beautiful fireplace, Plenty of seating in the dinning room, coffee and tea ALL day, A small but nice gym, Laundry Room, Shuttle to take you to many sights and places in the surrounding area such as Old Town Virginia, movie theater. metro stations (metro stations are also within walking distance) and great restraunts close by. We very much enjoy the well balanced variety of the full complimentary breakfast all week, and the social with food and beverage in the evening on weekdays. It is a great place to stay.

• Stayed: June 2012
1  Thank Schel67
Reviewed June 18, 2012

I recently traveled with my rather frail, elderly parents to DC to sightsee. I called the night before to confirm an accessible room. No problem. We had two 1 bedroom suites. They were roomy and well laid out for privacy, with the bathroom separate from bedroom and sink area separate from toilet/shower room. The desk staff was extremely friendly, helpful at every turn and responsive to our needs. My parents were thrilled with the visit and really appreciated the friendly service staff. I'm Platinum and asked for upgrade to 2 bedroom suite on the weekend (not available during week). It was awesome and we couldn't have been happier with our stay. I would especially like to recognize Pam, who seems to work 24 hours a day. I don't remember other names of desk staff, but kudos to all. Breakfast every day and social hour in evenings on Mon-Thurs was better than usual Residence Inn fare.
Warning, there is construction in the area. My GPS was confused a bit. I would recommend taking hotel shuttle to King Street. The driver knew short cuts to bypass the terrible traffic. That service ends at about 9 pm on weekends. We ended up walking back a little late after dinner one night (not the parents) and it was a nice walk. I know there is a metro station within walking distance but we had a car. Parking is rather expensive and the garage was full at times. We had handicap sticker so it didn't matter, but might be an issue.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank maryannKc
ResidenceInnCarlyle, General Manager at Residence Inn Alexandria Old Town South at Carlyle, responded to this reviewResponded June 20, 2012

Hi MaryannKC!
Thank you for taking the time to share your review of the Residence Inn Alexandria Old Town South at Carlyle. I'm very happy we earned a five star review! I'm also happy to read the positive comments about our staff service and friendliness (I will be sure to let Pam know of your review), our complimentary breakfast/evening social, and the room quality.
Thank you again, and I hope to see you soon when your travels bring you to the Alexandria/DC area!

Reviewed June 12, 2012 via mobile

We had a 2 bedroom suite, family of five, with 3 small children. We usually try to stay at Residence Inns for that reason. This one in particular was especially clean, well kept, and prepared. The shape of the hotel allows for the 2 BR suites to be more spacious than usual. The front desk staff is so very helpful in answering questions in regards to sightseeing the capital, Metro, etc. we chose this location outside of the city for quiet and safety, and the Metro station is only a few blocks away; which the hotel shuttle will gladly take you!

• Stayed: June 2012
3  Thank Mom1Kiddos3
ResidenceInnCarlyle, General Manager at Residence Inn Alexandria Old Town South at Carlyle, responded to this reviewResponded June 13, 2012

Hi Mom1Kiddoa!
Thank you for the 5 star review of the Residence Inn Alexandria Old Town at Carlyle! I certainly appreciate you taking the time to share your positive experience. Safe travels, and I hope to see you again when visiting the DC/Alexandria area.