First things first: This propery passes the "clean and everything works as it should" test. Not with flying colors but few properties pass these days so that's a plus.
Here are the things to be concerned about:
1. Parking. If you're driving, it's an extra $18 per day. There are other places close to a Metro with free parking. This place isn't so spectacular or so convenient to most things that it would warrant that.
2. Shuttle. The hotel shuttle only goes to the Metro station which sounds good but not if you have a late arriving flight where you get to walk at night.
3. Location. Not near any stores or restaurants open late. If you're walking from the Metro it's doable but not really close and the walking directions I got when calling the hotel were by no means helpful. Basically you walk up the street and hang a left onto Mill and the hotel is on your left. There are steep stairs (who designed those in this day and age?) but there is also a ramp.
4. Gouging. The pantry prices are a bit steep -- like $4 for an ice cream cone drumstick! The available dinners were not well stocked.
I rated this lower because of the lack of attention to guest needs (limited shuttle schedule forcing guests to walk at night to/from Metro, no shuttle to the airport) and gouging ($18 parking fee, pantry pricing). If this isn't an issue for you, by all means stay here. And for anyone else, this isn't a bad place -- it just has those issues. If you're a light sleeper, beware of the train noise.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located in the growing Carlyle neighborhood just outside of historic Old Town Alexandria, Residence Inn Alexandria Old Town South at Carlyle provides the perfect accommodations for corporate and leisure travelers visiting the Washington, D.C. Area. This 15 floor hotel features 181 studio, one- and two- bedroom suites including complimentary Internet access and fully-equipped kitchens. Additional on-property amenities include 1,025 sq. Ft. Of meeting space, state-of-the-art fitness center, 24-hour market, complimentary WiFi in rooms and public areas, and business center with print, copy, scan, and fax services. Along with well-appointed accommodations, guests enjoy complimentary daily hot breakfast and evening social hours (Monday-Wednesday, 6:00pm to 7:30pm). Ideal for extended stays, guest laundry facilities and pet-friendly rooms are available. This Alexandria, VA hotel is conveniently located near two Metro stations, offering easy access to key area businesses and leading downtown Washington, DC destinations. The hotel provides complimentary shuttle service to the Metro and Old Town Alexandria. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Booking.com, Priceline, Travelocity, Orbitz, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, HotelQuickly and getaroom.com so you can book your Residence Inn Alexandria Old Town South at Carlyle reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Residence Inn Alexandria Old Town South At Carlyle Hotel Alexandria