“Decent hotel, but we won't be back”

Residence Inn Alexandria Old Town South at Carlyle
Ranked #16 of 54 Hotels in Alexandria
Istanbul, Turkey
“Decent hotel, but we won't be back”
Reviewed August 25, 2011

The hotel was comparable to most Residence Inns. We have stayed for extended stays at the other Residence Inn in Old Town. If we had to compare the two properties, the Old Town Residence Inn would definitely win. This hotel is pretty sterile, the housekeeping and restaurant staff were friendly and welcoming, but the front desk and management were less stellar. The area isn't close to shops, but it is close to the metro and there is a shuttle.

We are traveling with a young child and we were disappointed to learn that they wouldn't give a late checkout (1pm instead of 12pm), which was never a problem at any of the 20 plus Marriott hotels we've frequented over the years.

In a nutshell, I would recommend staying at the Residence Inn Old Town instead of the Carlyle.

Room Tip: Get a view of the Masonic Temple
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank bosphbelle

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
New York City, New York
Reviewed August 1, 2011

The hotel is closer to both the subway and to King Street than it appears on the map. I spent two nights there, July 7-8; it is an easy walk from, and equidistant to, either the King St. subway stop or the Eisenhower stop. I chose this Residence Inn over the one at King St. because it is newer, got all 5-star reviews and offers a full hot breakfast each morning which included a make your own fresh waffle station. What I did not know is that M-Th they also offer a free evening social that includes wine, soft drinks and food. The room was new, spacious and immaculate. The fitness center was also spacious and offers a nice variety of equipment. Lastly, it is only a 10-minute subway ride from Union Station, but is half the price of a similar category DC hotel.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
3 Thank Wien9060
Baton Rouge, LA
Reviewed June 30, 2011

This Residence Inn provides all the normal benefits of the brand, but simply does them better than any other Residence Inn I've stayed in before. The staff invariably is friendly and helpful. The Monday-Thursday evening dinner is usually a pretty low standard at Residence Inns, but this one is actually quite good. The chef can be seen in the dining room and clearly takes pride in his work, much like the rest of the staff. We stayed during the summer high season, but it still seemed that volume of customers here was manageable enough to provide a non-hectic environment with great service.

The hotel is about five years old as is the entire neighborhood. The free shuttle will take you to the grocery stores (Whole Foods or Giant), anywhere on King Street in Old Town, or to one of two metro stations. Very convenient, especially for the extended stay. If you don't want to hop the shuttle, the metro is about a 5 min walk. In easy walking distance is Starbucks and a few restaurants, but the neighborhood is quite quiet.

On the downside, if you're coming to Alexandria to visit DC or even Old Town as a tourist, you won't be in the thick of things. Parking's high for the area ($14/night) while the Courtyard Marriott a few block away has free parking. No restaurant or bar as is the case with all Residence Inns as far as I'm aware.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
3 Thank BRTraveler-7
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed June 1, 2011

The place was packed in the morning, but the breakfast staff kept up on bringing out more food all morning long. They have a free shuttle into Old Town and it's about 4 blocks from a metro station.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on opposite side from metro.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank RedSky3
Washington, D.C.
Reviewed May 29, 2011

Located near Old Town in Carlyle, the hotel was a nice get away 45 minutes from home. We stayed here last night, because we had an expiring Marriott night certificate. We had a one bedroom king suite with a sofa bed, room 607. It had a view of the Masonic temple, which was cool. It was typical Residence Inn, the new one with stainless steal kitchen and the red design. The bathroom was between the living and sleeping areas, which was nice for us. The sofa bed wasn't that comfortable, but it was fine, and the regular bed was nice. The staff was good, and they have an on-demand shuttle to Old Town. Breakfast was very crowded, but had good offerings. A typical new Residence Inn, very nice.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with the Masonic Temple view.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank IAD_ORD
Albany, NY
Reviewed May 29, 2011

I attended a conference in Alexandria, and boy did I luck out when the conference hotel was full. I chose this hotel a couple of blocks from the conference hotel, and I was able to get a one bedroom suite with a full kitchen, evening snacks, and continental breakfast for less than the standard room at the conference hotel.

I was worried about noise when I checked in and noticed that my room faced railroad and subway tracks, but I did not hear a thing. This was the quietest hotel room I ever remember staying in. I was at the end of a hallway, which may have helped. I did not hear any noise from outside, other rooms, or the hallway. There was very little equipment or appliance noise either. It was heavenly to be able to escape to the room and relax and read.

The staff was pleasant and accomodating. The one odd thing was that there was no plain black tea in the rooms or at breakfast, and they didn't sell any in the snack shop. There was green tea, herbal tea, and flavored tea, but no regular old black tea. The man cleaning the kitchen area one evening very nicely looked through their recent shipment of tea for me, but, alas, didn't find any.

There are two internet-connected computers in the lobby that are free to use. I like this touch for people who don't have a laptop or can't get connectivity. I hate paying $10 when you just want to take 5 minutes to check your schedule or email. There wasn't any problem with people staying on the computers for a long time while I was there.

The one-bedroom was large and would be plenty of room for two people. It is a true one-bedroom with a full wall and door between the bedroom and living room. (I hate when hotels call something a one-bedroom suite when it is really just a room with a couch and a kitchen attached.) However, it might be crowded for four people - when the bed is pulled out of the couch, it would likely go almost to the wall and be difficult to walk around.

The area around the hotel seemed perfectly safe, but it doesn't have much in the way of stores, restaurants or amenitites. We had no problems walking to Old Town Alexandria, but it's definitely several blocks away, and I was with people who walk a lot. The hotel provides a free shuttle to both Old Town and the subway/Amtrak station, but I didn't use it. The hotel is several blocks away from the subway. I had a suitcase with wheels, and it wasn't a problem, but, again, if the weather is bad or you have a lot of stuff, you will want to call the shuttle or take a cab.

One note not connected to the hotel: there is an Amtrak stop right in Alexandria within walking distance of the hotel. Most trains from NYC stop there. Many people at the conference with me had no idea about the station and got off at Union Station in DC, but it's much easier to get off in Alexandria.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor to minimize train noise.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Librarian1998
New York
Reviewed May 18, 2011

My husband and I stayed here for three nights to attend our daughters GWU graduation. We were quite pleased with this hotel. It is not in Old Town Alexandria but it is close enough for a long walk or a short drive to Old Town. The Eisenhower Metro station is very close to the hotel. We ended up driving to graduation because a friend had a paid city parking garage spot we could use, otherwise we would definately have used the Metro as DC parking is a nightmare. Our one bedroom suite was very large with a completely seperate sitting room/kitchen. The room was spotlessly clean and the bed was very comfortable. The room was exceptionally quiet which surprised me because there were a lot of children in the hotel. The buffet breakfast is fine but too busy and noisy for me, so I asked the attendant for a tray and take out containers which he cheerfully provided. I took my husband's waffle and sausage and my yogurt and cereal up to our room to eat comfortably at the dining table in the room. Our room had a view of the Masonic Temple which was lit at night and quite beautiful. The security was very good at this hotel; be aware you need to check in before parking your car as you need your room keey to get into the locked and gated garage. Also, get a room key for everyone in your group because you need the room key to use the elevators inside the hotel, you must enter your key for the elevator buttons to function. My only complaints were very small such as no light in the clothes closet and the vanity mirror too far away from the edge of the counter for make-up application. The cost was "ok" we paid $142 for the room and $18 for parking. You could definately stay here without a car since th Metro is so close. A note about the parking garage; we arrived back at the hotel rather late each night after graduation festivities and each time there was a sign saying "garage is full". We entered the garage anyway each time and were able to find a spot. You may want to ask the front desk staff in advance what to do if the garage really is full.

Room Tip: Masonic Temple view
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple