“Good cake, fantastic icing”

Lavender Moon Cupcakery
Ranked #1 of 28 Bakeries in Alexandria
Neighborhood: Old Town
Description: Organic artisan flavors baked fresh daily, featuring local fruit, Polyface eggs, with hand milled flour. Always new, fun, exciting creations baked everyday.
Reviewed September 30, 2012

Me and my family love cupcakes -- who doesn't? And with most cupcakes from bakeries costing $3 each, you want to ensure it's a good cupcake (not to mention fat/calories).

We've tasted cupcakes from quite a few shops around NOVA and DC in the last couple of months, including Sprinkles, Alexandria Cupcake, Buzz Bakery, and a few others. By far, Lavender Moon is now hands down our favorite.

Flavors we've tried from LM include chocolate raspberry, flourless chocolate, peanut butter chocolate, lemon curd, lemon blackberry, Belgian chocolate, smores, strawberry, and I can't remember the others. As you can see, we've tried a lot!

By far, the best part of LM's cupcakes are the icing. They are light and whippy vs. stiff and thick like many icings. My husband and I often take the icing off cakes/cupcakes because it just has that overwhelming shortening/thick taste. Not so with LM. The icing is very flavorful and creamy.

The cake is very good, but a little drier than some I've tasted.

The prices are on par with what others charge ($3 a cupcake) and they use organic/natural ingredients. Perhaps that's why their cupcakes have a superior flavor.

You will not be disappointed with Lavender Moon. Just writing this makes me want to stop by for more treats.

Reviewed September 27, 2012

My rank of cupcakes I have tried in DC on my last 3 day visit.

1. Lavender Moon
2. Baked & Wired
3. Georgetown
4. Alexandria Cupcakes

BAM BAM BAM!!! This place has the cupcake thing right!

So on my NYC/DC trip I tried around 8 different cupcakes and Lavender Moon is right on the money. By far the best cupcake I had and you better not even try to argue that with me ;)

I ordered the blood orange dreamsicle and a salted chocolate (or something like that). I was taking them home for my husband by my friend and I decided to just try the icing on the dreamsicle. Before we knew it the entire cupcake was gone. OOPS.
WOW, what is AMAZING. I cannot even begin to describe how good but it exceeds every other cupcake I have ever eaten.

Far exceeds any other place and the customer service was wonderful. She explained all the flavors and this is what makes this place stand out above all the others who lack on the CS front. Great job!!

Reviewed September 25, 2012

I was walking through Old Town and came across this cupcakery. I'm not a big cupcake person because I feel most are dry and not worth the hype, but I was in the mood for one. I'm glad I gave Lavender Moon a chance because their flavors are creative and unique. I asked the girls working which ones were the most popular and they pointed out 3 different cupcakes (flourless chocolate, sweet potato, and one other that I forget). I went for the sweet potato pecan crumble because it was different from any other cupcake flavors I've heard of. I got the last one that day and boy was it good! Moist, reminiscent to pumpkin pie, but in cupcake form, and while I could have done without frosting, it was still pretty good. The one thing that keeps me from giving them a 5 is the price - $3 for a cupcake still feels like too much for me.

Reviewed September 20, 2012

awesome selection. Very moist & good! Not your average run of the mill selection of cupcakes-- had Blood Orange Creamsicle and Hummingbird cupcakes. would definetely go back.

Reviewed September 15, 2012

I went into Lavender Moon to pick up a gift card they generously donated to a fundraiser I am helping with. While there, I bought two cupcakes...Roasted Peach and Raspberry and the Flourless Chocolate one. They were the perfect size and had unbelievable moisture and flavor. I am not a huge chocolate fan, but holy cow was the Flourless Chocolate Cupcake delicious! The frosting on the Peach Raspberry was so creamy and not too rich. Will definitely return again for more cupcakes!