Booked a 4 night stay at this hotel for a quick vacation getaway during my son's spring break. We'd been to DC before, and wanted to go back to see some of the things we missed the last time here. Had a hard time finding something reasonably priced in this area that fit our needs (separate living room with sofabed, decent neighborhood, access to Metro system). After researching quite a bit, I decided to book this Homewood suites. We've stayed at Homewood before and are very familiar with their offerings. Checkin was a breeze and Jason at the front desk was very courteous and helpful. Our room was situated on a high floor away from elevators, vending machines and stairs as requested. Other than a couple of noisy boys in the hall on the first night (lasted 15 minutes) and a crying baby next door on the second night (lasted about 20 minutes), the room was quiet, comfortable, clean, and housekeeping was excellent. We took the little bit of noise in stride, since this was a spring break week and it was contained quickly.
Since we checked in late on a Wednesday night and didn't want to go out for dinner, I went down and spoke to Jason again for a recommendation. The day manager was still there (sorry I forgot your name, sir) so I got the lowdown: Turned out the evening staff preferred Mom's Pizzeria while the day staff preferred Hot Stone Pizza. Jason gave me menus for both which I took up to our room so we could decide. Mom's Pizzeria had more variety available, and was split between Greek and Italian dishes, so we ordered from there. This is a great place to order for delivery in this area!
Back to the Homewood Suites - Breakfast is the usual hot (eggs, meat, potatoes, waffles), and cold (cereal, fruits, etc.) selections, along with toast, bagels, and juices/tea/coffee. The food was very good, and was always hot when we were there. We never took advantage of the evening food since we were not back at the hotel during the hours they were served.
Access to the Metro is by the shuttle to the King St. station, and the last shuttle run is at 8:30 PM. We knew that Thursday night we would be in DC later than 8:30, so we took our car and figured we would park in the metro lot (which we've done when we stayed at other locations around DC). Unfortunately, the lot at King St. is very small and doesn't allow commuter parking until after 7PM, so I parked at the Embassy Suites garage across the street, which allowed a flat $9 fee to park from 5-9PM. The rest of the time we were there, we actually went to the Pentagon South mall, which is a stop on the Blue/Yellow lines (same as King St.). Per the day manager at Homewood, the parking fees there are cheaper. We found this to be about $1/hr. Friday and Saturday, as we paid $6 on Friday for 6 hours and $8 on Saturday for 8 hours. Plus, we enjoyed wandering through the mall before going back to the hotel. If you're not interested in the mall and are OK with being back before 8:30 PM then the shuttle is the way to go.
One thing this Homewood Suites had that we hadn't seen before is a pool table in the common area. One lazy afternoon my son and I went downstairs to play for an hour and we enjoyed it very much. You just go to the front desk and ask for the equipment, sign them out, and return them when done…for no charge (as long as you return everything undamaged)! This was a nice surprise.
Overall, I highly recommend this Homewood Suites for location, proximity to DC and the Metro, the condition of the hotel, and the excellent staff.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Homewood Suites Alexandria is located just 6 miles away from the National Mall in Washington DC and 4 miles from Old Town Alexandria. Our spacious apartment style suites feature a private bedroom and a full equipped kitchen. Enjoy our complimentary Hot Breakfast Buffet served every day and our delicious Evening Reception Monday-Thursdays. Ride in our free shuttle to the King Street Metro Station and to The Village at Shirlington; please call the hotel directly for details. Feel like home at the Homewood Suites Alexandria while you are in town for business or leisure. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hilton Hotels Direct, Priceline, Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Orbitz, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets, HotelQuickly, Cancelon and getaroom.com so you can book your Homewood Suites Alexandria reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Homewood Suites Alexandria Hotel Alexandria
- Homewood Alexandria
- Alexandria Homewood Suites