“Best Fried Oysters on East Coast”
Review of Hank's Oyster Bar

Hank's Oyster Bar
Reserve with OpenTable
Hank's Oyster Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #11 of 768 Restaurants in Alexandria
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Old Town
Reviewed February 2, 2011

My wife and I enjoyed this small narrow restaurant on King Street in historic Alexandria. On a Friday evening, it took us about 20 minutes to be seated. We first had their selection of 12 oysters on the half shell from various places in North America. These were fun and interesting. Then we moved on to the main course: my wife had lobster bisque which was very good but not what you would normally expect. It was tomato based and unique... try it! I had the fried oyster plate. Absolutely the most perfectly breaded and fried oysters I have ever put between my lips. No other restaurant that I've eaten at has perfected the combination of oyster size, minimal but sufficient breading and proper cooking time to such a delicious level. The crafted beer was complimentary too. Our bill with 4 beers and 20% tip: $58.00 not bad!

Reviewed November 15, 2010

I agree with another reviewer. The food is good, but our waiter was so snooty. Had oysters , lobster roll, mac and cheese and very good mussels.
I can't understand why they can't find friendlier servers.
It would really make this a delightful place.

Reviewed October 9, 2010

I've been to this restaurant a few times and really love it. The food is always delicious and the service is always attentive. I noticed that other reviewers were complaining about the prices, but the quality of the food is worthy of the prices. Try to get there during their happy hours for the $1 oysters and it's a lot more reasonable.

Reviewed January 4, 2010

While the variety of oysters we had were fresh and good (like other restaurants in town), their cost ($2 each-some very small) and the cost of the tiny entrees were really too much. I got a tasty but tiny veal scallopini with a little bit of sauteed greens for well over $20, and my wife got four tasty scallops with about five green beans for around the same price. There was no bread, only Goldfish crackers (!), and no rice, potatoes, or starch of any kind accompanying the entrees.
Our server was inept, and clueless about what was in the dishes, and didn't time the meal well at all. (We worked in restaurants for years and usually are forgiving, except at this price!)
In the end, without wine and tip, the meal cost us about $85. Just a bad deal. It was the most expensive, least enjoyable restaurant we visited in seven nights in Alexandria.

Reviewed August 27, 2009

My husband, daughters and I wandered into Hank's for some drinks and appetizers. We were seated to a small dish of Goldfish crackers. My husband ordered a draft beer and I a mixed drink (lemonade with tea flavored vodka) that was ok. We started with an order of fried oysters that were very good. We also ordered the shrimp and calamari "basket" and an order of mussels both were decent but nothing spectacular. This restaurant was small, but cute and casual which is what we were looking for at the time. We were satisfied with our experience, but didn't find it exceptional in any way.