“My Favorite Local Haunt”
Review of Hank's Oyster Bar

Hank's Oyster Bar
Reserve with OpenTable
Hank's Oyster Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #11 of 766 Restaurants in Alexandria
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: Old Town
Reviewed November 7, 2013

When I have a craving for raw oysters, this is my go-to spot, and it does not disappoint. The simple presentation, fresh oysters (usually six a night, which you can order a-la-carte), and other delicious items like seared scallops and a terrific lobster roll with french fries make it a winner! Try the key lime pie. The cocktails are also strong and delicious. If you're lucky, Tom will be bartending -- he's the best! To minimize your wait time, call ahead when you're on your way to be put on the waiting list in advance. (Hank's doesn't take reservations.)
Note, the restaurant is loud and a little cramped, but nonetheless family-friendly. We have had great luck bringing our (well-behaved) toddler for an early dinner. It doesn't hurt that goldfish crackers are set out on your table when you arrive!

There are newer reviews for Hank's Oyster Bar

Reviewed November 6, 2013

We had a nice late lunch at Hank's and enjoyed the food and atmosphere. Definitely a great place to drop in when walking around Old Town!

Reviewed October 21, 2013

We stopped in for a late lunch on a Sunday so it was not so busy. We had no trouble getting seated. The oysters were fresh and tasted great. I also had the Lobster Bisque which was a little different than what I am used to. It is less creamy and more like a tomato soup than the usual bisque but it was not bad. I enjoyed the tangy taste and it was light. We also had the oyster po boy which was tasty with big fat oysters. The lobster roll was nice and big, so I appreciated that. Steamed mussels was not that great, I did not really like the broth. Was on a bit of a salty side for me. The price overall was ok, not cheap by any means but it is what I expected to pay for this type of food. We paid about $100 for lunch for 3 people with tips. The service was ok, not the most attentive but I am actually ok with that. I don't like people to hover over me while I eat. The staff was around for me to flag them down if I needed anything. overall I would recomend this place.

Reviewed October 9, 2013

Had dinner here with a co-worker on a Sunday night. Considering the day of the week and the time (after 8), the place was quite busy. Dinner was tasty, but be aware that they do run out of things on the menu. Try the mac and cheese on the side - it's delicious!

Reviewed October 4, 2013

My sister had just arrived in town and I knew what she would want for her first meal - full bellied fried clams, not available where she lives, but a childhood favorite of us both from New England. Our usual place wasn't going to work out so I googled and found Hank's (the Alexandria one). What a find. The place is tiny and easy to walk right on by. And it gets full, especially for its oyster happy hour (select varieties for $1 per and terrific). But from the great craft beer to start, the oysters and the fried clams, the meal was great. The waiter helpfully suggested ordering two appetizer portions then sides separately, for about the same price as the dinners but with better choices than fries and slaw. It was busy and noisy but it's that kind of place. Not romantic dining when I was there but just great seafood.