“I think you will really enjoy it”
Review of Hank's Oyster Bar

Hank's Oyster Bar
Ranked #10 of 755 Restaurants in Alexandria
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Bar
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Bar scene, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Brunch, Late Night, Drinks, Dinner, Full Bar, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Old Town
West Trenton, New Jersey
“I think you will really enjoy it”
Reviewed May 26, 2013

A three rating might be contradictory to my title, however there is a reason. Four of us had dinner and two dinners were really very well done (crab cake dinner and maui-mahi in a lobster bisque sauce with button mushrooms) and two less than satisfactory dinners (founder special in cornmeal and shrimp and Sunday special southern fried chicken). Other than this the following are observations:

1. Our waiter was outstanding. He knew his stuff (one person in our group had oysters but did not know what kind she wanted so he recommended one of four different type - she was thrilled and they were excellent). He helped us choose a wine and knew what he was talking about. In face, he had 9 tables he was taking care of and NEVER missed a beat. Excellent service.

2. Other reviewers say it is too small. I don't agree. It is not a large place but it is cozy and not nearly as "elbow to elbow" that some other raters said. Did have to site at the "cold table" so can't speak to that - we sat in the back of the restaurant and it was very nice - not too loud but with enough activity to keep it interesting.

Hank's is convenient (we stayed at the Loriel Kimpton Hotel on Kind Street) and Hank's was a 10 minute walk at a very casual pace. I called ahead of time and although they don't accept reservations they did take our name. When we arrived we were immediately sat.

So, two excellent meals, 2 not so hot - on my meal alone I would have rated it a 4 but need to give the bigger picture. I would return again to try the other options and to enjoy the great service.

1 Thank Skip H

Alexandria, VA
“In Touch with the Sea”
Reviewed May 20, 2013

A great little place to enjoy a wide variety of seafood, Hank's is squeezed into an old town house in Old Town Alexandria. While the oysters and clams are the main draw, the other seafood is terrific also -- fresh, creatively cooked and nicely presented. Ala carte is the name of the game here so be prepared to order a couple of side dishes to fill out your dinner. Don't miss the french fries. The wine and beer selections are varied so you can enhance the tastes of your entree. You are in in touch with the sea, but literally in touch with everybody else in tight surroundings. Quiet ambience, relaxed pace, luxurious space -- not at Hank's! You are part of tightly knit community gathered for good food and drink. Enthusiatic wait staff and prices that will stretch your wallet.

Williamsburg, Virginia
“Go for the Fresh Oysters, stay for dinner.”
Reviewed May 15, 2013

We tried 4 different fresh oysters and they were all delicious. Waitstaff was very knowledgeable about all of them and they were right. My main course was the Lobster Roll, that was the best I had outside Maine. My companions had the Oyster Po'boy, Yellow Fin Tuna Salad and the Mussels and they all raved of their choices. Only issue is the space, it is kind of cramped, but it creates atmosphere.

Chino, California
“Great Food and Friendly Service”
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Excellent seafood and daily specials make this a great restaurant for all tastes. My son had the lobster roll and a variety of oysters, my wife had ribeye steak and I had the fried chicken Sunday special, all meals were excellent and we each got to enjoy what we wanted. The bar was accommodating as to our drink preferences and the key lime pie was a perfect finish. Nice atmosphere too. Highly recommend.

Chicago, Illinois
“Hank's is great!”
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Went to Hank's with some friends for a Sunday lunch. Gotta say - one of the best meals I've had in Alex.

First, the drinks. Innovative, interesting and tasty. Even standbys like the old fashioned I had, made with local Virginia whiskey. It was quite tasty -- not too sweet, but enough to take the burn off of the brown liquor.

I had had a rather late breakfast, so ate light. The crab cake sandwich was delicious. The cake itself was a tad small, dwarfed by the bun, but the flavor and texture were spot on.

We didn't have dessert, but were tempted by the offerings. All in all, I'd go back in a heartbeat.