“Hard to find but worth it!”
Review of Hank's Oyster Bar

Hank's Oyster Bar
Reserve with OpenTable
Hank's Oyster Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #9 of 765 Restaurants in Alexandria
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Old Town
Reviewed January 28, 2013

I walked past this place 2 nights in a row, it's upstairs and easy to miss. Great bartender, very friendly place. The oysters, both on the half shell and fried were excellent. Highly recommended!

There are newer reviews for Hank's Oyster Bar

Reviewed January 27, 2013

I am allergic to celery seed and celery salt, commonly found in Old Bay, a love of this establishment. My husband and I split the shrimp po-boy and the seafood cob. The shrimp po boy came with Old Bay fries, I explained to the server that I was allergic to celery salt and celery seed. No problem, the fries could come without Old Bay. Well, the seafood cob came with celery seed in the vinaigrette...so my husband had to leave to get me allergy meds.

We were dining with 3 other friends we had not seen in a long time and were looking forward to catching up with. Seeing as I was suffering from an allergic reaction with a swollen tongue and hives everywhere and my husband had to leave to get my allergy meds, it was a crappy (and expensive) experience. We will not return.

Additionally, the manager should probably have come to talk to us, but didn't and the salad was not taken off the bill...nice!

Reviewed January 24, 2013

During busy hours the wait can be long but it is definitely worth it. The staff is friendly and knowledgable about the oyster and good selections. The dining space isn't that large so expect your table to be close to other diners and the noise level may get a bit elevated but once the great food hits your table it will all become background noise. Enjoy!

Reviewed January 23, 2013

If you blink you'll miss it, but if you manage to find it (the blue row house at the intersection of King St and S. Henry St) you won't be disappointed. The bar is tiny, maybe 5 seats, and the place is always packed, but the oysters are first rate and the service is friendly and knowledgeable. They always have a good selection of oysters, both local and from out of town, and the rest of the menu is great too. I've had the Oyster Po Boy and it's the best I've ever had. Despite its diminutive size and popularity the wait is usually not to bad, just don't expect to sit comfortably at the bar while you wait. The last time we went we had a group of 8 people, which is a lot for such a tiny place, but the staff was very accommodating and happily got us a couple of tables together. Definitely a must for any oyster lover in the Washington DC metro area.

Reviewed December 10, 2012

Went there for dinner with friends and we walked right by the restaurant several times. Small storefront that is easily missed, but once inside, it’s a great place to meet and have dinner. Food was amazing, had the crabcake dinner and enjoyed two delicious crab cakes with house fries. Prices are comparable to other restaurants in the area but the cozy high energy of the place makes you want to come back.
The only issues we had were with the staff. According to their website, you can call 30 minutes ahead to have a table waiting for you or be added to list. My wife called while we were on our way, but the hostess was rude and told her she had to call back when we were 15 minutes out. Suggest the management update their website to reflect their current call ahead policy. Secondly, order the chocolate mousse dessert but received the dessert item that our waiter discouraged us from ordering. The waiter took it off our bill but didn’t offer to bring out the right dessert we ordered.