“Excellent Stay”

Ranked #20 of 53 Hotels in Alexandria
Singapore, Singapore
“Excellent Stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 19, 2010

This hotel makes me feel very homely, and comfortable. I totally adore the Kitchen. It was stocked up with snacks, soup, instant noodles, drinks, ice cream, cofffee machine. And you are welcome to get anything you want. Utensiles, hot water, oven etc are also ready.

Room is spacious, super king size bed (too big for me), wired internet access, work desk. Everything was perfect. Breakfast wise was average, but no complains.

What can be improved will the the service. Receptionist is lazy, and not very helpful.

But generally, this is a very nice place to stay in.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
bwoldcolony, General Manager at Old Colony Inn Alexandria, responded to this review, November 23, 2010
Thank you so much for letting me know how your stay went. I am glad that you felt at home and enjoyed the snack kitchen. It is our goal that you have everything you need so that you have a great and memorable experience. I appreciate you bringing to my attention the service you experienced and I am looking into it. We hope to see you again in the future.

Shaunna Grace

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
joisey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2010

The owners say they want you to feel at home -- complete with a stocked kitchen to raid for a midnight snack (or anytime) -- for free. It's unbelievable! Actually, the selection in that kitchen makes home a lot less appealing to return to -- at least as far as snacks are concerned! Breakfast at the hotel was good. Sheets somehow seemed extra clean. Internet is free but not wireless, as best we could determine. There is a business centere with two pc's.
The guest kitchen is the best reason to come here. Washington was great, but even if we don't feel like hiking around the city some time, we may just go there and hang at the hotel -- eating ice cream, cookies, chips, yogurt, and drinking juice, water, soda, fresh coffee, tea.
They also have a full kitchen the staff uses to prepare morning breakfast. The only bad thing I have to say about food here is that the scrambled eggs were barely eatable, maybe powdered or watered down too much, There was a yummy breakfast burrito one day. They have okay pastries, English muffins, a waffle machine. plus oatmeal, cereals and fruit.
The hotel staff is the most helpful and friendliest we've come across in a long time.
To get into to DC by car is maybe 15 minutes -- I never timed it -- a fairly straight shot on the highway the hotel is on. They have a free shuttle to the metro train station every half hour. Even on the weekend, parking was very hard to find around the attractions -- and a quarter buys you just seven minutes! You need a lot of change!!!
( I'm not saying much about the room itself because we got the last one and I don't think it's representative of most rooms there. It did not have a flat screen and the bathroom was outdated. The shower has a water massager that couldn't be adjusted to spray.) Nevertheless, we enjoyed our stay here and will be going back.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank jerz88
I appreciate you taking the time to write about your great stay. It is our goal that you have the best stay possible and experience superior hospitality. The snack kitchen has been a hit ever since the owners first introduced it and we love that we are able to offer it to our guests. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay and look forward to seeing you again, you are welcome to hang out with us anytime!

Shaunna Grace
Greenville, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2010

Very pleasant experience. The staff was friendly and went out of their way to help. Breakfast ended at 9:30 AM, but when I and other late-rising guests straggled down at 9:10 AM, the staff brought out new hot trays of sausage, eggs and other items, and didn't chase us out of the breakfast room. They also have a snack room where you can get water, juice, cereal bars, coffee, etc. 24 hrs a day - very nice amenity I hadn't seen anywhere else. The rooms weren't anything special tho, hardwired instead of wireless internet (but it is still free), no elevator, so may not be best for disabled.. You can walk to Old Town Alexandria and the Braddock Road Metro station (about 1/2 mile walk for each), but you may wish to take taxi at nighttime to and from Metro station due to projects near station. Neighborhood around hotel is fine. Overall, an excellent experience.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank lwaivers
Orange County, CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2010

I needed an "overnight hotel" after arriving at Reagan International.and this fit the need perfectly. Was walking distance to a quaint Italian restaurant. Parking was well lite and close to entrance of hotel.
Staff was available, very pleasant and very helpful.
Complimentary breakfast was better than average.
The room was small, clean but not remarkable in visual attributes. The bathroom spotless. Furnishings looked a little tired, but then again, I wasn't resorting!!!
This fit the bill for the basic needs of a tired traveller,

• Stayed September 2010
1 Thank Cynthia H
Saint Louis, Missouri
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2010

If you are looking for a clean hotel that is close to the DC Metro, at a fair price, witha very helpful friendly staff, free parking, a very good complimentary breakfast, free shuttle around Alexandria and a 24/7 free snack kitchen (with drinks, ice cream, chips, cookies, soups and fruit) this hotel will be a great fit for you. If you are looking for a stylish and posh hotel, this will not work for you. My family stayed there on our recent DC trip and found the hotel to be comfortable but very plain and simple. There isn't a pool and their hot tub is out of commission (we overheard it to be permanently). Also, beware the beds are only double and not the most comfortable we've seen. My husband is 6'3" and had trouble getting comfortable in our bed.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank Travelhistorynut
Basye, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2010

With most of the city booked for the evening, I took a chance on the Old Colony...every aspect of my stay far exceeded my expectations! The hospitality at check-in was superb, and I found the entire property very clean and well maintained. I also found the value to be unbelievable! The property is obviously well managed. I have been in the hospitality industry over 35 years, working with luxury resorts and hotels, and I can highly recommend the Old Colony for service, quality and overall value. This is a hidden gem.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank Caprep1
New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2010

This was our first trip with our very young kids. We were nervous about travelling, but the staff here made everything great. They let us check in early, and check out late. There were free snacks and beverages upstairs. King St. is about a 10 minute walk from this hotel, but it wasn't a massive deal. Parking is free, and DC is straight up the road 5 miles. For any family that wants to tour DC, but doesn't want the hectic city atmosphere, this place was perfect.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family