“Great Location”

Old Colony Inn Alexandria
Ranked #20 of 54 Hotels in Alexandria
Reviewed April 19, 2014

As most have posted, the hotel was a little outdated - no ice machine and elevator to the upper floor and a little hard to get to with no turns along the GW Parkway. However, the staff treated us well. Even though our room did not have a refridgerator (my wife needed it to keep her insulin cold) - they provided us with one within an hour or two after checking in. They also provide shuttle service to and from the Metro station as well as to the airport.

Once you figure out by car, how to get around the area, ii is easy to access Old Alexandria as well as getting to the freeways to various points of interests. As with most suburban areas, the streets are very busy during commute hours...

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family

Reviewed April 13, 2014

We chose this hotel based upon the reviews here. Our purpose for our trip was to visit Old Town. It was advertised as 6 blocks from King street and having shuttle service.
If you come in from Washington Street from King Street, and you fail to veer to the right, you will miss the property, and there and NO TURN signs on the entire highway. Therefore, we did have a bit of frustration because we missed it and it was not easy to turn around and get back to the correct road.
Check in was swift, the room was clean. We waited for the driver of the shuttle but arrived at shift change after 20 minutes with no one showing up we decided to walk. It seemed like a bit longer than 6 blocks but we enjoyed the walk as we cut thru St Asaph street and enjoyed the cobble stone street.
We did not call for the shuttle to return but it is offered as a service. Given the constant congested traffic in the area and on King street, we wonder if it is faster to walk.

Bottom line, average is not a bad rating. There was nothing outstanding about the property or service. But I have no complaints. if planning more activity near King street I would try for a hotel closer to that area.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
Shelby C, General Manager at Old Colony Inn Alexandria, responded to this reviewResponded April 22, 2014

katrinaalvarez,
Thank you for taking time to give us a review. We are nothing fancy but we have a nice quiet and clean hotel and I am glad you had a chance to stay with us.
It so nice to hear that you enjoyed King Street. It is a great area. You are right about the traffic on King Street and at times it easier to walk. We would be happy to have you come back to the area and visit again.

Reviewed April 10, 2014

From the website and even the outside, this place looks cute and colonial. However it's clear that things haven't been updated or replaced in ages, and not in a cute, charming way, in a worn down, crappy way. Had to pay an extra fed for a mini fridge which I found to be ridiculous, and there's not even ice machine, just bags of sitting in a fridge. The bathroom floor was sticky and had some hair on it and some of the pillows had hair on them too, leading me to wonder if/how well the room had been cleaned. The worst part, however was the smell upon entering the room. It smelled stale and of body odor...like a locker room. I'm by no means a germaphobe or a neat freak, but it just didn't have a clean feeling, which isn't right because it isn't a very cheap hotel. Basically, it didn't make me want to run away immediately , but I wouldn't stay again and will explore other nearby options next time I'm in town.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo

Blr531,
I am so sorry to hear about your experience. You are absolutely right that if you don't feel it's clean then you start to wonder. We are an older property but we do keep our rooms clean. I am taking what you said back to my housekeeping department and we will use this to train our staff better. Please come back again and give us a chance to show you what good service we can provide for you.
Thank you again for letting me know about your stay.

Reviewed April 9, 2014

We have been staying at Best Western's now for about 3 years. We usually stay at a Best Western when we travel to Plymouth, MA to visit family members. So I am familiar with their free breakfast and other amenities at Best Westerns. Unfortunately, when we arrived at the Old Colony Best Western, I was dissappointed to find that there was no elevator, no microwave, no refrigerator and no pool. I am aware that there was no pool when I booked our room, but to not have a microwave and refrig (unless you had to pay a fee to have these) was very dissappointing to me. I know that this motel is very old, but how can you have patrons climbing up stairs carrying extremely heavy luggage. Although there was a "lift" in the main lobby it said it was only for handicapped people. Also, the furniture in the main lobby was in desparate need of a good old fashioned cleaning. We were afraid to sit down on the chairs because they were filthy dirty! On a few occasions, a very dirty man (obviously a homeless man) came in the lobby and sat down on one of the chairs. My son-in-law had to go outside for some fresh air because the stench was just horrible. This happened two days in a row. Definitely not the way to start off the day!!!!!!

On the positive side, it is convenient to Washington and more importantly to the Air Force base which was the reason we came to the area. I just think that after paying almost $160 for the first night and then $136 for the remaining nights, we would have gotten at least a little more for our money. I'm really not sure if I could ever recommend this place to fellow travelers.

Room Tip: If you don't want to climb a ton of stairs with heavy luggage, get a first floor.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Linda B

Linda B,
I want to thank you for giving us a review. I understand that you were disappointed in not having a refrigerator or microwave in your room. I know that a lot of hotels have these in their rooms now days. This is something we are looking into as well. As far as the furniture in the lobby goes I just want you to know that it is brand new furniture and it is not dirty. I do see how you would think it is dirty by the way the material is brushed looking. Please come back and see us again if you are in the area. If there is anything I can do for, please let me know.

Reviewed April 6, 2014

My son and I stayed here during a Spring Break college visit. The rooms were cheaper than hotels in D.C. proper, so we were willing to make some sacrifices to location. The staff was very courteous, especially the shuttle driver, Woody. The hotel has shuttle service to the airport, the Braddock Metro stop and within a 2-mile radius of the hotel. This was wonderful since we did not have a car.

Our room was on the 2nd floor. The decor was pleasant. While the linens were updated, the mattress seemed old and not very firm. The room itself, including the bathroom, seemed old. Still, things seemed clean. We stayed three nights and the room was cleaned each day when we returned from our outings.

There was no elevator service. The included breakfast is served in the basement, so it was quite a haul if you have difficulty with stairs. There is a "lift" in the lobby that appears to go to the basement, but it was not clear that it worked. No one offered its service to me. I use a portable oxygen machine that is heavy to carry up and down stairs. This was the major disadvantage that I saw with this hotel.

Breakfast, like breakfast at the other Best Westerns that we visit, is free but mostly mediocre. It is convenient, especially if all you really want is coffee, juice, and toast. There is a hot egg entree, sausage, and gravy. Also, you can make your own waffle. Yogurt, cold cereal, and fruit are also available. If you are expecting restaurant quality food, this could be disappointing.

The hotel's location is just off the main highway headed south from D.C. towards Mount Vernon, but it is easy to overlook the hotel. Signs could be better. It is within walking distance of several restaurants and a major grocery store. Local public transportation is good. There was some covered parking along with outside parking. If you want to park for free and take the Metro or bus into D.C., this is a nice spot to be.

Room Tip: The hotel charges extra for an in-room refrigerator and a microwave. Be sure to ask at check-in or...
1  Thank 14crystallynn

Hello, it was so nice to hear from you regarding our Best Western. I am sorry to here that no one told you about the "lift" to the bottom floor as it is for anyone to use. I am glad to hear that other then that you enjoyed your stay with us. Please come see us again.

Reviewed March 31, 2014

I stayed for one night with my family during a road trip while I am passing through Alexandria and the hotel was not hard to find, the staff were very friendly and helpful. I got a room on the second floor and the only problem was that there was no elevator for guests but only one for handicap people. Additional bonus for this hotel is that you can get a brief history lesson from American past.

Room Tip: Call in advance to reserve a room at the first floor if you do not like to climb stairs
2  Thank NAVARO-USA
Shelby C, Manager at Old Colony Inn Alexandria, responded to this reviewResponded April 1, 2014

Thank you so much for your comments about our hotel. We were so happy to have you stay with us and we are glad you enjoyed your stay as well. if you come back to visit again and you don't get a room upstairs just let our drivers know and they will be happy to assist you with your luggage up the stairs.

Reviewed March 30, 2014

Best Western Old Colony Inn was the perfect place to stay for our Washington D.C. vacation. The hotel is just moments away from Braddock Road Metro stop (and with the free shuttle service there is no need to worry!) and then a short trip on the Yellow line to the center of D.C. The best part was that we got away from the "city" atmosphere for a peaceful night's rest.

Review collected in partnership with Best Western