“Has its pluses and minuses”

Old Colony Inn Alexandria
Ranked #22 of 54 Hotels in Alexandria
Houston, Texas
“Has its pluses and minuses”
Reviewed October 3, 2013

Pros- very good value for the area. They run a free shuttle to a metro station and to old town Alexandria every 30 minutes. The front desk was very helpful and the breakfast was outstanding, they changed the hot food menu every day. We walked several nights to have dinner about 3-4 blocks away and felt very safe.
Cons- bed and pillows were not very comfortable, room was nice and clean but the air conditioner for a central unit was noisy. The bathroom was clean but needs to be updated and exhaust fan is noisy. Some things need to be updated

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Shelby C, General Manager at Old Colony Inn Alexandria, responded to this review, October 4, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel. We appreciate hearing from our guest so that we know what areas we need to work on and what areas we are doing ok. We appreciate your comments and will take a look at that noisy exhaust fan.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
Sacramento, United States
Reviewed October 2, 2013

The Old Colony room was basic, but updated with new furnishings and a very comfotable bed. The main amenity is the complimentary shuttle service is convenient in getting to local restaurants, Metro and airport; but it is available only to 9:00 p.m. The neighborhood seems safe, but is not well lit in Old Colony's vicinity. Overall, we believe the Trip Advisor rating is reflective of the very good value we received.

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Louisa, Virginia
Reviewed September 29, 2013

I stayed at this hotel in September of 2012 and was very pleased, so pleased that I went directly back to this hotel when I needed to stay in Alexandria in Sept of 2013. It is not the same. Apparently it is under new management. There were other small indications but it would have been okay except for a 3AM phone call on Sunday morning checking to see if I was in the hotel. There is NO excuse for a 3AM phone call especially when there were already charges on my bill for a refrigerator and candy bought from the store at the hotel. The front desk person who called offered to remove the refrigerator charge from the bill to make up for the 3AM call. When I returned home I called and requested the whole second night be removed from the bill since we were unable to get back to sleep and had only 4 hours sleep. When I called I asked to speak to the manager and was told she was not in. The next time I called I asked to speak to the manager and was told I was speaking to the manager. I swear it was the same voice I had spoken to earlier. I was offered $70 off of the bill which included removing the refrigerator charge. To date I have not seen the $70 off of my bill or a final bill. As near as I can tell I think the refrigerator charge was removed but not the additional $50. I seriously doubt management knows anything about what happened. This is not my first bad experience with a Best Western. I had started staying at Best Westerns again (I travel a lot) since my experience with Old Colony in 2012 but not anymore if I can help it and definitely never again at this hotel.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank AlisonT874
Shelby C, General Manager at Old Colony Inn Alexandria, responded to this review, October 1, 2013
Dear AlisonT874,
Thank you so much for your information regarding your stay and about that 3AM phone call. I am deeply sorry about this and I am going to find out what happened that would cause a call at that time of the morning. I will also make sure you do get your refund. This is not the way we normally run our hotel and I hope you will come back and give us a second chance to show what good customer service we can provide.
San Dimas, United States
Reviewed September 28, 2013

I was very pleased with the Old Colony Inn. The staff was helpful, and the room was comfortable. A shuttle was available for transportation, but being from the LA area, I perferred having my own car to explore Alexandria and the surrounding areas. I found this historic city very easy to learn, and the restaurants were wonderful - great seafood and wine. The variety of boutiques and their merchandise was a delight to explore.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Lawrence, KS
Reviewed September 26, 2013

... I had called the day before arrival to confirm and let them know my life was late and assure that all was well. I was told that all was in order however when I arrived they didn't have the correct room as reserved. I was not happy, but the next day the management made the best of a bad situation(a room had to be repaired so was not available) and adjusted my rate. That was a valid effort at solving the problem. I like this motel. Certainly older and dated but well run, quiet, clean, close to several service businesses and 2 blocks from bus to Metro. Only two stories but no elevator. I will try them again as I travel to DC several times a year.

Room Tip: Only two stories but no elevator.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Miami, Florida
Reviewed September 24, 2013

We visited DC for four days and we stayed at the Best Western Old Colony Inn, and it was great! It's obviously not a five start hotel, but it's much better. They are great in price, the rooms are cozy but very clean. There's coffee available at all times, and the breakfast is great (completely free). They make you feel like it's home and it's in a great location. If you've never been to DC, you'll love Alexandria, the houses and apartments are beautiful.

The hotel offers complimentary shuttle services to the train station, king street, the airport, and it's upon request, and they're great at that. The drivers are extremely nice and it really feels likes you're just meant to be there. The station is a couple of minutes away and to get to the center of DC it takes around 10 minutes, take the yellow train and transfer if you want to get there faster. Also, make sure you land in the Reagan airport, we chose BWI by mistake... first time out there... obviously.

Great place, would recommend it to anyone!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
So glad to hear that you had a good time here in Alexandria. It is a nice quite area but like you said still close to DC. Come back and stay at your home away from home anytime.
Porter, Maine
Reviewed September 21, 2013

We could not be happier with our stay at the Old Colony Inn. Clean, comfortable, quiet room and a great breakfast every morning. The kind, courteous staff made the stay more enjoyable. They all did an excellent job, from the front desk to the maintenance staff to the shuttle chauffeurs! Keep up the good work! Shuttle service to the Metro, Old Town, airport, any where you want to go. It is close to all the Old Town restaurants & shops, but it is just two blocks (easy walk) from TJ Stones Grill House & Tap Room, another great find during our vacation. It is located in a nice part of town, we felt safe even walking at night. We will definitely stay here again when we are in the DC area and will recommend it to our friends. Getting there is the hardest part. Coming up from 495, by the time you see it, you've missed the entrance. If you take 3 hard rights after you go by it, you will come down 2nd street right to the entrance.