“Great Experience”

Old Colony Inn Alexandria
Ranked #23 of 54 Hotels in Alexandria
Reviewed September 24, 2013

We visited DC for four days and we stayed at the Best Western Old Colony Inn, and it was great! It's obviously not a five start hotel, but it's much better. They are great in price, the rooms are cozy but very clean. There's coffee available at all times, and the breakfast is great (completely free). They make you feel like it's home and it's in a great location. If you've never been to DC, you'll love Alexandria, the houses and apartments are beautiful.

The hotel offers complimentary shuttle services to the train station, king street, the airport, and it's upon request, and they're great at that. The drivers are extremely nice and it really feels likes you're just meant to be there. The station is a couple of minutes away and to get to the center of DC it takes around 10 minutes, take the yellow train and transfer if you want to get there faster. Also, make sure you land in the Reagan airport, we chose BWI by mistake... first time out there... obviously.

Great place, would recommend it to anyone!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
Shelby C, General Manager at Old Colony Inn Alexandria, responded to this reviewResponded October 1, 2013

So glad to hear that you had a good time here in Alexandria. It is a nice quite area but like you said still close to DC. Come back and stay at your home away from home anytime.

Reviewed September 21, 2013

We could not be happier with our stay at the Old Colony Inn. Clean, comfortable, quiet room and a great breakfast every morning. The kind, courteous staff made the stay more enjoyable. They all did an excellent job, from the front desk to the maintenance staff to the shuttle chauffeurs! Keep up the good work! Shuttle service to the Metro, Old Town, airport, any where you want to go. It is close to all the Old Town restaurants & shops, but it is just two blocks (easy walk) from TJ Stones Grill House & Tap Room, another great find during our vacation. It is located in a nice part of town, we felt safe even walking at night. We will definitely stay here again when we are in the DC area and will recommend it to our friends. Getting there is the hardest part. Coming up from 495, by the time you see it, you've missed the entrance. If you take 3 hard rights after you go by it, you will come down 2nd street right to the entrance.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 19, 2013

Great rates,rooms, free breakfasts,and free parking in the heart of old town, Alexandria,VA. This is a really good deal BUT you will have to play 'hide and seek' to find it after you book and recheck your hotel reservation with them just before going there. This property gets high high marks for value. The biggest problem is that it is very difficult to find, even though it's legal address says Wash. St., you can neither see it or enter it from there. It is about two stories only; the rooms are nice enough and the location excellent. As long as you get really good directions there, this is an outstanding value.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed September 16, 2013

Stayed here based on TA reviews and the recommendation of a friend who stays here. Very pleased with the facility. Within easy walking distance of King St food and shops. Shuttle service to the Metro and other areas. Much better than average breakfast. Large room with fast WIFI. Good parking. Clean and comfortable. What more do you need?

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 13, 2013

Well. I guess I should preface this review with: I generally stay at Marriott's. I selected this property because Marriott was very expensive compared to Best Western. This is an older property. It needs some repairs. There is no elevator. Having said that, we did have a pleasant time at this property and the owner/manager made every effort to accommodate us. By this I mean, the first room we were put into had a problem with a light in the sink area that could not turn off. Blue tape stuck over the switch and said: DO NOT TOUCH. I called the front desk but the clerk said they were sold out and couldn't change our rooms that first evening. The light was bright and drifted into the bedroom causing me to put pillows over my head to block the light. However, the next morning, I took pictures of the switch to the front desk and the owner/manager seemed appalled that we'd put in that room. She agreed to move us to another room, discounted our rate for the first night by 50% and also discounted the second night by a little. I felt her efforts to make things right were more than expected. So on those grounds, I really enjoyed the service. I've rated it lower because of the age of the rooms (they could use some updating). We were staying there to see the area and we spent little time in our room. The breakfast was fine. It was within walking distance ( for us--about one mile) to King Street. The hotel provided shuttle service to King Street and Braddock Station on the day we wanted to take the metro into Washington, D.C. I guess I just felt the original price for the room was high based upon the condition of the property. But we are from Oregon. Alexandria is expensive. This was the cheapest name brand property I could find (using AAA). Would I stay here again? Yes, if the price was reasonable, because the staff was friendly and accommodating. This Best Western was clean and we did sleep well the second night. I think it just depends on what kinds of hotels you are used to. This wasn't really a vacation property. It was a trip property. By that I mean if you are sightseeing and spending very little time there, it is a great place to rest your head. If you are using this as your primary place to vacation, I'd be disappointed. But that's me.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank atwell4

First of all I would like to thank you for giving us a review. It was nice to hear that you enjoyed you time with us here at the Best Western Old Colony Inn. I am sorry about the light and I am glad we could get it taken care of for you. If you have a chance to come back to Alexandria, please come see us again.

Reviewed September 10, 2013

We thoroughly enjoyed our six day stay. The hotel location could not have been better. The availability of the shuttle within a two mile radius was great. Staff could not have been any nicer, always a smile and answers. We will be back!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Best Western
Shelby C, General Manager at Old Colony Inn Alexandria, responded to this reviewResponded September 12, 2013

Dear John G.,
Thank you so much for your comments. Glad to hear you enjoyed your stay with us at the Best Western Old Colony Inn. We will be waiting for you to come on back to home away from home.
See you next time,

Reviewed August 31, 2013

We traveled to Washing Dc Aug 25 for 4 days and booked Best Western Old Colony Inn in Alexandria for our trip. We had the most enjoyable stay at this hotel. The people there made you feel right at home.The hotel was very clean and well maintained. The shuttle service to the Metro and to Old Town was as good as it could be.The hot breakfast every morning was very good. The ladies at the front desk were very nice and fun to talk to. I would stay there again and send others there also.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple