Old Colony Inn Alexandria
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Pool
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
All reviewsmetro stationfree shuttleold townshuttle serviceking streetroom was cleandvd playeryogurtfirst flooran older hotelhotel shuttlefree breakfastdc areapleasant stayreagan airportfew blocksair conditioner
FilterAll languages
Reviewed August 26, 2013

We stayed at the Best Western Colony Inn for 2 nights. We visited Mount Vernon, Fort Washington & shopped King Street (downtown Alexandria). The hotel was very clean, the staff helpful. It is close to the Mount Vernon trail. Breakfast was ok, waffles, cereals, etc. - the eggs were fair (maybe powdered?) They have bagged ice for convenience, there wasn't a refrigerator in our room. Seemed to be a quiet area, they provide local shuttle transportation. The only thing missing was a pool. Overall, a good choice for travelers.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Best Western
Reviewed August 14, 2013

If I ever visit the D.C. area again, I will definitely stay here. The location is great, and the hotel has such charm. We liked the shuttle to Old Town and King St. It made it easy to get there when parking is so hard to find.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
Shelby C, General Manager at Old Colony Inn Alexandria, responded to this reviewResponded September 12, 2013

First I want to thank you for commenting on your stay with us at the Best Western Old Colony Inn.
We are happy you enjoyed yourselves and come back and see us again.

Reviewed August 7, 2013

Our stay at the Best Western Old town Alexandria was like home away from home. A few blocks up from King street, easy to find , close to everything (between 5 and 10 minutes to national mall) , quiet and relaxing, friendly staff and was able to park right outside the front door for free!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Best Western
Reviewed August 3, 2013

My husband I stayed at the Best Western Old Colony Inn in late July 2013 while we were exploring the DC area. For convenience to public transport and restaurants, it was hard to beat. The main food district is less than a mile down the road, and the metro is less than 2 miles. We walked to both and were perfectly comfortable with the area.

Now the things I've seen others complain about in more negative reviews:
(1) Yes, this inn does NOT have refrigerators. We made this mistake and brought sandwiches with us for the zoo the next day. They ended up going to waste because we had no cool place to put them.
(2) No, the staff don't vanish and/or leave the front desk unmanned. Every time we came in and out, there was a staff member helping other guests or greeting us. When we asked for a bag of ice because their cooler wasn't stocked, they brought a small bag to our room just for us. Very, very helpful and considerate.
(3) Yes, there is NO elevator to the upper floor and if I'm honest I do not recall the front entrance being wheelchair accessible.... There is an elevator down to the free computer access and continental buffet, however.
(4) Yes, the parking is free and it is ample. We pulled up just after supper and there were plenty of spaces. It was such a relief to have worry-free parking!
(5) No, the free continental buffet isn't great. Or special. If you have allergies, dietary issues, or are vegetarian/vegan by choice, there is no option. Me, I'm lactose intolerant, so the assortment of yogurts, cereals with milk, oatmeal, toast, English muffins, and waffles wouldn't do. We ended up walking down the road to the Whole Foods Market and ate breakfast there. Yum!
(6) The area surrounding. In the front of the hotel, you are facing the roadway with a bit of greenery between you and the road. My husband is a light sleeper but we had no problems with noise, and the curtains in the room were more than ample for blocking out the light.
(7) Cleanliness. Good, clean rooms and bathrooms. Fresh linens and no smells. The AC works well too, and there was no "dampness" that another reviewer was commenting on in this same timeframe.

Free wi-fi, a convenient location, easy to get to, helpful staff, and more affordably priced than most hotels in the Alexandria area, we were happy with our stay. It's an older hotel, so don't expect the ritz, but if you're commuting into Washington for any reason, this is a great option!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Shelby C, General Manager at Old Colony Inn Alexandria, responded to this reviewResponded August 5, 2013

First I want to Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay at our property.

We appreciate your business and it very important to us and we value your feedback. By telling us what you liked about your stay and addressing other issues was very thoughtful and we appreciate your input. We hope you will come back and see us again soon.
And again, Thank you.

Reviewed August 2, 2013

I reserved a room here based on other reviews and cost. When we arrived, there was no one at the front desk. Another customer was also waiting ahead of us. We then find out there was no elevator and no refrigerator--my fault, I should have checked more closely. I just needed to refrig some cold cuts for lunch the next couple of days. I then find out that their ice machine was not working. There was a heat wave at the time and daily temps were 95 degrees. There was no attempt to repair the ice machine during our 3-day stay. The carpet in our room was also wet from A/C condensation. I was told we would receive a discount, but did not. Upon checking out I told them had dissatisfied I was and they said they would send me a Best Western gift card. 10 days later and it still hasn't arrived. By the way, there seemed to be a dffierent desk clerk every day....and one of them was a mean, old lady. "Breakfast" was also a joke.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family

First of all I would like to thank you for the information regarding your recent stay at our property.

I understand you were here during our heat wave and we had trouble with the Ice machine however we did go get bags of ice for our guest. As far as the discount goes, I am sorry I didn't know about that but if you contact me at the hotel I will gladly take care of that for as well.