“Worst Hotel Experience Ever”

Old Colony Inn Alexandria
Ranked #22 of 54 Hotels in Alexandria
Reviewed July 22, 2013

My wife, two-year old daughter and I arrived at this hotel at around midnight on July 16th. We had flown into Washington D.C. from China and had been traveling for 23 straight hours at the point we reached the hotel. We had booked a reservation at the Old Colony Inn, we had ensured that our room was guaranteed for a late arrival and had reserved a room on the first floor because I have a disability and the hotel does not have an elevator. We had also paid in advance online. When we arrived at the hotel we were told that the hotel was overbooked and that we would have to go somewhere else. We had lots of luggage and were exhausted. So to say that I was very angry goes without saying. For the next hour the receptionist at the hotel worked find us another hotel at which we could stay. Most of the places were booked so she placed us at another Best Western about 20 minutes away in Falls Church, VA. This was a major inconvenience because we had business to do in D.C. and were now staying inconveniently far away. To her credit, the receptionist did cover our taxi charges to the new hotel. It was about 1:30 in the morning when we arrived at the hotel in Falls Church (the Best Western Falls Church Inn), the receptionist was not at the desk so we had to wait for him. At the Falls Church Inn we were told that the room that was reserved for us was on the second floor, that there was no elevator available and that there were no rooms on the first floor available. Why we were given a reservation on the second floor of a room by the lady receptionist at the Old Colony Inn I do not understand. I was standing in front of her for an hour with my cane and with 5 large suitcases. She should have known that the room wouldn't have worked for us, especially as we had requested a first floor room. We went ahead and checked in to the Falls Church Inn, as it was already so late. My wife had to take our two year old daughter up to the room and get her ready for bed. I then had to carry all of our 5 very large suitcases up two flights of stairs to get to our room. The worst part of the whole experience was that the first flight of stairs was in direct view of the reception desk, maybe 15 or 20 feet away. As I struggled to get my bags up the stairs the receptionist just stood at his desk and watched me struggle to get bag after bag up the stairs. I have a leg disability and to have the receptionist not even offer to help was unbelievable and insulting. During the process of checking in I had noticed that I had left my cane at the Old Colony Inn. While I was moving the bags towards the stairs I asked the receptionist if he could call the Old Colony Inn to ask if they could hold my cane for me, so I could pick it up the next day. He obliged, told me that they didn't have the cane (it was eventually found) and then continued to watch me carry all of my bags up two flights of stairs. I could not, and still can't, believe the lack of service provided by your hotel. I don't understand how your hotel chain, whose logo is "stay with people who care", can cancel the reservations of people who have already paid and then have a receptionist stand by and totally ignore the needs of a customer with a disability. It is insulting, rude and unbelievable that any hotel could treat someone in such a way. If I had called that day to cancel my reservation I would have been charged the full stay at the hotel. But you hypocritically hold the right the cancel a hotel reservation at any point, at the benefit to your bottom line and at a cost to your customers. I was not the only person at your hotel to be turned away that night because of this practice. I can not believe that any hotel would treat its customers this way!

Review collected in partnership with Best Western
4  Thank Chris C
Shelby C, General Manager at Old Colony Inn Alexandria, responded to this reviewResponded July 24, 2013

Dear Sir:

On behalf of our entire team, I would like to apologize for not exceeding your expectations. I am very sorry for all of the problems you had here at the Best Western Old Colony Inn. Even though I have nothing to do with the Falls Church property, I do apologize for that experience as well. As I explained to you before, there was some miss- communication at our front desk that evening. Yes we were booked but I had already made arrangements for your stay at another hotel downtown where we would provider transportation there and then to bring you back the next day to continue your stay with us. I am sorry that information was not given to you and that is something I took up with my front desk staff since then. She too said she was sorry that she misunderstood the message that was left for her.
Your satisfaction is important to us and we will be using the feedback you gave us to implement improvements to ensure we offer a better experience for guests in the future. I do not know how often you travel, but I like I told you, I would like to send you a Best Western Travel Card that is good at any Best Western World wide. Please send me your address so that I can send it to you.

I hope that you will consider staying with us again so that we can have another chance to provide you with a superior experience and show you we are people who care.

There are newer reviews for Old Colony Inn Alexandria

Reviewed July 20, 2013

I booked this hotel via Hotel.com without prepaying. A couple days before my reservation date, Hotel.com offered an excellent prepaid rate. So I canceled my original reservation and switched to prepaid. That created a bit of confusion with my reservation at the hotel upon my check-in, but they were able to locate my prepaid reservation. The front desk person was very helpful.

My room was what you’d expect at any Best Western hotels, nothing fancy, but I could see they tried to modernize the décor and keep the up-to-date look as best they could with what they have. It’s a comfortable room. Bathroom area where the sink is may be a bit too small for larger people. But overall it’s a decent size room.

I had a nice stay, thanks to front desk staff and housekeeping staff!

Room Tip: There’s no elevator. If you have many luggages and don’t want to carry them upstairs, you may want...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed July 13, 2013

My husband and I took my grandson to Washington Dc for a trip. We stood at the hotel the service and staff was excellent even the breakfast they served every morning. The rooms also were very clean they also had service to and from the train station. I would go back and stay their again.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Shelby C, General Manager at Old Colony Inn Alexandria, responded to this reviewResponded July 22, 2013

First of all I would like to thank you for filling out a review for us at the Best Western Old Colony Inn. We like to hear from our guest and know they had a good time while here. I hope your grandson enjoyed visiting Washington DC. Come back and see us again.

Reviewed July 10, 2013

I can forgive anything as long as the bed is comfortable. Not only was the bed amazing, there was nothing to forgive! The staff was very pleasant and helpful. The rooms were quiet. Free breakfast that was so much more the coffee and bagels! Free shuttle bus to catch the metro into DC. Walking distance to restaurants and shopping. Did I say the bed was comfortable. My 8 y/o nephew even hugged the bed and said "I'm going to miss you" when we left! Very clean, affordable.

Room Tip: Second floor, over the garage. No noise at all!
1  Thank rcmann54
Reviewed July 8, 2013

This hotel is in a great location. It is walking distance to all of the shops, restaurants and the waterfront. However, if you do not want to walk, the hotel offers a free shuttle to anyplace within a 3-mile radius of the hotel.

The hotel building appears to be very old, but well maintained. The staff at the front desk were very friendly. There was only one staff member that had a hard time answering any of our questions about the local area. I was a bit surprised that she was not more knowledgeable, but it was ok. It did not ruin our trip.

The rooms were clean and the beds were comfortable. We did have a bit of a problem with the remote control to the tv, Even after getting new batteries from the front desk, it only worked part of the time we were there.

We plan to return to Alexandria sometime in March and will probably stay here again. Although there are fancier hotels in the area, I just love the location of this one, and the rate is very reasonable.

Room Tip: The hotel does not have an elevator, so if you have mobility issues, please request a room on the fi...
Reviewed July 4, 2013

I stayed at the Old Colony Inn while attending a conference at a nearby hotel, The price was much lower than the other hotels in the area and I also got free parking and free breakfast. The breakfast included waffles fruit, biscuits cereal and a number of other items. Most of the other hotels in the immediate area charge a lot for parking

The hotel is in an upscale residential neighborhood with nearby shops and restaurants. I was able to take brick walkways most of the way from my hotel to the conference hotel. There is an attractive riverwalk nearby.

The bed was quite comfortable. The room did not have a refrigerator or microwave, but there is a microwave available off the hotel lobby.

The staff at the hotel made extra efforts to help out in a variety of ways.

If I am in the area again I would definitely choose this hotel.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank divermom3
Reviewed June 29, 2013

We spent 4 nights here while enjoying the attractions in the Washington, DC area. I am so glad I selected this hotel. Although it is older it is still a good value for your money. It is close to the Metro and the hotel shuttle was very handy. This area of old town Alexandria is very nice and quaint. We could walk a couple of blocks to a couple of very good restaurants.The hotel staff was very friendly and helpful. The facility is clean. The rooms were spacious and clean. The comlimentary breakfast was decent.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple