Old Colony Inn Alexandria
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Pool
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
All reviewsmetro stationfree shuttleold townshuttle serviceking streetroom was cleandvd playeryogurtfirst flooran older hotelhotel shuttlefree breakfastdc areapleasant stayreagan airportfew blocksair conditioner
FilterAll languages
Reviewed July 17, 2012

Good stay, nice location, friendly front desk, well-maintained, satisfied

Room Tip: reasonable room / bath room for price, good location.
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed July 15, 2012

Great breakfast. Clean and quiet rooms. No parking fee. Friendly staff. Free snack room. Just a great overall experience.

No elevators, so getting to the second floor might be a problem for some.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 12, 2012

The location good. Good acess to metro (shuttle) fair resturants -king Street But the rooms were on the wornside. Windows covering had holes bad our room had only wired interent so we could not our Ipad to show tv programs so had to our computer to tv remotely. The room appeared clean but we found bugs! I hope we didn't bring them home. Fair breakfast filling

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed July 9, 2012

We were looking to stay somewhere in the Old Town Alexandria area. So we picked the Best Western. We were able to get an AAA price of $95. I figured if you stay on King street (where all the action is), you would spend $150 to $250 a night plus paying for parking plus get a pool. For $95 a night you also get free parking (no pool) but you are only minutes away from the action and parking in Old Town was $4 to 8 a day. I would prefer spending more money on food. The free shuttle worked out great also.

The staff was really nice. There was some odd stains on the comfort cover. They gave an extra sheet for the night to cover it and then they fixed it the next day. There is a room with free sodas, waters and other drinks plus popcorn, chips and snack bars. I was disappointed when it was not supplied but I later saw guests taking so many items that I could only guess they were stocking up for the whole summer.

The place is a bit old and beat up but all in all was a good value.

Room Tip: Better to have the top floor and away from the snack room.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 9, 2012

I stayed here for a couple of nights in 2011 and gave it a positive review then. So when I needed a place to stay for one night last month, I naturally gave them a call. The BW website indicated that there were no rooms available, but when I called the hotel directly, the wonderfully helpful Suzanne found that there was one room left for the night I needed. Success! And that was just the beginning of the same thing I experienced the last time I stayed here--namely, a wonderful staff who acted as if their sole purpose was to be helpful to guests.

Sure, the hotel itself is a little faded in some ways. The bath mat was a bit stained and probably should have been replaced. The carpets have seen better days. If you wanted to examine closely, you'd find that the physical facility is maybe not in its glory. But if I had to choose between a slightly frayed hotel with an excellent staff, and a five-star hotel with an indifferent staff, I'd chose staff over luxury every time. I had encounters with at least 5 staff members during my stay, and every one of them was helpful and friendly, from the various people at the front desk, to the housekeeping staff, to the driver of the shuttle to and from the metro station. The breakfast is not gourmet fare, but it is fine and included in the cost of the room. And the snack pantry takes care of those small attacks of the nibbles that occur so often while traveling.

So thanks again to a first-rate staff, and congratulations to whoever is hiring these people. You could teach a few luxury hotels a thing or two!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo