“Very accommodating”

Ranked #20 of 54 Hotels in Alexandria
Columbia, South Carolina
“Very accommodating”
Reviewed May 5, 2011

After agonizing several months about where to stay for my upcoming trip to DC (this will be my first solo trip), I finally selected Best Western Old Colony Inn. My decision was based on several things: reviews, price, free shuttle to the metro, and of course, the free snack bar. Does it get any cooler than that?!
My trip doesn’t take place until July, however I wanted to share my first (and only experience thus far) with the Old Colony Inn. Check-in isn’t until 3pm, however my plane will arrive around 9:30am. I was concerned that I would be left roaming around Old Town with luggage in hand for several hours, so I called the hotel and asked if I could store my luggage until it was time for check-in. They not only agreed to store my luggage but also said that I could check in early if my room was ready. I could have kissed them.
I’ll let everyone know of my actual experience after my trip in July.

Stayed May 2011, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
Palmyra, Virginia
Reviewed April 21, 2011

We used the Old Colony Inn as family headquarters for a wedding in Alexandria. The location near Historic Christ Church was perfect. Every member of the hotel staff became involved in making the wedding a great success--the front desk, housekeeping, breakfast staff, houseman, all provided great service. The manager and sales staff were particular attentive to our needs in the weeks before the wedding as well as during our stay.

With its above average hot breakfast, unlimited 24-hour snack bar, and free parking, the Old Colony Inn is a super value.

I would classify this as a small boutique hotel with a staff focused on fantastic customer service.

Room Tip: Handicapped accessibility is limited.
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
salinas,ca
Reviewed April 18, 2011

I was traveling across country with my son who is in the Coast Guard. We wanted to stay in Alexandria as he was being transferred to Washington and he thought he might want to live in Alexandria. When we first got there the person at the front desk was talking schedules with a couple of the hotel maids. They all turned around and looked at us and then turned away....no one even acknowledged us even though we were the only ones in the hotel lobby. When she was finished she asked curtly if she could help us and we told her we had a reservation for 4 nights. It went from bad to worse at that time. She would not accept the credit card that I had been using from California all the way to Virginia because it had my husband's name on it and he wasn't with us. No one else clear across the U.S. had a problem. I fortunately had another credit card with my name on it that she accepted. The room was very expensive and they had no elevators, no bellmen to help with huge luggage and the room was very dirty. The bathroom looked like it was out of a service station....we ended up cancelling the rest or our reservation and staying someplace else.

• Stayed July 2010
1 Thank Walter G
bwoldcolony, General Manager at Old Colony Inn Alexandria, responded to this review, April 21, 2011
First I would like to apologize about the service you have received during your stay; we want every guest to experience the best customer service possible and to always be appreciated by our staff. I am sorry this was not made right for you at the time of your stay. There has been a change in management since July 2010 and we thrive to create a memorable travel experience for all of our guests at anytime. Whether you went through a disappointing stay in the past or during a recent time, I can assure you that I go over every guest comment and review with all of the staff here so we can improve and correct mistakes. We hope you give us another chance to create the remembrance that you deserve and let us make your encounter here with us a great one! As for the elevator, we are an older two story hotel in historic Old Town Alexandria and elevators were not a necessity when the hotel was built. We do try to assist with luggage whenever help is needed and I apologize for the inconvenience. In dealing with credit cards it is the policy of the credit card companies and our policy as well that the name on the credit card must match the identification of the person trying to use the credit card, this done for the guest’s personal security and to protect the card holder.

Shaunna Grace
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Reviewed April 9, 2011

I spent a lot of time researching hotels and the Best Western Old Colony Inn had great reviews. I booked a non-smoking double room directly on their site and opted for the pay-in-advance rate. At the time of booking, they had a cheaper special for a room w/a king size bed, but that did not suit our needs since we were traveling as a family.

When we arrived for our three night stay, we were told our room had a king size bed. When I told the desk clerk I had pre-paid for a non-smoking double room, and we were a family of three, she replied they didn't have any non-smoking double rooms, but we could have a smoking room w/two beds. Since I have asthma, this wasn't an option. She could not explain to me how a pre-paid room was given away. She then told me she would send a cot to the room at no charge. The cot was a joke. It sagged so much in the middle, my son couldn't lay flat. When I asked to speak to a manager, I was told she had left for the day and would be in sometime tomorrow, but she wouldn't tell me when. When we returned to the hotel after dinner, there was a different desk clerk. I explained the situation and asked her if there was a room and when the manager would be in. Again, no idea when the manager would be in, and she acted like they were doing us a favor by not charging us extra for the cot. We had paid more money for a double room than the king would have cost us (since they had a "manager's special" on the king rooms).

After a night of poor sleep, I stopped at the front desk to again ask for the room I had paid for (at the higher rate than the king room they put us in). This time there was yet another new clerk who did manage to find a room for us, by moving someone who was arriving that day. When we returned that afternoon, we did in fact have the non-smoking double room we had paid for in advance.

I know we were not the only people unhappy w/the hotel. Our first morning, we heard a family complaining at the front desk because they had reserved a cot, but arrived the night before to be told they were all in use. I guess we had their's....

As for the rooms: Our king room was on the first floor. The mattress was newer and comfortable. The room was not very clean. You could see a good two inches of dust on the floor by the walls. It was obvious the room hadn't been thoroughly vacuumed in some time. The bathroom floor had hair behind the door and there were two hairs on the shower walls.

Our second room, on the second floor, was cleaner, but the mattresses were quite old and not comfortable. They didn't have any type of padding on the mattress, and there was no mattress pad - just a thin layer of felt-like material that was placed on top of the mattress, but it didn't even reach the edges of the mattress, which made it even more uncomfortable when it bunched up under the sheet. The mattresses sagged quite a bit. Both rooms were quiet as far as outside noise, but we could hear people returning to their rooms on the first floor the first night.

While the hotel had wired internet, the connection was very spotty.

Food: All three of our breakfasts consisted of basically the same food: biscuits and gravy (looked far too disgusting to try), scrambled eggs, bacon or sausage, and potatoes. The food was only lukewarm and tasted terrible. I was surprised that even the potatoes were bad. We stuck to the yogurt and cold cereal.

I was really looking forward to the snack room, but it was often unstocked. Only once did the freezer have any ice cream bars. The fridge was never without some type of beverage, but it wasn't usually fully stocked. It was a nice touch, but I found myself missing having a restaurant onsite or within walking distance.

The shuttle leaves the hotel on the half hour and will run you to the metro station and National airport. The morning shuttles could fill up, so people who weren't in line early enough had to wait 30 mins for the next departure. Twice, when we called for pick ups from the metro station, we had to wait for over 30 mins because the driver was getting ready to take someone to the airport. Note: these were not the half hour departures.

You do not want to walk anywhere from this hotel. It sits right on the edge of a fringe area and we did see a few drunks staggering around on the side walks. We parked our car right in front and didn't have any problems with it.

Room Tip: book somewhere else
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank travelingmom00
bwoldcolony, General Manager at Old Colony Inn Alexandria, responded to this review, April 12, 2011
I appreciate you taking the time to write your review on our hotel. As I said during our conversation I am so sorry about the issues you experienced, it was inexcusable. I know there is nothing that can make up for the frustrations you experienced, but I am glad we could help make it right for you. We take every guest comment and review very serious, when they are good we try to see what can be done to make the guest experience even better. But when mistakes happen we do everything we can to make sure it never happens again. It truly is our goal that every guest has not a good experience but a great one; a stay so great that when they get home to tell people about there trip they can say that staying at the Best Western Old Colony Inn made it even better.

Shaunna Grace
Stamping Ground, Kentucky
Reviewed April 1, 2011

Perfect location - walk to the metro or old downtown eateries/attractions. Breakfast and snacks are provided. Room is quiet enough and service is cordial and helpful. I will stay again - certainly can't see Washington in one visit!

Room Tip: Great price break witha 3-night stay; around $80!
  • Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Longwood, Florida
Reviewed March 24, 2011

We had such a wonderful experience while staying at the Old Colony Inn. The staff is very friendly and helpful. The shuttle drivers were prompt and really friendly to and from the Metro station. I just wished that the shuttle ran later than 9 p.m. as we would have like to have seen D.C. at night. Coming back to our room at the end of a long day of sight seeing in D.C. was always a pleasure. The room always was fresh and clean and never had to ask for new towels, they were always provided. We all enjoyed the free snack bar, a really fabulous concept. At the end of the day we would hit the snack room for ice cream sandwiches, popcorn, and soda, then back to the room to watch a movie. Before we would head to D.C. in the morning, we would stop by the snack room, pack up a few waters and trail mix in our backpack to use later in the day. The free continental breakfast was delicious, we especially loved the breakfast burritos! We are already planning our next trip to D.C. and the Old Colony Inn will most definitely be our home away from home. If you're looking for great value for your dollar; look no more & book a room now!
The Landis Family
Orlando, Florida

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
Baraboo, Wisconsin
Reviewed February 28, 2011

One of my favorite things about traveling is meeting the people working at the hotel. There was one woman at the desk in particular who went out of her way to give my mother and I directions and a warm welcome.

I appreciated the fact that the windows opened in the rooms and didn't have screens. It was nice to feel as though I wasn't trapped...The room was clean and the hotel itself had a wonderful feeling to it...It wasn't particularly "modern" in decor but I felt more comfortable in the brick building...It "matched" all the historical landmarks we were there to visit.

The pantry that was open was also very nice. We were in town for the 8/28 Rally and everyone in the hotel seemed to be there for the same thing...it was a nice area for us to meet the other people visiting and staying at the hotel.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family