“Only if you're desperate....” 2 of 5 stars

Bragg Towers
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   99 S. Bragg St, Alexandria, VA 22312   |
Ranked #46 of 52 Hotels in Alexandria
Alexandria, VA
“Only if you're desperate....”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2012

Booked this place for one night via Priceline out of sheer desperation (toddler + power outage + 105 degree weather = desperation). I think we paid $60 (including tax).

Pros: For us, it located close to our home (and close to 395N), cheap, free parking, cold A/C and has a mini-kitchen (which, we didn't make use of but it was nice to have as an option).

Cons: Check-in (very slow -- no sense of urgency whatsoever) and pretty much everything else.

Our first floor room was clean (ish) and came with a queen size bed and a pull out couch. I wouldn't stay here again - this is definitely a 1* star, "only-if-you-absolutely-have-to" or are on a very limited budget type of room. The tub was dingy, the carpets reeked and the room (in general) was pretty gross looking.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank Kjbzmommy

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Augusta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2012

We stayed 3 nights on the 2nd floor with no problems at all. The hotel reminds me of some of the places in New Orleans that I've stayed. Wifi only works in public areas(the lobby). We requested no maid service, reused our towels and brought extra pillows and blankets from home, were overall very comfortable there. The a/c was good. Fridge, microwave, stove and garbage disposal worked fine. The water heated amazingly fast, and I've never seen so many plug ins in a room. The smell in the hallway seemed to me to be spices that I'm not used to from residence cooking. There is an international market very close to the hotel. Absolutely plan to visit there if you have time. It's about 7 miles to the Franconia-Springfield metro station. We parked there every day for $4.50 and took the train into DC.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Lynn R
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2012 via mobile

The trip from the exterior to your room is a terrible experience from the buzzing in through a door for the receptionist sitting behind plexiglas to the original elevators without light up buttons. Once you have made it here, the worst is not over, the halls are stained completely over and the smell is almost unbearable. Once you struggle through the thick air, a little relief is given in the room where it is bearable but by no means nice. The thin walls are a nice touch that add in the screaming neighbors on and off throughout the night.

• Stayed May 2012
5 Thank Whompuscat
Woodbridge, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2012

Stayed there for a few days a few weeks ago. The one big con was the smell. It wrapped around you like a blanket. It smelled like mold and it was in the hallways and in my room. After awhile I got used to it but everytime I would go outside, it hit me again when I came in. It was really that bad. If you're sensitive to smells be forewarned this is not the place for you.
Other than that, it wasn't the Ritz, but liveable. The furniture was new looking and the bed ok comfy. Everything worked the way it should, tv, toilet, heat and a/c, etc. The room was large for one person, and the staff was more businesslike behind their bulletproof wall rather than friendly. I saw one bug, it looked like a tick but I'm not sure, in my bed. The comforter had white stains on it and the towels had tiny orange stains on it and were rough.
There is a plaza and a mall nearby, as well as some restaurants. I recommend to only go there by car, as there is a very sketchy neighborhood on the way to them full of gangster looking thugs that catcall to you if you're walking alone. In fact, I wouldn't recommend staying there alone at all. A big pro was the price, I looked around and I couldn't find any cheaper.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank pledez
Marietta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2011

Bragg Towers was a small but comfortable place to stay. Could have been bigger had I chose a one bedroom instead of the studio. I had no idea how small the studio was. It was ok but a little tight for two people. Next time I will definetly spring for the one bedroom. Building is a little old but overall was pleased with my stay.

Room Tip: Unless your alone DO NOT get the studio room because they are SMALL!!!
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Detroit, Michigan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2011

We needed a place for 7 people to stay during the Rally to Restore Sanity. Basically, all we were looking for was a roof and a bathroom, and a hotel in which we could sneak several people into one room. Even with those standards, this place was pretty squalid. The "lobby" is really just a tiny entry way that requires the front desk to buzz you in, which is unsettling. It really feels like you're entering an apartment building in a really bad area. The wireless internet didn't work at all, and the building does have a smoky odor. The room didn't feel dirty, but was so dated and worn that no amount of cleaning would have made it feel good.
That being said, it was super cheap, and the lady at the front desk was quite perky. She sells cans of pop out of a mini-fridge she's got back behind the desk somewhere (I discovered this upon inquiring about vending machines.)
Since there's only one entryway that's tightly guarded, I don't recommend this place if you're looking to sneak in more people than you're allowed. We managed, but not without some nervous moments and suspicious glares from the front desk. It worked out fine for us as a place to crash and have a few drinks before setting out. Otherwise, it's a dump that I'd never bring a family to.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
3 Thank Ryan M
Brooklyn, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2010

We booked 4 rooms with 2 beds each (8 beds) when we got there they only had 4 beds. we couldnt find any other hotel with beds that time of night. one of the rooms was not made after the last guests. still had the dirty sheets and used condoms on the floor . Stay away.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business