“Average Hampton, good service and GREAT Shuttle Service”

Hampton Inn & Suites Alexandria Old Town Area South
Ranked #11 of 54 Hotels in Alexandria
Wrightsville Beach, North Carolina
“Average Hampton, good service and GREAT Shuttle Service”
Reviewed March 19, 2010

I stayed at this hotel on St. Patricks day 2010. 20$ cab ride from DCA. Check in was quick and polite. I stayed on what my colleague who has stayed there before in the "old wing". The room was still satisfactory, however you will be dealing with a wall mounted AC/heat, old CRT tv instead of a flat panel, and older carpet, etc.

I slept well as everything was comfortable. Breakfast was actually very decent for Hampton Inn's....and I saw the lady placing fresh Krispy Kreme doughnuts out. I had to get one.

Most important for me, especially with the hotel not being in walking distance to any restaurant or shops, was the free shuttle. They were great as far as hotel shuttles go. I had little to know wait time. On a busy St. Patty's day they were easily available to drop us off and pick us up from hotel to restaurant, etc. This was something that I'm not used to enjoying from a Hampton.

I would stay there again due to the shuttle, although I may try the Hampton on King street to see how it fares with location.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (133)
  • Turkish first
Cleveland
Reviewed October 15, 2009

A little out of the way, well priced for the area. This is a typical Hampton, a little worn out, a little out of style, but was quiet, clean and the staff was absolutely wonderful. Ms. Fitzpatrick was a great source of local information.

The best feature was the shuttle to the Metro station and to the restaurants of Old Town Alexandria. We went to dine and to see the sights of DC, and never had to move our car from the hotel lot the whole trip.

This also had perhaps the biggest breakfast area of any hotel in which I've ever stayed.

Basic hotel, staff and convenient shuttle made it a nice stay.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Kaysguy
SF Bay Area
Reviewed October 11, 2009

A great place to stay. Let me name the ways... clean; convenient shuttle (to Metro, Old Town Alexandria, National Airport) never more than 10 minutes away, made it easy to get around without a car; great full breakfast (eggs, sausage, fruit, bagels, muffins, yogurt,...); gym (weight, treadmill, stair climb); take-away snack bag for day trips packed with water, fruit, muffin, breakfast bar; business center with PC workstations, Internet and free printing; wired & wireless Internet in & around hotel; affordable rates; large room (we had suite with two queen size beds and fold-out sofa); courteous, helpful staff ALL, even knew us by name. Thanks Lawana F., Glenn S. and staff for a very pleasant stay.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank ChunkyFish
North Carolina
Reviewed October 7, 2009

This Hampton Inn offered wireless highspeed internet in the guest rooms. Ethernet connection would require a special request. Wireless connection speeds were decent - not comparable to cable high speed internet. It's okay for checking emails and searching the web, but not for watching videos. If you need to VPN to your work's network, expect some latency but my experience was good, reliable connection that allowed me get my work done. The desk had sufficient work space - okay, but could be better, if you plan on working during your stay.

The shuttle service was on demand, 24 hours. I used the shuttle to go to Old Town for dinner, and I was dropped off and picked up at the restauarant of my choice. Pretty amazing for courtesy service!

The rooms were clean, as expected from Hamptons Inn. The bathroom has modern, up-to-date fixtures, well lit, and very clean. There is a vending machine and ice machine on each floor.

Courtesy breakfast was standard fare - cereal, toast, eggs, fresh fruit, coffee.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled solo
3 Thank iaccess
Carrboro, North Carolina
Reviewed October 7, 2009

The rate was $180/night and who cares that it's not really in Old Town...especially since they will shuttle you there whenever you want to go and pick you up as well. I never waited more than 15 minutes for the shuttle driver, including the airport pickup and return. And the metro station is a short 5 minute drive from the hotel. I prefer this location to actually staying in Old Town because the price point is good and having access to the shuttle is the icing on the cake. And I can't say enough about the staff...they certainly seem to enjoy their work and it shows with pleasant personalities, smiles and helpful service. Everything about the actual physical structure is good and as I expected -- clean rooms, free internet service, hearty breakfast, inviting pool and relaxing atmosphere. For my money, there is no better place to stay..

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business
3 Thank slowee08
Greensboro
Reviewed September 14, 2009

I have stayed at many hotels and this is the first time I am compelled to write a review. We were highly impressed. This was a very comfortable, clean, convenient hotel. The rooms were very quiet! They shuttled us to Old Town and the Metro and picked us up when we called them. We were all very impressed!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family
3 Thank Jacks3607
Iowa
Reviewed August 21, 2009

I chose this hotel for my husband and I based on the Trip Advisor comments. We did not have transportation, and this hotel is not next-door to anything, but their free shuttle makes up for it. We used the shuttle every day to go to the Metro Station, to the waterfront and then to the airport when leaving. Desk staff was very accommodating. Shuttle drivers had the best of information.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple