“Could not have been better -- very safe and easy to go anywhere.”

Hampton Inn & Suites Alexandria Old Town Area South
Ranked #11 of 54 Hotels in Alexandria
Reviewed July 24, 2009

I stayed here for almost 2 weeks on a business trip. Since I did not wish to rent a car, the hotel was excellent. The shuttle service is excellent. Many mornings, I would catch the shuttle to the airport and catch the Metro there in order to save a little money. At night, I would call and they would arrive within minutes of my arrival back at Huntinton station. When I was ready to eat, I never had to wait over 15 minutes before they were ready to go (and the suggestions for dinner were amazing). Being a single female in a new city, I was very concerned about safety. Staying at the Hampton Inn, I never worried because the staff was concerned about that (and the overall welfare of each customer as well). Everyone went out of their way to be nice and to help me out.

If you go, please be sure to find the comment cards. I did not know about them until the end, so I was able to only give out a few compliments. I know this sounds "too good to be true", but I honestly had an excellent time and could not be more thankful to everyone there. I would definitely recommend this for anyone (especially if you do not mind utilizing public transportation).

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled on business
3  Thank Lynn082
Write a ReviewReviews (1,169)

Reviewed July 20, 2009

This Hampton Inn is large, served hot breakfast, has a pool and free internet. We stayed here becasue we did not want to drive in DC and this hotel had a suite (2 queens and a pullout) for a couple and 2 teenagers. They offer free and fast shuttles to the Huntington stop on the metro yellow line and also in/out of Alexandria Old Town for shopping and restaurants. I have never had a bad experience in a Hampton but this was the best by far. We never waited more than 10 minutes for a shuttle even when we called for pickup. The suite was large but one room unlike others that have 2 rooms. The Metro ride was 20 minutes from downtown DC. Location was not scenic but easy to find off the highway. Staff was always friendly. No charge for the hotel safe or to user their printers in the secure computer room. WIFI throughout the hotel.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank skipcathy
Reviewed July 8, 2009

I stayed in the Hampton Inn this month for business. Checkin was a breeze and I was upgraded to suite! Room was clean, comfortable with everything I needed. Fitness Center was great and accessible 24/7 which is helpful for those of us very early. Pool was nice and clean. Business center was easily accessible 24/7 also. Buffet breakfast was very crowded, seemed they had a bus of people there! I would choose this again next time I am there for business. Several places to eat along Richmond Highway which was easy to navigate. They even offered shuttle to Old Towne area.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed June 22, 2009

We have never stayed in a hotel that was kept so spotlessly clean as this Hampton Inn. The free breakfast was good and the shuttle drivers were all wonderful.
There is some road construction from the airport to the hotel, but to tell the truth ,the delays were well worth it.
My husband was a little worried that it would be noisy as we were given a room on the pool side of the building, but you couldn't hear a sound, either from the pool area, or Richmond Highway.

Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 31, 2009

We stayed here for a long Spring Break weekend. The location is okay, right off of the interstate, but there was road construction going on right outside of the hotel, which made getting to the property a little rough. However, once there, it was nice. A few reasons why we chose this hotel: we're a family of six and it's a little difficult to find one large room to accommodate all of us at a reasonable price. We found that here. Additionally, the parking is free, and access to D.C. is easy either by car or by metro (nearest station is Huntington, about a half mile away).
We have a disabled son, so we reserved an accessible suite. We are also members of Hilton Honors, and our preference stored in our profile is a low floor near the elevator--and that's exactly what we got--second floor, right next to the elevator. Despite that, we never heard people in the hallways. However, the view was of the rooftop! Oh well, we didn't ask for a view. The room was large and clean and the beds were wonderful! The breakfast buffet was good, but seating can be limited. Coffee and tea are available around the clock in the breakfast area.
The hotel is pretty conveniently located. Down the road, there are several restaurants--Denny's, McDonald's, Chuck E. Cheese, among others. There are also stores nearby, like Wal-Mart, Target, Walgreen's. In the other direction (about a five minute drive) is Old Town Alexandria. Like I said before, convenient, but the only problem was the road construction.
Overall, we were happy with our stay here and would recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank 808Mom
Reviewed May 14, 2009

This is the second time we have stayed in the Hampton Inn on Richmond Highway near Old Town Alexandria and were very pleased. We were greeted with an enthusiastic hello by the wonderful front desk staff who remembered us from last year (its kind of hard to forget identical twins). Our room was immaculate with plenty of extra towels.

The complimentary breakfast is better than a lot of other hotels. It is always nice to start the day with a hot meal, whether it is the scrambled eggs with cheese or waffles, bagels, cereals, fresh fruit, yogurt, toast, donuts, and if you are in a rush, there's a bag to grab with muffins, a piece of fruit and an energy bar at the front desk. There are also fresh baked cookies at the front desk every afternoon.

There is a free shuttle service to take you to Old Town, or the airport, or just about anyplace you need to go within the area.

Look no further, try this hotel.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed May 1, 2009

As luck would have it, I found myself flying into DC (which I was not at all familiar with) and having to book a room, last minute. Everything decent Alexandria was sold out, except one room at the Hampton Inn! How lucky and blessed I was to find this amazing hotel with an absolutely amazing staff!

I cannot say enough about how amazing the staff was. From the complimentary 24hr shuttle, that not only takes you from the airport to hotel. It takes you just about everywhere! I had various appointments in Alexandria; the shuttle service mapped it out and took me! Old town and the Metro, no problem, the shuttle will take you! As a woman traveling solo, I felt so safe. The driver is amazing! Probably a stand-up comedian on the side, (if not, Mike, should be!) The entire staff was just so wonderful to me. I never had a hotel experience were the staff made such an amazing impression! The rooms were immaculate, and very large. Even the bathroom was beautiful. Additionally, All the free services, computer, complimentary breakfast, and shuttle service, make this hotel a tremendous value! I highly recommend it! Treat yourself and stay at the Hampton Inn in Alexandria/Old Town South. Many thanks again to the amazing staff, Micki, Mike, Glenn, Katie, and Louanna. Thank you, Thank you, Thank you.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled on business