WINNER WONDERLAND

Review of Hampton Inn & Suites Alexandria Old Town Area South

Hampton Inn & Suites Alexandria Old Town Area South
Ranked #11 of 54 Hotels in Alexandria
Virginia
“Hampton Inn Studio Suites Very Nice”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2008

Stayed here for two days after a bad storm wiped out power and knocked down trees at our home in Northern Virginia. Only 3 rooms were available at the time I booked and I took the last of the king bed new construction suites. Room was great. Nicely appointed, clean, upscale with polished engineered countertops, brushed stainless bath fixtures, refrigerator, microwave, kitchen type sink, pullout sofa, widescreen TV. We were lacking shampoo/conditioner when we checked in, but I went to the front desk and after about a 15 minute wait, they found some for me. They kept saying they'd "bring it to the room" but I preferred to wait at the front desk until some could be located. I was glad I booked when I did, because they ended up being fully booked and having to turn people away at the door. Cost of the room was $205 plus taxes. They supply a nice breakfast in a spacious dining area. Both hot and cold breakfast type foods/beverages. Keep the fan running on the A/C unit to help drown out street noise and hallway disturbances.

• Liked — the newness of the room, cleanliness, flat screen tv
  • Disliked — having to ask for toiletries that should have been supplied (minor issue)
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Polecat45

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (121)
  • Turkish first
Winchester, Virginia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2008

I was very disappointed with this hotel. They are currently under renovation, they are extending the building. The new section looks absolutely beautiful. However, they are letting the current section that is open go down the drain.

The first room I was given was dirty and smelled and there was a baby cockroach in the bathroom. We then moved to another room and things just didn't get any better. There was what appeared to be dried [--] on my headboard, the ceiling was shedding all over my things and the floor, the bathroom was not cleaned properly, the wallpaper was ripped and stained, there was a blood trail with the corpse of a dead bug at the end of it.

Two different times I asked to speak with a manager and conveniently, there was never one available. I have stayed at other Hampton Inn's and know the standards to which they are held. I don't know what happened to this one, but Hampton Inn need to reconsider their license and pull the name. They are giving all other Hampton Inn's a bad name.

Once their renovations are completely done, I may stay there again, but I doubt it.

• Liked — when we checked out and left
  • Disliked — too much to put here
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled with friends
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
HamptonInnandSuites1, Director of Sales at Hampton Inn & Suites Alexandria Old Town Area South, responded to this review, August 26, 2008
Our 57 Studio Suite addition has been completed and looks wonderful. We have newly designed all of the public space and have added additional meeting rooms to service any conference and meeting needs.

The new breakfast area is capable of accommodating up to 77 people at one time and is very welcoming.

Please visit us again to see the new changes and we thank you for staying with us in the past.
Detroit, Michigan
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 14, 2008

We just returned from a 4 night stay in Alexandria. We were in town for a funeral at Arlington. We had a block of rooms and each person called in separately to confirm their reservation. In each of these phone calls (there were approximately 10 rooms) NOT ONCE were any of us informed that the hotel is being renovated.

We had relatives from as far as Germany staying here--most of us without cars, so there was no way to move us all to another hotel. We also had no place to gather, since they demolished the breakfast room and the room to be used in the interm had no heat, so all 20 or so of us ended up crammed in one of the rooms in order to visit.

We awoke each morning around 7:00 am to the sounds of jackhammers and banging as they demolished the 'breakfast room' and tore out walls and tossed the junk into the garbage bin right below our window. The front facade is being demoed as well, so both sides of the hotel are noisey.

While the rooms were clean, the staff has no concept of how to prop a door open while they clean. With the paper thin walls, every few seconds there was a BANG, as they let the door slam shut when they entered or exited the room they were cleaning.

BE WARNED: There is NOTHING you can walk too--not a restaurant, not a drug store, not anything. The bonus of that is that there are no FOOD vending machines in the hotel either. So one night as we arrived late, everything in the area was closed and we couldn't even buy a snack. No one at the desk offered any of the so-called 'cookies' we keep hearing about--

There is a place you can order food from, there is a menu in the room and they will deliver it, but it was 10:00pm and eating a 'meal' that late wasn't a good idea. We also didn't want to have to ride around in the shuttle looking for a place that was open or wasn't fast food.

Complaints resulted in "Come back when the suites are done"...um, don't think so...nice customer service. At $160 a night, you think they could do a little better than that.

Avoid this place..there are better hotels for less money with better locations.

• Liked — Beds were comfortable
  • Disliked — paper thin walls
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled with family
alabama
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2007

First, the good news....the new bed and pillows and bedding were wonderful! Also, staff on the whole helpful and upbeat. When we reported a broken toliet, it was repaired quickly. Now the bad news....it lists it's location as "old town", well, after a 10 minute van ride, it is. Not anyway you could walk there. We also reserved a "Potomac view room"......ha.....the "Potomac" was backwater of maybe 4 foot width. There are NO restaurants anywhere near, so to eat you must wait on a van to take you to old town, then wait on a van to pick you up. When one member of our party got ill, my husband asked if he could be taken to a nearby pharmacy. He was told no, but there was one "about a half mile down the road". He took off walking, and over ONE HOUR later returned....NOT a half mile down the road!!!!I So, if you need a place to stay with great beds, but have no need of nearby restaurants or entertainment, this could be it. But we will not stay at this location again.

• Liked — Bedding, Cleanliness
  • Disliked — Location, location, location
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with friends
1 Thank govandy
Indiana
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2007

We arrived late on 6/12 and we were checked in with no problems. The only problem we had was all the construction going on in this area. It appeared to be rush hour and it took us almost 45 minutes to reach the detour for the hotel. Hotel is what I would call average with this type of hotel. Whenever I've called they seem to get me anything I need. I know the cost was less than some of the other hotels but with all the construction going on, I almost feel they should give a construction rate. Otherwise, staff seemed very willing to help. Shuttle service was okay - we used the Metro and they took us there. Upon our return, I did try calling when we were about 5 minutes away and was told I needed to wait until I actually arrived before they would send a shuttle out - other than that, they were there to pick us up. One thing though - we did have a tour scheduled for 10:00 am in the morning and when we asked if they could take us to the Metro at 8:00 am, was told that it would be better if we went early (7:30 am), since they would be running a shuttle to the airport at 8:00 am. So other than having to go earlier, this has worked out.

• Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank dllbzrose_5
Hartford, Connecticut
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2007

Pros: Managers are hands on and very customer service oriented. Rooms are clean and housekeeping above average. On check in , you get a free bottle of water and a package of Oreos. Everyone appears to be trying hard to do a good job.

Cons: Paper thin walls. Windows don't open up for fresh air.
Breakffast has a lot of items, but most were low end fillers. The bagels were industrial strength. Parking close to the building is difficult as the construction workers take many of the spaces.

Hotel is easy to miss. Call for directions. If you miss a turn with the kind of traffic they have in DC, you will find yourself in North Carolina before you can turn around.

• Liked — Clean and well run
  • Disliked — Paper thin walls
  • Stayed May 2007
1 Thank NewEnglandtravelr
Scotland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2007

Having just recently, April 9th to 20th 2007, visited my cousin in Alexandria I thought I should write a review on the hotel.
The Hampton Inn , 5821 Richmond Highway, is beyond doubt the finest hotel my good lady and I have ever stayed in. Being just average working class Scotsman/woman we are not what could be called globe trotters by any stretch of the imagination but we know good service/quality when we receive it.
The room, bed/bedding were all of the highest quality. The best bit about the bed was that I could lie at one side of the bed and even with an outstretched arm I still could not reach my wife at the other side :)
Seriously folks, the rooms are excellent. Piping hot showers/bath. Plenty of TV (ESPN and many other sports) so last thing at night we would watch CSI/Criminal Minds and be ahead of the U.K. schedules :)
The staff, Luana in particular (Hope I got the name right) made us feel extremely welcome. Always greeting us and asking how our day was, a credit to the Hampton Inn and a wonderfully pleasant lady. Well done Luana.
The breakfast, well up here in Scotland we would say "It could choke a horse" . Help yourself to french toast/ sausage /eggs/ bagals/ scones/ toast/ muffins/ doughnuts/ coffee/ tea / hot chocolate etc. All fresh and very tasty.
In actual fact one day we were going on a trip to Shenandoah (SP) and we asked one of the evening staff if we could pay for breakfast bags for my cousin and her hubbie. The young lassie at the desk simply said, "Just see me in the morning and I will sort that out". So not only were the breakfasts excellent but the staff allowed us to get bags to go for our relatives. Again well done folks.
The cleaning staff for the rooms did a great job also and as such we would like to pay our respects and offer our thanks for their exemplary work.
The shuttle to the Metro or Old town is a wonderful service. Mr . Mike in particular was a laugh a minute and kept us all happy and ensured we got to where we wanted to go on time and with a smile.
We will be going back to Alexandria in the near future and without doubt we WILL stay at the Hampton Inn Richmond Highway and we look forward to doing so again. Might even try Alexandria/DC at Christmas time :) Might even try the pool in December :)

All in all the staff at the Hampton Inn are a credit to your fine country and we thank you all for making our stay in the United States a thoroughly enjoyable and pleasant stay.
Well done all :)

• Liked — The staff, in reality they made a great stay stay even better with their kindness and good manners.
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple