“very convenient location, easy free parking”

Hampton Inn & Suites Alexandria Old Town Area South
Ranked #11 of 54 Hotels in Alexandria
Charlottesville, Virginia
“very convenient location, easy free parking”
Reviewed October 23, 2012

we were there saturday night through sunday morning. despite being within 100 yards of the highway, we had no noise problems. access was very easy. while no full--service restaurant, there was an adequate breakfast (free) and they were very friendly to delivered meals. there were free shuttles although we did not use them. staff were quite friendly. and the price was right.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
MickiHeineken, Director of Sales at Hampton Inn & Suites Alexandria Old Town Area South, responded to this review, January 2, 2013
I am so glad you enjoyed your stay with us. I hope you get to stay longer on your next visit so you can take advantage of the free shuttle service to the Metro and Historic Old Town Alexandria.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (136)
  • Turkish first
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed October 22, 2012

My wife and I stayed here for one night 10-20-12. We could not have been happier with our stay. The room and bathroom were exceptionally clean. The front desk people were very helpful, especially Glen. The shuttle was a great way to get back and forth from the Hotel to Old Town Alexandria. You may have to wait a few minutes, but the convenience factor out weighs any wait time. Will definately stay here next time I am in the area.
Also very close to Mt Vernon. We had a room in the back # 701 very quiet

Room Tip: See if you can get one in the back away from traffic noise
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
I am very happy you enjoyed your stay with is this fall. Please stay with us again on any returning trips - DC is beautiful in the springtime!
Roanoke, Virginia
Reviewed October 20, 2012

My boyfriend and I traveled to Woodbridge, VA a couple of weeks ago for a (fruitless) trip to Ikea. After looking at furniture, selecting furniture, getting and paying for the furniture and then being told that they don't deliver to our hometown of Roanoke, VA, we were feeling annoyed and very tired. We were trying to find a hotel close to DC because we wanted to go eat in downtown DC but we didn't want to pay DC hotel prices, so we started looking in Alexandria. Well, apparently every tour group this side of the Mississippi had decided to travel to the DC area this weekend so we kept getting the "Sorry, no vacancies" shrug at every hotel dotted along the Richmond Highway. That is, until we came across this Hampton Inn. Even though there was a tour bus out front that was stuffed to the gills with people, they had a room w/ two double beds available, so we said "We'll take it!"

We were in Rm 413 at the back of the hotel. I know a couple of others reviews mentioned road noise, but my boyfriend and I didn't hear anything so apparently it makes a difference if you're in a room at the front as opposed to being in the back of the hotel. Guests can also enter the hotel from the back parking lot, but after a certain time you have to use your room key to get in that back door, which I think is a good precaution. The beds were nice and comfortable and the bedding was crisp, except for the bed skirt that I tripped over several times because it was waaaay too long. They need better-fitting bedskirts if possible, at least for that room because I don't know about the other rooms. That's a safety hazard. We had plenty of pillows and an extra blanket in the closet. A cold front was blowing in that weekend and the overnight temperature plummeted to the low 40s but the heater in the room was quiet and kept the room comfortable. The room had plenty of lighting and even a cute chair in the corner w/ ottoman, a microfridge and a large flat screen TV. Overall, it was a nice clean room and wow does that water get super hot quick if you don't watch out lol.

My boyfriend and I have stayed in a Hampton Inn before in Charlottesville and they had the coffee maker in the bathroom and so did this Hampton Inn. I still think that's a strange placement.

Granted, we were only there for one night but it was a restful night's sleep afer driving for five hours then shopping in Ikea, then driving around trying to find a parking space in downtown DC for an hour, then enjoying a nice late night dinner. They have a huge breakfast selection and the sweets closet, neither of which we utilized but it's good to know it's available.

The only reason I don't give this hotel 5 stars is because of that ridiculously long and unsafe bedskirt.

Thank you Hampton Inn for having a vacancy! It's a nice, updated, and clean hotel and next time we're in the area, we'll check you guys out again.

Room Tip: Some reviewers mentioned road noise but road noise is a non-issue if your room is at the back of the...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much for all the nice comments on your stay at our hotel. We strive to make all of our guests happy and comfortable and feedback from our guests helps us in working towards our goals. I will forward your comments to the rest of the staff and please stay with us again when returning to the area.
NJ
Reviewed October 17, 2012 via mobile

Nice hotel as I say above. I like the Hampton Inns overall you know exactly what you are going to get most of the time.

This hotel was no different. I was with my wife and 3year old. The traffic noise at night was really bad especially the emergency service going past with all lights and horns blaring.

This happened at least 3/4 times. Some how the little one slept through it but not yours truly.

So this is the only negative I can say. As I said everything else was standard Hampton Inn.

• Stayed October 2012
1 Thank HGill02
MickiHeineken, Director of Sales at Hampton Inn & Suites Alexandria Old Town Area South, responded to this review, October 26, 2012
I sincerely apologize for the noise issue encountered during your stay. Our guests’ comfort and safety is my number one concern. Your review will assist in correcting issues in the future. Again, I apologize for the inconveniences that you and your family endured. I do hope that the next time you are in the area you will consider staying at our property again. Thank you.
Dover, New Jersey
Reviewed October 13, 2012

Our stay was pleasant other than we didn't sleep for much of the night due to the location of the hotel. I don't think any other location in the building would have been quieter. Unfortunately for the hotel, unless they make their rooms sound proof, the noise of the roads/highways nearby really echo into the room. We were kept awake most of the night by sirens, traffic and other outside road noises.
The staff was very helpful and friendly. Their breakfast area was big.

Room Tip: Maybe ask for a room away from the highway...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank SpartanGirl3
MickiHeineken, Director of Sales at Hampton Inn & Suites Alexandria Old Town Area South, responded to this review, October 17, 2012
I’m sorry we were not able to provide you with a great experience during your recent stay. Your satisfaction is very important to us and we appreciate your feedback about the amount of noise that is audible from outside of the hotel. Your comments will help us to correct these issues. We hope you will consider staying with us the next time you are in the area.
Alexandria, Virginia
Reviewed October 7, 2012

I arrived at about 8 pm to check in because I wanted to have the hotel ready for my boyfriend so when he got off work, he could rest. When I gave them my information, they pulled up my reservation and then asked to see my credit card. I didn't have my credit card, my boyfriend did. And I tried explaining this to the front desk, but they wouldn't let me check in. I don't understand; I had my state ID, as well as my confirmation page that I recieved when I made the reservation. And they already charged my credit card for a full amount of my (one night) stay. They showed no sympathy and the what-I-assumed-to-be manager even raised his voice at me and got smart to the point where I was in tears because I had already had a bad day. I had to wait in the hotel lobby for 3 hours until my boyfriend arrived.
I never write bad reviews because I work in guest services and I understand that a bad experience doesn't always mean a bad business. But in this case, I was really surprised and upset.
When I finally could check in a few hours later, the rooms were big and spacious, the bathroom was clean, the tv was big and clear, and the bed was nice and soft. There were a few stains on the floor and even though I reserved a "golf course view" room, I opened the window to stare at the back parking lot and a lot of trees.... Even though we were on the top floor. The breakfast was typical hampton style (which i always enjoy and it does te job). I always stay at Hamptons and I know what to expect but my check in was the worst I've ever experienced.
I will continue to stay at Hamptons around the country, but NEVER again at this particular one.
If I was asked for a recommendation, I'd say "That one was good, but just travel down the highway a little more to go to the Hampton Mt. Vernon."

• Stayed October 2012
MickiHeineken, Director of Sales at Hampton Inn & Suites Alexandria Old Town Area South, responded to this review, October 8, 2012
I would like to thank you for selecting our Hampton Inn for your recent visit. I am sorry for the check in issue that you experienced and I am looking into the situation you reported. If the reservation was under your boyfriend's name, we cannot check someone into another reservation without prior approval from the reservation holder for security reasons.

I am glad you found the amenities of the hotel to your liking and we do try to please all of our guests. Please give us another opportunity to make you happy when you find the need to stay in a hotel in the Alexandria area.
Warminster
Reviewed October 6, 2012

I travel to the Alexandria area quite a bit for work. Lately I've been staying at the Hampton just off of the Woodrow Wilson Bridge. As a runner I always look for places that are convenient to trails/roads. This hotel offers some great options. You can cross the foot bridge to Olde Town and run south towards Mount Vernon. Go under the WW Bridge and the trail takes you all the way along the river to DC. You can cross the bridge to run National Harbor area. The hotel is clean and staff is very nice. I do suggest getting a room on the back of the hotel if road noise bothers you.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for the nice comments regarding your stays at our hotel. I agree, the running options a very good here and I will pass along the comments to our staff. I hope you also like the new lobby we recently finished renovating. I think it turned out fantastic. See you on your next trip.