“You never have to drive your car!”

Hampton Inn & Suites Alexandria Old Town Area South
Ranked #10 of 53 Hotels in Alexandria
“You never have to drive your car!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2011

I'm so glad I did my research and found this hotel. Once we arrived, we never had to touch our cars until we unfortunately had to leave. The 24hr shuttle(not found at any other hotels in the area) brought us to downtown Alexandria and the Metro, which were so easy to get. Call down a few mins before you want to leave, and when you get downstairs, it's ready for you!
The pool was open late, and they were not opposed to us drinking beers or eating food next to it. They even provided towels for us (which was awesome because we totally forgot to pack them.)
The breakfast was awesome. Eggs, omelettes, tater tots, pancakes, waffles, cereal, toast, bagels. We totally pigged out every morning, and made sure to get a grab bag when we were on our way out to DC.
Everyone who worked there was very accommodating, always smiling, and sweet.
Would return here again in a heartbeat. Don't even waste your time searching for something better. Book here, especially if you have a AAA card!

• Stayed July 2011
MickiHeineken, Director of Sales at Hampton Inn & Suites Alexandria Old Town Area South, responded to this review, July 21, 2011
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review. We greatly appreciate the feeback and will pass your comments along to the entire staff. Please find us and "Like" us on Facebook to get "Friends" only deals. I hope you will visit with us again soon and we Love Our AAA Travelers!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
  • Turkish first
Columbus, Indiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2011

We stayed for six nights with our adult children and grandchildren (8 and 11). The staff was attentive to our needs and our rooms were quite nice. The breakfast that was included with the room had enough variety to satisfy all seven of us! The ladies who worked the breakfast kept the food filled and hot. It was attractive and tasty. We figured we saved about $60-70 per day by eating at the hotel. The longest we ever had to wait for the shuttle to the Metro was about 10 minutes. The drivers were all pleasant and full of information for us. They not only took us to the Metro, but also to the dining/shopping areas on King Street. I definitely would stay there again and would recommend it to friends. Our grandkids enjoyed the pool, too.

Room Tip: I booked the reservation online.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review. We greatly appreciate the feeback and will pass your comments along to the entire staff. I agree with your comments about the cost savings for the breakfast. It can add up quickly. Please find us and "Like" us on Facebook to get "Friends" only deals. I hope you will visit with us again soon.
Dover, Delaware
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2011

This was a good value hotel consider we stayed there for New Years Eve. There were a lot of guests checking in but front desk was nice. The only thing was they gave us a room which was not ready. I had to go downstairs and change to another room. With a 18 month old, it is not easy.

Has a microwave and a minifridge in the room. And a crib was provided. Room was clean but had a muggy smell. I found that the carpet near the breakfast area elevator was dirty. Breakfast was ok but the staff should not mix grapefruit in the fruit salad. The grapefruit juice was so bitter that it ruined the whole salad.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review. We greatly appreciate the feeback and will pass your comments along to the entire staff. I understand about having a toddler and trying to handle them along with luggage. I am sorry for the inconvenience of having to travel back to the desk. We will work on making sure this does not happen again. Please find us and "Like" us on Facebook to get "Friends" only deals. I hope you will visit with us again soon.
woodbridge, new jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2011

the staff made me feel welcome, was very helpful.
the hotel was spotless. the housekeeping staff was also very attentative. front desk personnel were very knowledgeable about things to do in area. breakfast area was well taken care of, nice and clean food was nice and fresh.
would recommend this hotel to all who ask. plan on staying there again.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank damarisramirez07
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review. We greatly appreciate the feeback and will pass your comments along to the entire staff. We appreciate our regular travelers and know how hard it is for you to be away from home and want to make your visits with us as enjoyable as possible. Please find us and "Like" us on Facebook to get "Friends" only deals. I hope you will visit with us again soon.
Brisbane Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 18, 2011

We stayed here for 4 nights and were happy with the room (apart from a shower curtain which didn't run the whole length and water went all over the bathroom floor) and the breakfast. There is also all day tea and coffee and cookies in the afternoon. The hotel lacked service. There appeared to be no genuine concern about our enquiries or requests. We headed out on a Sunday and I enquired about the Metro costs etc. but was never told that there were reduced rates on a Sunday, so we paid full fare and found out about it later. A small point, but one which could be very helpful to a stranger in town. The shuttle service was poor. We waited to be collected from the Metro station and when it arrived it couldn't take the amount of passengers there (and they knew in advance how many were waiting), so we had to wait for the shuttle to take the first lot of people and then return for us. Another morning, we requested a shuttle at 7am, to be told it was out and would be back soon. After 15 minutes, the driver came out of the hotel and got into the shuttle that had been parked outside all this time and then took us!! And again, coming home from Old Town one night, we waited over 1/2 hour and 2 phone calls to the hotel before we were collected. Apparently the driver collected some other people and forgot about us! All in all, the time we wasted waiting around made for an unhappy experience. For the money paid, we expected better.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
MickiHeineken, Director of Sales at Hampton Inn & Suites Alexandria Old Town Area South, responded to this review, June 6, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on our property. We strive to offer the best service to all of our customers and when we do not live up to those standards, we want to know about it so we can make corrective measures. I will pass along your statements to the staff to enhance our training tools. Please consider staying with us again when you return to the Alexandria, Viriginia area.
Dillon, Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 16, 2011

Just back from 5 nights at the Hampton Inn. May 10-15
Rooms where great and very clean. Beds where also great and the staff super. And morning breakfest was good enough to get me through the day.

That being said I did not realize how far from D.C. this hotel was. I was in town to play tourist.. Yes the free shuttle to the metro is nice. To walk there it's about 15 minutes. So it's nice that they drive you. I really never had a long wait going or being pick up. (I would call just before the last stop on the metro coming back)
The ride to D.C. on the metro was about 25 minutes. If i knew that I would have found something a little closer to D.C. but I did get a good deal for the hotel.(By the time I got back to the hotel I was so tired after sight seeing all I wanted to do was go to bed).
3 of my nights I would get dinner in D.C. before heading back.
Not much around the hotel to do at night unless you take the free shuttle to Old Town Alexandria for dinner. Do not try to walk there it is long. but when you get there you will find a lot of great Resturants for lunch or dinner. The shuttle ride is less then 5 min. And again I never had a long wait. I found the shuttle drivers to be very nice and had lots of information about where to eat IF you ask them.

So all and all, I did enjoy my stay. The staff at the hotel made my stay enjoyable for me.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank Johnlcruise
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your recent stay at our hotel. I am glad you took advantage of Historic Old Town Alexandria. It is a charming city and the restaurants are fabulous.

I will pass your comments along to the staff. It is important to let them know when they are doing things right and to keep up the good work. Please visit us again when you are in the Washington, DC/Alexandria, VA area.
Houston, TX
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2011

The hotel was clean and there was free breakfast. The hotel isn't near anything so you have to take the shuttle service. Shuttle service was okay, though not great. Sometimes when we called we didn't get a warm fuzzy that the message for a pickup was actually being relayed. There were a few instances where we called multiple times for the shuttle service because the delay was more than expected. Also, a young family was almost kicked off of the shuttle because "the manager had just decided that no children under the age of 2 could ride in the van". The family argued that the infant they were traveling with was safely in an infant seat which was secured inside the van. The shutttle did ultimately take them to their destination. With a few exceptions, the front desk staff seemed unenthusiastic, at best. I would recommend getting a hotel closer to the metro if prices are reasonable.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple