WINNER WONDERLAND

Review of Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Historic District Alexandria

Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Historic District Alexandria
Ranked #27 of 54 Hotels in Alexandria
Canada
“Great... useful location, great staff”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2009

Had a great room for two night. It was very big and welcome after our flight from the UK. Don't get confused with the other Holiday Inn in Alexandria, like our cab driver did...He dropped up off at the other one and left when we went to check in we realised we were at the wrong one...well the front desk staff couldn't have been nicer - the guy there got the hotel bus, loaded our luggage and drove us the First Street - fantastic service.
We had to ask for a fridge in our room, which was delivered quickly and was a god send with a small baby we had to keep her food supplies chilled.
Alexandria is a great town too. Just wish we had a bit more time to explore the great restaurants.
Overall, a great stay. Great location to get transport to DC. Would stay there again no question

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2009

The hotel is located across the street from the Metro. I was easy to navigate the system and very economical. Located approximately 30 min. from DC. The hotel was clean, the rooms are spacious, and the staff was friendly and helpful. The Breakfast was very good. We chose the buffet, which I usually don't like, this was so good. The food was hot and fresh. A great variety. It was a little expensive $17 but very convenient .

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Southeast Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2009

I recently stayed here from September 8-10, 2009 while on business in Washington. I was surprised at how close to Washington this hotel is. I only had a 5-10 minute drive into the city, depending on traffic. The hotel was very clean and the staff was great. The parking was $20 per day, which is the going rate around Washington for parking. My room was very spacious and I had a great flat panel television. The only thing I didn't like about the hotel was the wireless internet service. I was on the 2nd floor and I could not get a good signal at all, so I was unable to use the internet from my room. The pool and workout facility was very nice. The pool is on the second floor and half of it is inside and the other half is outside. The pool is not heated so if you want a heated indoor pool, this is not a good idea. They do have a hot tub, but it was out of service and being cleaned. Overall, I would stay at this hotel again. I got a great rate and my stay was very enjoyable.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business
Lawrenceville,GA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2009

The price was very good. the room was very clean. the carpet was average. did not feel good on bare feet. the bedding was soft and the pillows were very good. not a lot of cable tv channels. the shuttle at night was inconsistent. had to take a cab from reagan twice 13.00 plus tip. would stay again.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank IUP89
NYC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2009

I have stayed here one weekend a month for the last 18 months. The staff is exceptionally friendly and welcoming. We have never had to wait for anything and are always greeted by name and with enthusiasm.
We are smokers so we always have a room on the 1st floor that has been very well cleaned. The location can't be beat and now that they have opened a coffee bar on the ground floor everything is perfect for us. The beds are comfortable, the tv works and nobody bothers us and the water pressure in the shower is tremendous. We have stayed so many times that we are platinum priority club members and that is a great membership loyalty program.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Central Coast California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2009

I prefer to provide the facts first then my review so fellow travelers can make an educated decision. I hope my review helps in your decision.

DATE: 30 July 2009
COST: $65 USD discount booking (The normal rate might be $160 USD +)
BOOKING: Hotwire.
INCLUDED AMMENITIES ADVERTISED: Free Internet, non-smoking.
FALSE PROMISES: None. Everything advertised was supplied.
STAFF: Excellent. Friendly.
NEIGHBORHOOD: Medium awareness. No criminal activity observed in front of property. Low income housing nearby but the hotel is on the edge of the tourist zone of downtown Alexandria, VA.
LOCATION TO TOURIST SITES: Walking distance a couple blocks to King Street area for restaurants/pubs, and attractions in downtown Alexandria, VA.
TRIPADVISOR UTILIZED PRIOR TO BOOKING: Yes, but booking through Hotwire you can’t choose which hotel you will get. I was happy to find out I got this one.
CHECK-IN/OUT: Too easy.

REVIEW: I recommend this hotel if you’re on vacation or business. It is very clean and the lobby has a restaurant and bar. There is also a café-coffee shop. Parking is charged but there is plenty of free parking on the street out front. The front desk reported the neighborhood is safe. King Street of downtown Alexandria is walking distance by a few blocks which could take ten minutes.

THE GOOD: Location, price on Hotwire, cleanliness, professional staff, lobby bar, grocery across the street, lots of free parking on street out front, location, convention and conference facility located inside hotel. The gym and pool were nice, and there is a coin-op laundry located on the 4th floor. There is a small business center located off the lobby.

THE BAD: The room did not have a refrigerator, the a/c struggled and the room was a bit muggy upon check-in. The free wireless Internet had a very weak signal which forced me to reconfigure the room with the desk to gain a better signal...that did not work. Some rooms had microwave ovens placed outside the room on the floor in the hallway…Maybe they were broken? The gym closes at 10 p.m. and is locked.

Overall the room was very comfortable after I got the a/c working right, and the maids did not attempt once to disturb me in the morning. I would stay here again and would recommend this hotel to friends. If I can sleep in without maids bothering me, then I usally rate the hotel a little better on the comfort and value scale. This hotel scored a homerun! The maids were in the hasllway but never knocked or parked a cart in front of my room.

TIP-1: Priority Club members get extended check-out at 2 p.m. so take advantage of that free program. You can sign up online in the room and then call the front desk for late check-out.

TIP-2: The hotel charges for parking in the garage, but you might be able to find a free spot out front on the street which does not have any time limits.

TIP-3: I saved a lot of money booking on Hotwire, the only problem is you can’t select the hotel by name.

Happy travels. I hope this was helpful.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled solo
5 Thank California_Wine
rshkj
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2009

it is not the nicest hotel, but since the remodel it is ok. The rooms are clean and if you get one on the courtyard side they are very quite. the parking is tight in the garage but managable. I stay here about 4-5 times a year and the only problem I've had is the fire alarm has gone off two times, and it takes forever to get it shut back off. ( never has been a fire). It is better than staying in DC and its close to everything ( in the middle of all the stuff to do) I have not taken my family but plan to in the future, it has a nice pool and out of the husle and busle of down town.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business