WINNER WONDERLAND

Review of Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Historic District Alexandria

Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Historic District Alexandria
Ranked #26 of 54 Hotels in Alexandria
Füssen
“Outstanding value for this area.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 11, 2013

I love the area and have traveled here many times over the years, for business and social visits. I've stayed in many of the area hotels and this one has become my favorite. It is clean, comfortable and considerably less expensive than most in the area. It is in a less congested area than most, a pleasant residential section. Parking is easy and convenient (usually $20 per night, though) and a grocery store is across the street. I was not impressed with the food, but there are many options, some within an easy walk. The hotel has a shuttle but I prefer driving most places. If going to the heart of the old section, King Street, parking is available under the courthouse square.

Room Tip: Rooms can be a bit of a walk from the elevator, so I usually like being fairly close.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank John A
Hotel S, General Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Historic District Alexandria, responded to this review, September 18, 2013
Dear John A,

We thank you for your compliments and positive recognition of our staffs' service and feedback on our hotel. It is our utmost pleasure to serve you. Your comments will be shared with our staff to encourage continued efforts of generous hospitality. We love knowing we achieved our goal in providing you with an overall experience that was exceptional. We look forward to you returning in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
Tucson, Arizona
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 11, 2013

Alex Love at the front desk and Bill at the bar continue to provide the best service anywhere in the world. They are friendly, competent and go way above the norm to provide great customer service. My hotel of choice every time I travel to Washington DC

Room Tip: First floor allows quick and easy access
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Dear Wallace1944,

We appreciate your comments, your positive name recognition of our staff, services and feedback on our hotel. It is our utmost pleasure to serve you. It is our goal to provide our guest a great overall experience. Your comments will be shared with our staff to encourage continued efforts of generous hospitality. We are happy you enjoyed your stay and we're anticipating your return to serve you.
Palmetto, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2013

Free shuttle runs every 30 min to & from DCA airport.
Hotel is located within walking distance of Old Town Alexandria. There is a supermarket across the street with a deli so we saved money by buying food and wine there instead of eating out.
The hotel was clean, employees very helpful and courteous and our room was spacious with a balcony. We had a microwave oven and small refrigerator in the room.
The swimming pool was nice and well maintained.
We were satisfied with the price, good value.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Hotel S, General Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Historic District Alexandria, responded to this review, September 11, 2013
Dear Stephen C,

Thank you for the great comments and review of your recent stay with us. It is our utmost pleasure to have served you. It is our goal to provide our guest with a great overall experience. We're happy that we were conveniently located to your travel plans in the area. We look forward to you returning in the future.
Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2013 via mobile

I booked this stay through Hotwire, so I had no idea where I was even going until it was paid, "ALL SALES FINAL". When it said we were going to the Holiday Inn Old Town, I thought we had gotten lucky because it was only 1 mile from the center of town and places we wanted to go. Upon check-in, Moe was friendly but brief, asking for a credit card for "incidentals". Obviously this is not the first hotel I've stayed at, and I'm familiar with such policies. Incidentals would typically include: Room service, Laundry, Bar Tab, etcetera. Three days after check-out, I see a charge for $20 from them. I call the hotel and Moe answers the phone. I asked him why I was charged $20, to which he replied, "Oh, it's probably for parking." That's nice, why didn't you tell me there was a charge for parking at check-in? I didn't know "incidentals" would include parking the car that you will unavoidably be driving to the hotel? He apologized and offered to transfer me to an "accounting manager". This went straight to a voicemail account for I name I couldn't understand, for which my message has yet to be returned. I don't even care about the $20, but just like the gentleman in the review before mine, at least be up front about it!

About the room: I recently stayed at Holiday Inn Historic Downtown Charleston, South Carolina, which had just been built in the last couple years. The rooms inside this one in Alexandria are exactly the same down to the fixtures, just much dirtier. I'm actually a housekeeping supervisor by trade, so I can't help but inspect it the way I would my own rooms, as soon as we check in. Immediately, my eyes are drawn to a large reddish-brown stain, about the size of a dinner plate, in the carpet at the foot of the bed. A few strands of hair in the tub (this actually occurs a lot more than you would think...anywhere you stay!). A few of the bath towels appeared to have a few dark spots on them, permanently stained; nothing fresh. I will say the bed was absolutely made with fresh, clean linens. Overall, the room is still very nice, just needs a proper cleaning. It had a veranda that looked out into a courtyard and the indoor/outdoor pool. Unfortunately, this area was an extreme disappointment. As we enter the pool area, there is no staff to be found. We spend a few minutes reading all the warning signage and rules and a notice from the lifeguard: "I take my lunch from 6:30-7:00, so I won't be here. Please don't swim when I'm not here." SERIOUSLY?! After a few minutes, the tween-age "lifeguard" emerges from somewhere in the back and provides us with a towel. The pool is 3' 7" at its deepest point and its walls and floors are made of steel. The floor of the pool is extremely pitted and rusted in spots. Regardless, it will cool you off on a hot August day. Unfortunately, the pool deck is as poorly maintained as the room. Probably worse. My girlfriend and I made a funny game out of quietly cataloging the visible trash items scattered around the area: a straw, a plastic cup, a Slim Jim wrapper, the plastic seal from a bottle lid...and then my girlfriend caught the best sight ever: Two cockroaches trying desperately to pull a dead dragonfly down into the crack, where the brick pavers meet the fence to the courtyard area. Disgustingly hypnotic to watch. All the while, the lifeguard has his face buried in his cell phone. The sign-in sheet shows only one name before mine. I guess in between having to protect all (both) of his swimmers, he had no time to clean the area he should be patrolling.

The next morning, we actually enjoy sleeping in, because check out is not until noon. I call the front desk at 10:30am to get a couple towels to shower before heading out. By 11am, I have not seen them, so I just pop my head out into the hallway and see 2 housekeeping carts within 4 feet of my door. As I walk towards one, a housekeeper actually comes out of the room she's working in, and happily provides me with 2. As I turn to go back to my room, I realize we are about 10 feet from the laundry room. Okay, so why did it take me 30 minutes to get 2 TOWELS?

I don't write this review in hopes of receiving a management response. You can clearly see that a staff member is simply using a form letter and changing the section that says (insert guest complaint here). I write this review because I hope anyone who intentionally books this location will heed the biggest warning: BEWARE THE BILLING - Ask questions! The rest of the review is a detailed description of all the events that led to my overall dissatisfaction.

• Stayed August 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Hotel S, General Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Historic District Alexandria, responded to this review, September 3, 2013
Dear Corey S,

Thank you for taking your valuable time in sharing your recent stay with us. I understand you made a third party reservation. In making these types of reservations there is a disclaimer that you are made aware of that states "The reservation holder must present a valid photo ID and credit card at check-in. The credit card is required for any additional hotel specific service fees or incidental charges or fees that may be charged by the hotel to the customer at checkout. These charges may be mandatory (e.g., resort fees) or optional (parking, phone calls or minibars charges) and are not included in you offer price." We do charge for parking which is $20 per night which is very comparable to this area. It seems we've under charged and will address it with the guest service representative for not informing you of those charges and for not properly charging. Our goals are that our guests' overall experience is a great one. We hope that cleanliness, service, rooms and value meets our guests' expectations. We apologize that those expectations were not met. We will inform our managers to make the subsequent changes in reference to the issues you have mentioned about the cleanliness of the pool area, the noticeable stain on the carpet in your room, and for not receiving requested services in a timely manner. We will inform our pool managing company of the comments on the lifeguard's non attentive behavior. We really do take all comments as a vital tool to improve our services. We look forward to your returning to allow us to exceed in our ability to serve you better.
Wichita, Kansas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2013

We stayed few days, for a church conf. and loved everything about this hotel. They are family friendly, and also have very honest employees who graciously returned our wallet with everything intact. Thank you for a memorable time.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Hotel S, General Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Historic District Alexandria, responded to this review, August 26, 2013
Dear Matia B,

We appreciate your compliments, positive recognition of our staff and feedback on our hotel. It is our utmost pleasure to serve you. We love knowing we achieved our goal in providing you with an overall exceptional experience. Your comments will be shared with our staff to encourage continued efforts of generous hospitality. We are anticipating your returning to serve you again.
Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2013

This was a great hotel, but unfortunately I lost money here.
We were booked to stay at this hotel for 2 nights, unfortunately, due to the Asian airline crash in San Francisco, we arrived 1 day late. I rang the hotel to advise I would be 1 night late & that this was a prepaid advance booking, so I understood that I would not be refunded the nights accommodation. However, I did ask, considering my circumstances, if the money I paid could be offset against breakfast - I was told yes.
When i arrived I asked the person at the desk (Moe) to check if I had a credit on my account, after some checking he confirmed I did. I also asked if I could use the credit for breakfast & he said I am reasonably sure you can, but just ask again in the morning, which I did and again got confirmation that I had a credit on my account which I could use.
I left the hotel and when I next checked my credit card I found a $50 charge for breakfast from the hotel. I rang, spoke to the manager Kimberly, who said she would look into it and email me back. To date have not had an email or call back from her. I don't really care about the $50, but I don't like being told one thing and something else happens. This appears to be a hotel where communication between staff is lacking.
If it were not for this unfortunate incident, I would rate the hotel as excellent. On principal I would not stay there again, but please do not let me deter you from staying there.
One thing is that the hotel is a 15 to 20 minute walk from the main central Alexandria area (King street) where all the restaurants are.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank VicM
Hotel S, General Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Historic District Alexandria, responded to this review, August 19, 2013
Dear VicM,

We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience. Your comments are vital in helping us to continue to assert improvements where it is necessary. We apologize that you were not pleased with your experience with us. It our goal, that all of our guests would have a great overall experience. Continuity in communication is a key ingredient in serving our guest. We apologize for our shortcoming in communicating these services to you and among our staff. We will make sure that our Managers are aware of this to make the necessary changes to improve. If the issues mentioned are not rectified, please contact our Accounting Department for remedy. We look forward to you returning to allow us to exceed in our ability to serve you.
Falls Church, Virginia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2013

The hotel public areas and my room were clean and well cared for, but the restaurant was barely acceptable at best. My main frustration, however, was the wi-fi. It was weak, slow and hard to connect to, and I simply wasted a great deal of time trying to use it. In the end I gave up and began going to nearby restaurants that had decent wi-fi, like the Royal Cafe and Teaism. For me, usable wi-fi is a major consideration. I won't be using this hotel again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank David P
Hotel S, General Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Historic District Alexandria, responded to this review, August 5, 2013
Dear David P,

Thank you for taking your valuable time to give your comments. We receive each comment as a vital tool in improving and making changes where needed to better serve our guest . Our goal in providing you with an overall exceptional experience. We apologize that the Wifi service was not up to your expectations, we will look into ways to correct these issues with the provider. We hope that you would give us the opportunity to surpass the your standard.