“Parking under repair”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Hampton, Virginia
“Parking under repair”
Reviewed October 31, 2012

This hotel is an older Holiday Inn but our room was clean and fine for 1 night. The only problem we encountered was finding parking around the hotel. The parking garage and fitness center are currently under repair and closed. Although they do offer alternative parking at the Crown Plaza it is several blocks away from this hotel. This Holiday Inn is an acceptable alternative if you want to be somewhat near old town and the Sheraton is full and the Hotel Monaco is too expensive.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank rca2011

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
Pewaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed October 24, 2012

Arriving on a sunday night, I was given a room key for a suite. Upon opening the door, the chain was on the door with someone inside yelling HEY.... I walked back to get another room. My second room, the key card did not work. After convincing the front desk that they needed to come with me to let me into the room, the key still did not work but the master key the guy had did. Next the light in the bathroom does not work and the shower does not drain. I stopped by the desk monday morning to alert them of these issues to which they were written into a log. They came and fixed the key card reader monday but failed to fix the light or drain. I assumed that even the cleaning person who moved the lamp from sitting on the toilet back to the table MIGHT have said something to maintenance?? Nope. Tuesday rolls around - still no light and no drain. Stopped at the front desk and expressed my disappointment. Tuesday during the day they resolved those issues. Wednesday comes, showering in my newly lit bathroom I notice there is mold under the soap holder in the shower. Sweet. Once I got out of the shower there was a bug crawling across the bed which I have never seen before. I am never going back and would not recommend this hotel to anyone.

Room Tip: Rooms at another hotel are better.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
WASHINGTON,PA.
Reviewed October 19, 2012

we had a wonderful trip last may,2012. whenever we go to d.c. area we always plan on staying
at the holiday inn, alexandria.

very convenient in and out of d.c. and the surrounding area. found this hotel to be very good,
clean and very accomodating to us.would and have, recommended.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed October 18, 2012

I had to stay here for work travel as accommodations were made by the office. This was THE WORSE HOTEL I have ever stayed in - period. The first room I was in had MOLD in it - on the vents - they were black. The second room had a public style toilet, various STAINS on the ironing board and BLOOD stains on the bathroom door and window curtains. These rooms are not cleaned and should be a health violation. There was also dust in the bathroom and the shower curtain rod was coming out of the tile. I wish this review allowed pictures because I have proof. I would NEVER recommend this hotel or the staff. I'm still disgusted with the company and the hotel!

Room Tip: Do not stay here!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank L M
Denver, Colorado, United States
Reviewed October 15, 2012

My son and I had to book a last-minute hotel when our original plans upon arriving fell through. From the outside, the hotel looks very nice. I booked the hotel through Priceline, and maybe the hotel reserves the worst rooms for customers like us. I don't know, but the first room they gave us was, in a word, GROSS. There were two large stains on the carpet--one of which looked like Kool-Aid--and there was a big thread of carpet sticking up in the middle of the room. When I complained, we were immediately booked into a different room that, although less gross, still sported 2 very visible coffee stains AND an unknown whitish stain on the chair upholstery. In short:it's the kind of hotel room I wouldn't take my shoes off in. I mean--seriously? You don't anticipate people spilling things, and don't have some sort of method to remove stains? You're a HOTEL.

I'm tired of complaining, tired from the trip, and I suspect I'll just get another room with stains anyway (maybe that's all they have here). Can't wait to go to the other hotel we books in 2 days, but I'll NEVER stay here again. Yuck. This should be rated a two-star hotel. I've stayed in better Motel 6s.

Room Tip: Rooms #219 and #107 have stained carpets. Try any others but these two.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Elle L
Netherlands
Reviewed October 3, 2012

Stayed here for 2 nights.
I would say this is one of the better Holiday Inns around, and for the money I am satisfied that we made the right choice.
The hotel is about 10 blocks walk from the town centre, but this is a nice walk along the waterfront through an affluent neighbourhood. A few blocks inland is slightly less well-off, but we didn't see a 'poor' area anywhere; I suspect this part of the town is all pretty expensive. Alternatively you can use the hotel's free shuttle into town (half hourly but not 24hrs)
The hotel also runs a half hourly shuttle to Ronald Regan where you can jump on the metro into DC - very easy. Or jump on the free King street trolley to the Metro two stops earlier.
The hotel itself was clean and welcoming, much more of a hotel than a motel. Parking underground is adequate, but they should do something about the parking fee of $20 (I'm not sure we were charged??) You can park in the street nearby for free, and it is safe enough.
The room was clean, with good facilities. Curtains were a touch tired, but otherwise we we're very happy with the room.
This is neither the Waldorf Astoria, nor your own home, but it is certainly not a cheap motel on the freeway. All round I would recommend this as a great base for anyone visiting DC on business or exploring the city.

Room Tip: We had a room at the top of the stairs, facing the front (supermarket right across the street). We t...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
West Lothian, Scotland
Reviewed September 24, 2012

We stayed here in September for 3 days while we went sight seeing in Washington DC. The hotel itself was excellent. Huge rooms, extremely comfortable bed, free fast wireless internet, working AC (although a little noisy, tended to switch it off overnight), clean bathroom, friendly staff. Pretty much everything you could ask for!

The hotel is situated in a very safe, pretty area about 15 to 20 minutes walk from King Street, where all the cute shops and restaurants are. However there's also a decent supermarket right across the road, and a decent steakhouse half a block away (TJ Stones). For the metro it was about a 15 minute walk to Braddock Road. Walk felt very safe despite going through a slightly less upmarket housing estate. There was also a free, and very useful shuttle to Ronald Reagan airport, useful both for the metro (avoiding the walk with luggage) and the airport itself. We found it a great base for exploring both Arlington and DC, and was great value in comparison to the hotels in town (which we were slightly nervous about location-wise).

The only let-down was the breakfast which was average quality and over-priced. And don't order tea - they make it in the coffee jugs (coffee flavoured tea, yuch!). Best to head out for breakfast.

Room Tip: Other reviews had commented on slightly damp smelling rooms and corridor. However we were on floor 7...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple