Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Alexandria - Old Town
Ranked #34 of 54 Hotels in Alexandria
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed June 28, 2011

We had a family trip to D.C. recently and stayed here. Though a Metro stop is not close, the shuttle service to DCA made it easy to make this our basecamp. The rooms were clean and the service was great. We were very happy with the AAA discount we received. All in all, we thought it was a good value and would stay there again without concerns.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family

Reviewed June 23, 2011

I have been a priority club member since about 1999 or so, so Holiday Inns are always my first choice. This particular Holiday Inn turned out to be my favorite in the DC area of a period of several years of traveling there.

For starters, I always get upgraded to a suite. This is probably due to my membership status, but the fact is that this particular Holiday Inn is the only place that consistently upgrades me. And the rooms and accomodations are always nice.

The staff is superb. They are always friendly and helpful. The lobby is warm and inviting. There's a decent bar and small restaurant right there, and a cafe on the ground floor. If none of that suits you, there's is a Giant supermarket right across the street, and a number of decent restaurant nearby.

I don't look for much when I travel on business, but this place always surpasses my expectations.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed June 19, 2011

The Holiday Inn and Suites in the historic district of Alexandria was a great value during our stay near DC. We were there with our two kids (ages 11 and13) and really can't think of a single complaint. The building/rooms are renovated and the beds were super comfy. The shuttle service was perfect - on time every time and easy to deal with. Being a busy time of year, the hotel was hectic but they handled the crowds very well. The front desk staff was exceptional - very focused on service. To get to DC, take the shuttle to Reagan National Airport and then pick up the Metro from there - way easier than hiking down to Alexandria's King Street Metro (about a 30 minute brisk walk).

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed May 8, 2011

I recently stayed at this hotel. I had been flying for 21 hrs and was exhausted.
I may be exaggerating a bit, but I think this hotel has the best beds in the world. Nice touch having both soft and firm pillows available.

• Stayed: May 2011
Reviewed May 5, 2011

There used to be a holiday inn on King Street in the heart of the historic district but that one is now a fancifully redone Kimpton, called the MONACO. This Holiday Inn is about a mile from King street in an area it shares with the Crowne Plaza, the Sheraton Suites and a Best Western. The area has federal style buildings, and the Holiday Inn, a long low rise has always had a nice inviting presence in this neighborhood. With a recent redo of its interior, it is now a pleasant place to stay, as well. The spacious lobby is comfortable, if not luxurious, with colorful touches. The front desk staff are quite nice and helpful. 2 elevators wisk you to a long corridor which threads together two parts of the building.. The lobbies are colorful with modern rugs. At the end of the corridor are 3 other elevators and another right angle corridor which takes you to the rooms over the hotel's conference center. Rooms facing the interior starting about midway down the first corridor have views of a pleasant inner courtyard which opens onto a indoor-outdoor pool. There are French Doors to a small balcony with these views. The rooms have light wood furniture and the now deriquer white comforters with a colorful sash. There is a bench at the foot of the bed. Altogether quite attractive. Unfortunately, in my wife and my room(my son had his own), the light textured carpet had a number of deep stains. In calling the front desk, there was no other king bedded room near our son;s and so we stayed. My wife gently pressured the clerk for compensation and we were awarded with 3 coupons for a full breakfast each of the mornings we were there. The big negative in these rooms are the tiny bathrooms with poor lighting at the outer sink. And, at 10 AM, there was not much hot water in the shower, a big downer for me. Breakfast was nice, but order from the menu as the buffet was a bit down and out. At the conference end of the first floor corridor is a privately run coffee shop open till 11 PM, with coffee, teas, pastries and simple sandwiches(and some breakfast items). We did not visit the pool area. There is a nicely hidden supermarket across the street from the hotel's entrance. We found parking on a weekend on the street. The hotel has a indoor parking garage at $20 a nigh t for guests. There are decent restaurants in the area, if you do not want to head down to King Street, about an 8 minute drive. The hotel offers shuttle service to King . Free internet in the rooms does not work.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank goaroving
Reviewed April 29, 2011

We usually stay at the Crowne Plaza, but rooms were not available on our arrival date. We agreed to accept the HI b/c we were familiar w/the location and we knew the HI had the pool. We stayed at another hotel in Alexandria earlier in the week. What were we most surprised about w/the HI in which we paid the same cost as the other hotel and for which we were the most disappointed?....no amenities in the room (such as refridgerator, microwave), pool was closed for summer preparation (but it is an indoor pool?), all other hotels allowed a late check out by at least 1 hour and we had to haggle these guys for 30 additional minutes, bathtub was gross, carpet had stains and was damaged, the shuttle driver was rude (we had to get a cab b/c it started raining while we were in downtown Alexandria and the shuttle was not scheduled to arrive for another 45 mintues, while we were settling up w/our cab driver, the shuttle driver honked continuously b/c we were apparently in "his" way even though we were guests). We were in the DMV area for 5 nights and this was by far the worst experience.

• Stayed: April 2011
Reviewed March 15, 2011

I stayed at this hotel for several nights during my business trip to DC. The front staff and the drivers of the free shuttle which runs to and from the Reagan airport were all very friendly and helpful. My room was spacious and quiet, but though it looked clean at first I felt itchy once I turned on the air conditioner. I would not say that the location is great. Unless you have a car, you need to take the shuttle in order to ride the metro to DC.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled on business