“Excellent Inventive Cuisine”
Review of Jackson 20

Jackson 20
Reserve with OpenTable
Jackson 20 is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #41 of 769 Restaurants in Alexandria
Cross street: South Pitt
Transit: King Street Metro
Description: Celebrating Modern Tradition
Reviewed September 29, 2013

My initial reaction to the tiny two-page menu was that I would struggle to find something to eat--especially since the emphasis here is fresh ingredients. I pictured myself eating weeds and undercooked grains. Instead I had difficulty paring down my choices. Everything sounded good. Fortunately, dining with family meant we could try multiple appetizers and entrees. Portions were more than adequate. In fact, I would suggest sharing an appetizer since they are good sized. I chose a ham and corn fritter which was very tasty. My entree was goat served with cheese ravioli and a corn puree. Exquisite! I also sampled the Kielbasa which had a nice spicy snap to it. The service was exceptional, the server knowledgeable yet without the annoying hover so many seem to think is necessary. The drink menu was extensive but seems to lean toward the whiskey-bourbon concoctions which is unusual but fun. As I will be moving to Alexandria next year, I can see this becoming a regular lunch and dinner choice.

Becky B, Manager at Jackson 20, responded to this reviewResponded October 4, 2013

Thank you so much for your positive feedback!! It is exciting to hear you had such a great experience when dining with us.

You are going to love the move to Alexandria. There are so many great shopping and dining options as well as social events.

I am available to answer any questions you might have about Jackson 20 and the area.

We definitely look forward to your future patronage.

Reviewed September 19, 2013

This beautiful and snazzy restaurant is connected to a fine hotel in Old Town, Alexandria. Parking is tricky, but the food and the atmosphere are well worth the effort to find parking. They will take reservations for a group of 8. Brunch was outstanding; portions normal - not huge, but not too small. The 'bottomless mimosas' are a good deal for some of us!! Service was pleasant and timing very reasonable in a fully occupied restaurant. Noise at brunch is somewhat daunting so bear that in mind when scheduling cause conversation across a long table for 8 was difficult. They should really consider getting other size/format tables in there.

Becky B, Manager at Jackson 20, responded to this reviewResponded September 22, 2013

I am glad you enjoyed brunch and that our staff took great care of your group.

We look forward to your future visits!

Reviewed September 18, 2013

I only had breakfast here, but it was good both days. Solid, American food. It's sort of a gastropub and was fairly busy on Monday evening.

Thank you!

I am glad to hear you enjoyed your breakfast both visits.

We hope to see you soon... perhaps for lunch or dinner!

Cheers,

Reviewed September 18, 2013

The bottomless mimosas were a hit, but my friend and I had to prompt our server for refills. Eggs benedict with fresh hollandaise did not disappoint. As the restaurant became more crowded the noise level steadily rose until it was quite difficult to hold a conversation. Perhaps something could be done (acoustic tiles, etc) by management to help with the acoustics. Be sure to pay for parking because you will be ticketed and/or towed in Old Town. Reservations are strongly encouraged.

Thank you for your feedback!!

I agree Brunch can get pretty noisy as it gets busy. We have made a huge improvement in comparison to what it used to be by installing ceiling panels to muffle some echoes. We are still looking into different options to continue the effort to lower the noise level.

Thank you for your review, we love to hear what our guests think. If you plan on visiting us again please reach out to me directly so we can get your reservation booked.

Reviewed September 10, 2013

We stayed for 3 nights at the Kimpton and had continental breakfast included in our rate, which was served at Jackson 20.

We found the inconsistency unbelievable and the staff somewhat surly, unhelpful and unknowledgeable.

- Day 1 - no choices on tea (loose leaf in a pot), no options for not wanting an awful looking muffin and very poor service
- Day 2 - choices for tea (loose leaf in a pot), given the option to exchange the awful looking muffin for toast and also told we could have oatmeal instead of the continental breakfast (we did)... service better
- Day 3 - choices for tea (teabag in a mug), had to ask for toast instead of the muffin and got half as much toast as the day before (1 slice) and when we asked to exchange the continental for oatmeal were told that wasn't possible (eventually they did but it took a while!)... service slow/painful...

All in all, very inconsistent and not that great... maybe they should adopt some standards! ;-)

Hello,

My name is Becky Bray and I am one of the managers at Jackson 20.

I apologize becasue we really dropped the ball with your dining experience.

We do infact have standards but it does not look like they were enforced during your visit.

I have many questions and would like to discuss in more details with you.

Would you mind reaching out to me directly?

I look forward to your response.