“Convenient but limited for brunch”
Review of Jackson 20

Jackson 20
Reserve with OpenTable
Jackson 20 is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #46 of 767 Restaurants in Alexandria
Cross street: South Pitt
Transit: King Street Metro
Description: Celebrating Modern Tradition
Reviewed February 18, 2013

Jackson20 requires reservations for every meal since it is a small restaurant. make your reservation early. They accommodated 10 of my friends and me for brunch without a problem with a reservation. the food was good but the menu was a bit limited. Service was very good! I would return for lunch but as for brunch.......I think we could have found something with more variety!

Reviewed February 10, 2013

We have dined here a few times when visiting Alexandria, and always had a great experience. This time we chose Jackson 20 to celebrate my husband's birthday, and what a disappointment. We made reservations and were seated in the worst possible seat in the restaurant. Sadly, it was so busy, the only other options sat more people than the 2 in our party. Instead of a nice cozy dinner, like the other times, we shared our dinner conversation with the table next to us, the wait staff from kitchen, and bar patrons that hovered over our table, with their drinks on the ledge next to our heads. Not at all what I envisioned for my husband's birthday, and honestly I would have complained right off, but he asked me not to. We decided to make the best of it. The drinks ranged from terrible to fantastic. The drink the waiter suggested to my husband was awful, he decided to change to a favorite standby for the next drink, and it was not much better. My drink was fantastic--the Socialite--the best thing about our whole evening at Jackson 20. It was Restaurant week in Alexandria, and personally, I would think a restaurant would have their " A Game" but I just did not see it. The Fried Green Tomatoes were tasty, but I found the Shrimp and Grits not so much. I did not enjoy having to shell my shrimp and remove the heads before I ate them. Growing up on the coast I know some chefs like to do this for presentation, but I find it distasteful and unnecessary. The Mac and cheese was good, but not as good as the last time. The sauce on the ribs was very good but the inside quite dry, and well the collard greens were almost as good as Mom's. The waiter did try to keep a check on us, the restaurant was very busy, overall I would say that the service was pretty good. I would have loved to give Jackson 20 a great review, but came away with mixed feelings--some items great some not so great. I would expect better for the cost of dinner and for it being inside of a Kimpton Hotel. There are lots of dining choices in Alexandria, not sure Jackson 20 will be our choice the next time we visit.

Reviewed February 8, 2013

Tried it for Restaurant Week 2013. They had a wide variety of selections to choose from, including the basics such as a hamburger and fries. The food was really delicious and the service was excellent!! Really LOVED the shrimp fritters! Can be a little pricey depending on your budget, but well worth it.

Reviewed January 29, 2013

I've only been to Jackson 20 for brunch, so can't speak to lunch or dinner. But the brunch was delicious. I keep thinking about going back but just haven't made it yet. The stand out to me was the hashbrowns. I need to make a return trip soon.

Reviewed January 27, 2013

During the days leading up to the inauguration, the town of Alexandria launched an "inaugural restaurant week". Too often, these promotions provide minimal opportunities to actually sample the menu.

Not so the case with Jackson 20 who for $35.13 not only offered their entire menu but also provided full sized portions for selections. Although there was a slight upcharge for the ribeye, everything else was open game. Be wary of the muffins and breads offered With some honey butter, one could easily eat ones fill.

We opted for the beet salad and the house salad as our appetizer choices which were filling but not too much. For a place lauded for its meat, particularly pork, we landed on two fish selections (the trout and salmon) that are both regular staples. Neither disappointed as they were fresh, colorful, and not overcooked.

The dessert were just overkill. But since included, could not say no. One offering easily could have served two or more. If only had more people to share, would not have felt so guilty for not finishing them.

If get the opportunity to try this restaurant attached to the lovely Monaco, do so. Restaurant week or not, it will be worth the effort.