“Nice dinner place”

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Old Town
Reviewed March 20, 2019

Begin with an excellent wait staff member - Julian. Makes a great "filthy" Martini or a cherry filled Manhattan. Don't be afraid to ask for him. High quality draft beers on tap and reasonably priced. Wine is also reasonable and nice quality. After dinner coffee is also great - Colombian. Julian can make an unusual decaf coffee with different layers, if that is your preference.

Great place for dinner. The Italian dinner specials have always been very nice. Sometimes I do sausage instead of chicken in specific dishes (some substitutions allowed). Italian specials and menu dishes always very nice and tasty, especially the ones with tomato sauce.

Calamari is the best in the city. Penna Mozzarella - my favorite with sausage. Seafood with pasta also very nice. Mediterranean salad is great for a lighter item - ask for shrimp on the side. Can also order steamed vegetables as a side dish for another healthy option. But don't expect a table cloth.

Date of visit: March 2019
1  Thank Drummer_Man_Artist

Reviewed March 13, 2019 via mobile

I have stopped in here from time to time over the years. When I’m in Old Town this is always a good dinner stop. Nice quite place, unlike a lot of the other restaurants in the area. I have not ordered anything that I did not like. See photo.

Date of visit: March 2019
1  Thank EAN_Diver
Reviewed February 6, 2019 via mobile

This restaurant was recommended to us. Our daughter wanted pasta one night so we thought we’d give it a try. The experience started off well enough. We asked what the favorite dishes were (our usual routine for new places). The waiter responded by asking us questions to narrow down options. I had the shrimp and scallops pasta and my husband had the veal osso bucco. We ordered the lobster bisque as a starter. My husband liked it but it didn’t suit my tastes. I found it to be too heavy on tomato and not enough cream. The kids’ meals left a lot to be desired. I prefer it if they are able to eat something that I can’t make at home. Our meals arrived. My shrimp was slightly overdone but the scallops were cooked just right. They mentioned several times that the pasta is made there. My linguine was very doughy. It may have been an off day but, with so many other restaurants to try out, we won’t be back.

Date of visit: January 2019
Reviewed November 30, 2018 via mobile

I was in Alexandria for business and for one night only. I had researched restaurants on TripAdvisor prior and Pines of Florence was not one I had saved. I chose it anyway because the old building from the outside intrigued me and because it was a short walk back to the hotel. The inside atmosphere is closer to the feel of a cafeteria than a restaurant with a historic ambience. It doesn’t quite match the appeal of the outer “day’s gone by” appearance and I was a little disappointed in this at first.

The owner was friendly and smiling, though, as he quickly greeted me and offered any table available. I settled into a booth by a window near the front and across from the bar. The menu has many choices from pastas to pizzas to sandwiches. I pretty quickly spotted the homemade seafood lasagna listed in the specials.

It was a great choice. There was plenty of seafood in the lasagna and the light tomato cream sauce was a nice surprise. Every bite was full of flavor without being heavy like a typical lasagna. The homemade bread served prior with olive oil and minced garlic is worth mentioning as well.

Pines of Florence was a good choice for me. Traveling alone and in a place that was new to me, it ended up being a relaxing, low-key place to unwind. It gave me a chance to respond to emails on my phone and I also got to admire blooming orchids in the windows. I would definitely eat here again.

Date of visit: December 2018
1  Thank RoamWithRobin
Reviewed October 19, 2018

We were in Alexandria for a week and ate there twice. The owner worked the front of the house and greeted us like old friends. I had the Veal Saltimboca and my wife had the Veal Piccata on the first visit. The lemon flavor was prominent but not overpowering. All the pasta used on the main and side dishes appear to be house made-very good. The side salad was very fresh and appeared as if someone really cared about it-a side salad. On the second visit I had Chicken Piccata and she had Chicken Marsala. She felt that her dish should contain more Marsala flavor instead of the tomato coming through. Nonetheless, both were very good.
On both visits we took a serving of Tiramisu back to the hotel. This was the lightest most delicate tiramisu I've ever had. Great texture and not at all heavy. Don't pass it up.
The only recommendation I have is to expand the wine list. It is serviceable but not much else.

Date of visit: October 2018