“Interesting, quick visit”

George Washington Masonic National Memorial
Ranked #9 of 96 things to do in Alexandria
More attraction details
Owner description: A very visible tribute to George Washington stands on King Street in Alexandria, Virginia.
Reviewed November 18, 2013

We took the guided tour which I highly recommend as it takes you to places you wouldn't get to go otherwise. The guide was fairly informative but I think they could have given a lot more information. The views from the top (even though it was misting) were pretty.

All reviews
"walk around"
in 9 reviews
"potomac river"

Reviewed November 12, 2013

I have wanted to visit this site on numerous trips to Alexandria VA and I finally did in September 2012. Having just read Dan Brown's book the "Lost Symbol" I was very excited to visit this memorial. I would recommend the tour, it is full of information. But for me, a photographer, the tower views of surrounding Alexandria were fantastic! It helped that is was a bright sunny day. The only draw back is that there are a lot of steps in the front to get to the memorial and since I was walking that was the way I entered, but well worth the exercise!

Reviewed November 3, 2013

This place offers a $5 and a $8 tour - self-guided and guided. The guided tour gets access to the tower. I'm not sure how necessary tower access is however as the view from simply the front door of this place is pretty good in and of itself. The map given for the self-guided tour however could use some work so the guided tour may be good for just gathering cursory info on the place and it's history. Call before you go to make sure the entire space is open. When I went the basement was closed as an antique show was being set up. Then again, calling before you go may not be of any use as the front desk people didn't know the basement was closed. It wasn't till I paid and actually got downstairs that a worker told me I couldn't be there.

Reviewed October 23, 2013

It was a beautiful venue for the wedding, inside and out. Someone was directing people to the ceremony given the massive indoor space. It was elegant and historic. The views from outside were exquisite.

See more reviews
Reviewed October 20, 2013

I can't believe I have lived in Alexandria for as many years as I have and never been here!! Very interesting, lots of history. I had my 4yo with me and while he wasn't as interested in most of the displays, he did like the stairways, the theatre was nice/interesting to him as were sitting on the front steps and admiring the view of the *big city* below. Perfect for the pint size train enthusiasts as Amtrak is just across the street. Amazing what kids see we dont when looking at this panoramic view!! We didnt take the tour but are going to go back and take it so we can go up to the observation deck!!