“love this place”

Neighborhood: Old Town
Santa Barbara, California
“love this place”
Reviewed January 20, 2013

its the kind of place you're always looking for - awesome wine selection, friendly staff, good coffee - and you can take a book and go hang out. 2 thumbs up

• Visited December 2012

“Trifecta brewer”
Reviewed January 17, 2013

We walked into this place about 30 minutes before they closed. We had been referred to it because of a fancy brewer they had called the Trifecta. It's similar to a french press, but works upward instead of downward. I had a blend of African coffees. It was so smooth and not acidic at all. The staff was also incredibly nice, especially considering we came in kinda late. I will go back to this place often!

Visited January 2013
Brighton
“Nice evening out with friends”
Reviewed December 5, 2012

Went to Grape & Bean whilst visiting a friend in Old Town. Nice atmosphere and attentive service. Had a few glasses of wine and snacks (cheese plates, etc). However, not cheap with each glass of wine costing about $11 each. However, we enjoyed the evening out and would strongly recommend as a cool place to spend the evening.

• Visited November 2012
Alexandria, Virginia
“Snide and unfriendly joint”
Reviewed November 5, 2012

I stopped in here with a friend and out of town guests. We bought their $2+ (each) of small cups of drip coffee and decided to visit lavender moon cupcakery next door. We bought cupcakes and tried to find a spot to sit. No such luck. We thought, ok, maybe we can sit for 10 minutes where we bought our coffee. Mind you there was an open table and little to no crowds. 4 minutes later, a woman comes out and says it's a health code violation to have outside food. REALLY? I don't know if that is true or not and if it is, mea culpa. We indeed left but it was a demand shouted to us over another table. I would still give them 1 star for the owner/staff being bitter beans and for my drinking bitter beans. My husband owns an establishment that has the same type of layout with outside tables and he allows for the next door people to come with their coffee and eat at his, or vice versa... What a waste for a place that has a bit more potential. They've lost my business and a bunch of others. Great job on making visitors feel so welcome in such a great city. The next time, and if it's true, at least come over to the table instead of admonishing people in public. Wench.

Update 11/5/2012: I talked to a City of Alexandria Environmental Health Inspector who informed me that there is no such code of not allowing outside food. The vendor determines if they want to allow outside food. I understand if Grape and Bean don't allow it but call a spade a spade and don't hide behind fictional health codes. That shows the true colors of a person and business.

• Visited November 2012
Chicago, Illinois
“Nice staff and selection”
Reviewed October 20, 2012

Grabbed a couple of bottles here. Very nice selection. A little pricey, but it is nice to have curated choices. Bonus: the also stock Blue Bottle coffee

Visited October 2012