“Nothing special, pizza bland”

Quattro Goomba's Winery
Ranked #1 of 7 things to do in Aldie
Reviewed December 15, 2012

The highlight of this trip was seeing a wonderful singer, Tiffany Thompson, play. Aside from that, it was a typical winery with below average wine. The pizza was extremely bland and the cheese blocks being sold weren't anything special.

I did enjoy the frozen slushie wine, though. Dog friendly.

There are newer reviews for Quattro Goomba's Winery

Reviewed November 5, 2012

The directions on their website are clear until you turn it what you assume is their driveway. There are no signs confirming that you are in the right place and litte parking. My friend and I wandered lost until one woman (an employee possibly - no way to know since the employees / owners don't identifiy themselves in anyway) told us to go to the restaurant since the tasting room was booked. Overall, the wines were good (I bought 3 bottles) and their pizza is great but I think it is explained well on what to do and the restaurant is VERY loud (even before the guy started singing).

Reviewed November 3, 2012 via mobile

An exceptional overall visit and wine tasting. Highly recommend the wines, pizza, and overall friendly experience.

Reviewed October 4, 2012

Quattro Goombas is anything but your typical Virginia Winery. There are no bougie pretenses at being a "pinky in the air" establishment. The owners' mission is to create a place of relaxation and fun where you can enjoy some nice wines and food made with methods and recipes going back many generations.

The wines here are young and made with imported grapes, but don't let that dissuade you from giving Goombas a try. There's a lot of love in those barrels and I enjoyed a number of them. One of the reds reminds me of a jug style wine I enjoyed in Little Italy, NY. My favorite is the Tradizione with a lovely hint of bourbon, and a carafe of wine slushies is always fun while enjoying some live music.

Most wineries offer cheese and crackers, but Goombas also turns out some really good sicilian pizza; good by NY standards. The pizza dough and breads are handmade each day, apparently using Grandma's recipe.

If I sound a little biased with this review, I suppose I am. This is a cool, family run operation close to home, and I admire how the proprietor, after leaving an engineering firm, decided to take a chance and make Goombas work as a full time business. While this is no Chateau Montelena, his story reminds me a bit of the movie Bottle Shock.

With their great location by Gilbert's corner and live music most evenings, Goombas is just a fun place to hang out.

Reviewed September 5, 2012

The day I went I took a friend visiting from NY and while we were offered the chance to do a tasting the person doing it did not hesitate to let us know it was close to closing time and made it seem like they're doing you a favor. I was kind of thinking I was doing them a favor by patronizing their business. I hav no idea if this person was an owner or just someone who worked there. I was not crazy about any of the wines and neither was my friend who is generally not choosey about wine. There may have been more than one tasting area but on this day we were told the only place to taste was in an 'out building'. It was cool this day and no place to sit as there was live music and the limited seating was full. I gave them the benefit of the doubt that their setup was only temporary but with all the other VA wineries I won't return to this one.