“Terrible”

Blue Toad Hard Cider
Ranked #5 of 6 Restaurants in Afton
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night
Description: Old-school values, new-world sensibilities. Born in a barn, Blue Toad Cider honors the tradition and legacy of America’s first preferred beverage by brewing an all-natural and eminently drinkable hard cider using locally grown apples in Western New York and apples grown in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia. Rather than solely using European-style tart and bitter apples, Blue Toad Hard Cider uses a cider blend of three to four different apple varieties (replete with natural seasonal variation) grown in areas near Rochester, New York and Tyro, Virginia. Our production takes place at our cideries located in the Genesee Regional Market in Rochester, New York and at the base of Wintergreen Resort in Roseland, Virginia. We believe our cider is different – more authentic, more drinkable, more responsibly produced, more of an experience – than the more mass-produced ciders that may use imported concentrates. We hope you’ll treat yourself to a bottle, can or glass of our hard cider soon to savor that difference. We think you’ll be back for another.
Richmond, Virginia
“Terrible”
Reviewed April 7, 2012

This place is ridiculous. We went there the first week they were open and they sat us at at a table and the hostess informed us of all the things on the menu that weren't available. They looked terribly unorganized and after sitting there for about twenty minutes with no one to help us we left. We figured it was growing pains so we gave it another chance and went last night. We sat in the bar for about an hour and got excellent service from the bartender. Then we said we wanted to get a table and eat dinner. She told the hostess to put us on the list. The hostess appeared to not really want to do anything and after about an hour the bartender just took care of getting us a table. There were plenty available by this time. Then to our astonishment, no one waited on us for about twenty minutes. I went to the hostess and told her and then her and the bartender had a visible argument about our table. Finally a waitress came to our table and, again, to our astonishment, kept telling us that they were out of what we were ordering. We finally found something they had and I ordered a side salad with the special of the evening. I told her to hold the onions but she said they couldn't that so I told her I didn't want it. She brought it anyway and then overcharged us for it. When I asked her about the overcharge she said I didn't get an entree so the salad, that I told her I didn't want was an extra $4. The evening special was not an entree? Then why didn't she ask what I would like for an entree? Terrible, terrible place. Will never go near again.

• Visited April 2012
2 Thank Lvthmountainssssss

Seaford, Delaware
“Wonderful Experience”
Reviewed February 15, 2012

We are visiting wineries in the Charlottesville area. This restaurant was recommended to us by a staff member at a local winery. Excellent recommendation! The restaurant was clean, food was excellent, service was excellent. The beer selection was expansive. " Ask the locals where they like to eat" worked well for us. We only wish we lived closer so that we could be "regulars".

• Visited February 2012
Nellysford, Virginia
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“i wish it was still just the walk up window.”
Reviewed February 2, 2012

My husband son and I have visited your restaurant a number of times and this afternoon was the worst time and I feel the need to share. First the watress took forever to ring my to order. So long that the chef even said something to her. Meanwhile my husband waited in the car watching what looked like the whole staff 6 people smoking behind the dumpster. The food was nothing like it use to be. My Burger was very dry and my husband didn't get his salad that was suppose to come with his meal. I'm not sure if We are ever going to return being that it was 50 for three beers and three to go meals which one was a kids meal.

• Visited February 2012
1 Thank e f
Virginia
“Bargain breakfast, casual friendly pub.”
Reviewed January 10, 2012

Now that the initial kinks have been worked out, many of us locals now feel that the Blue Toad is the best bargain around. We like the pub atmosphere and the home-cooked style of food. The weekend breakfasts are quite substantial for under $10. Two huge pancakes with sausage links for only $4.50 hot off the grill. They don't brew, but pride themselves in serving beer from every state. The owner, Todd, is usually around to make sure you're happy. A nice steady crowd, usually not crowded except during prime time weekend evenings at which time, after 7:30 is not a problem at all.

• Visited January 2012
1 Thank Samestory
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great friendly bar”
Reviewed October 23, 2011

Went to watch a football game. Great food, very friendly staff. Will definitely go back when we are in town again!

• Visited October 2011
1 Thank Weisspgh

Been to Blue Toad Hard Cider? Share your experiences!