“rude staff”

Cardinal Point Vineyard and Winery
Ranked #5 of 12 things to do in Afton
More attraction details
Owner description: Cardinal Point is ideally situated within view of the Rockfish Gap, the Blue Ridge Parkway, and Skyline Drive in Nelson County, Virginia. We take great pride in creating high quality, delicious, and food-friendly wines. But we take the most pleasure in creating wines that showcase our specific terroir, our winemaker's unique creativity, and put a smile on our customer's faces.
Reviewed June 22, 2013

We called prior to try to reserve, but they don't take large groups after 1:00 pm. They said we could do 2 groups when we showed up. When we got there, they had openings at the tasting bar, but the woman was so rude to our group that we didn't stay.

1  Thank CCS004
There are newer reviews for Cardinal Point Vineyard and Winery

Reviewed June 18, 2013

I have worked in "Customer Service" for 25 years and have never been treated so poorly and disrespectfully as over the phone with this winery. I am Activities Director for a local ski club and planned (3 months in advance) a Virginia Wine Weekend for a group of 18 of our members. Our lodging was prearranged at a wonderful B&B (Iris Inn), and a day "wine excursion" complete with limo service for a Sunday afternoon in early June, 2013. Lots of planning and organizing went in to this wonderful weekend event! I had planned to visit 3 wineries - Veritas, King Family and lastly Cardinal Point. A private wine tour and tasting was pre-arranged and paid for at the first two however Cardinal Point advised me up-front 2 months before we arrived they do not reserve wine tour/tastings for large groups on the weekend. However, I was told we were more than welcome to visit....just no reserved tastings. This was fine with me.....no problem, really did not think it was necessary to do a third tour but everyone was up for the visit and perhaps purchasing some more Virginia Wines! As we progressed along the way our limo driver asked if we did have a "reservation" at Cardinal Point? ....I explained as I had previously in email correspondences that NO reservations were allowed for groups however, they were expecting us as I had spoken with them on several occasions though the planning process. It was explained to me by the winery that their experience with large groups has not been good...especially at the end of the day. I certainly understood and though they could not be sure "I knew" our group would not be an issue at their establishment! Our limo driver expressed concerns stating he had been turned away the last time he arrived with a group.... I immediately called to confirm our previous conversations with winery staff and was blatantly and rudely told we we could NOT visit....that no one at the winery would have said our visit with 18 people was "OK" tour, or NO tour - and that EVERYONE knows the rules there! With that, I asked .... you mean to say you will greet us at the car & turn us away...? I was told, "absolutely"! Obviously, this winery must be doing so well they do not want or need new customers! This treatment was totally unacceptable and would not be allowed in the customer service environment I work in.....it is all ABOUT the customer and treating them in such a way they walk away "very satisfied" and happy. I will never visit this winery and will make sure others that ask for suggestions on wineries know of my/our experience. Signed, a VERY dissatisfied customer that never even got a chance to be a "valued" customer!

3  Thank Shelley G
Reviewed June 11, 2013

We found Cardinal Point wines to be average. Often when a winery has a large tasting menu, we have found the wines less exciting and polished. This was our experience here. At our tasting, we were the only ones in the room and it was clear we were interrupting other work. It was very much a factory like tasting experience. Their wine list has many interesting wines, but we didn't fine them sucessfull. That said, others seem to be delighted by this place. It is a lovely setting with beautiful flowers.

1  Thank Sandbeast
Reviewed March 25, 2013

What a marvelous little winery! They make several delicious wines but I must say their Rockfish Red, a Cab Franc, is just right for sipping and enjoyment. The staff are so kind, totally helpful and unpretentious, we loved the tasting and the chance to sit in their bottling room with a most beautiful green eyed kitty - just a great afternoon escape at the base of Afton Mountain. Loved it, and remember, if you are military or a teacher they offer a discount. Good American values and appreciation!!! And did I mention reasonable....!!!

Reviewed March 10, 2013

Several great wines combined with the wonderful hospitality of the staff. Relaxing and enjoyable. Recommend a visit!