“Fantastic Mini Vacation !”
Review of White Birches Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Abingdon
White Birches Inn
Ranked #4 of 16 Abingdon B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 2, 2006

After checking TripAdvisor.com for a recommendation for a good place to stay in Abingdon, we decided on White Birches Inn. It is a BB near downtown Abingdon where we were going to visit the Barter Theatre.
We arrived late (8:30 PM) and Michael took us to our room, gave a brief tour, and wanted to make a reservation for dinner for us before the restaurants close. After several choices we made our way to The Peppermill for an unforgettable dinner. Good Recommendation .
This is a quiet neighborhood ( no trains or big trucks ) and VERY comfortable and friendly surroundings. Beds very confortable in the O'Henry Suite, but the Tennessee Williams suite was much larger. i would try TW on our next trip.
Breakfast next morning was very good, well porportioned. What I like about BB's is the interesting conversation at breakfast. If you have never stayed at a BB it may seem like the wrong time to mingle with guests, but in our experience it is an excellent time to find out what is fun to do in the region and get recommendations on restaurants, tours, as well as other cities that might be interesting to visit. It is small conversation, but these travelers are very interesting to share experiences. Paulette and Michael are very conversational and they both make the guests feel very welcome in their home.
Now the backporch...it is the focal point of the home in my opinion. The porch is a room in the house, completely furnished, except there is one wall missing ! It is replaced by ferns, end tables, and other interesting items to watch!. THEN there is a nice walk-around garden area with fountain, table and chairs and even a small model train set weaving around the gardens. Very relaxing...
I have read 1 negative review, but I have NO idea where these people have stayed. It certainly didnt describe the White Birches INN ! These people have opened up there home for you to spend the night, and what a great experience. Thanks!

5  Thank druggist1

Stedman, NC
Reviewed March 21, 2006

My husband booked a stay at the White Birches Inn in March 2006. The grounds are immaculate and beautifully landscaped. As you walk inside, you are welcomed with elegant music and antiques to match the decor of their beautiful home. Paulette and Michael are very involved in your stay. We so appreciated how they involved themselves opposite each other at the breakfast table each morning and conversed with everyone and seemed genuinely interested. I have never seen the owners so genuinely involved and work as a team. They both were seen throughout our stay and made us feel so special. They both are warm and friendly and work well together. I would definitely stay again and again and again!! I truly felt like I had stepped into another world. The music always welcomed you as you came and went. I will definitely tell my closest friends about this place because it is truly welcoming and such an enjoyable experience.
Thank you Paulette and Michael. We will never forget our stay with you.

Michael and MaryEllen Couillard

• Stayed: March 2006
5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed March 12, 2006

If you are planning a visit to Abingdon, VA to see a play at the world famous Barter Theatre, to hike or bike the Virginia Creeper Trail, to shop for antiques, or to just get away to tour and relax in a historical area, I would suggest staying at the White Birches Inn. This bed and breakfast/inn is a gem. My wife and I have stayed at inns thrughout the United States and Europe and very few places can compare with the White Birches Inn. In rating a b&b/inn, we consider a number of things-cleanliness, hospitality,location, and cuisine. Our room (George Bernard Shaw--the inn's rooms are named after famous writers) had a private bath, whirlpool tub, gas fireplace, VCR, a CD player, cable television, plush robes, four-poster bed and above all it was spotless. Paulette and Micheal Wartella, the innkeepeers and owners, are very gracious hosts who invite you to make yourself comfortable and to enjoy the inn and all that it offers. The breakfasts were delicious--we particulary enjoyed the french toast topped with a warm orange sauce. By the way, have you ever stayed at b&b/inn that served breakfast on antique bone china with crystal goblets and sterling silver flatware? This was the case here. The Inn is located in the historic district and within walking distance to numerous interesting shops, the Barter Theatre, and many restaurants. We ordered tickets to the Barter Theatre when we made our reservations for the room. There is no extra charge for this service offered by the innkeepers. If you are looking for quality accomodations along with an abundance of hospitality, excellent cuisine, and a great location, consider the White Birches Inn. You will not be disappointed.

9  Thank franksZ4353ZC
Forest, VA
Reviewed March 5, 2006

We loved the 2 nights we spent in the Tennesse Williams Suite. It was very quiet and comfortable. Breakfast both days was delicious, although not as much food as I was expecting (based on our other B&B experiences). The hosts were delightful and charming and made sure we had wonderful seats at the Barter Saturday evening. I would recommend the White Birches Inn to family and friends.

• Stayed: February 2006
1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Christiansburg,VA
Reviewed February 18, 2006

My wife surprised me last weekend with a weekend stay at the White Birches Inn in Abington, VA. I can't imagine a better B&B!!!! The accommodations were absolutely first class and the breakfasts were superb, but the best part of the Inn was Paulette and Michael. Not only were they very helpful and friendly, but they very much made you feel at home. In addition to all of this, they made all the arrangements for our weekend -- dinner reservations, tickets for the Barter Theater ( a must see if you visit Abington ), etc. Now that we have discovered this gem, we certainly plan to return.

Stayed: February 2006
5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed February 14, 2006

It was a last minute decision to go to Abingdon for our anniverary weekend. We couldn't have picked a better place to stay if we had researched for a month! Our weekend at the White Birches Inn was a wonderful. We felt completely at home and probably monopolized Mike and Paulette's time too much. They were such a friendly, charming host and hostess, we couldn't help ourselves.

The Inn is a delight! Lovely rooms, complete amenities, beautiful grounds (made even more beautiful by a late night snowfall) and excellent hosts. We can't wait to return. My wife commented that the White Birches Inn is the standard by which she ranks all B&Bs.

• Stayed: February 2006
5  Thank d72nyv
Atlanta, GA
Reviewed December 5, 2004

White Birches Inn is a great place to stay. I was working in the area for several days a week and looked forward to my return each week. The rooms are comfortable, the breakfast is delicious, the comfort and service is unbeatable.

6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member