“ELEGANCE AND FRIENDLINESS COMBINED!”
Review of White Birches Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Abingdon
White Birches Inn
Ranked #4 of 16 Abingdon B&B and Inns
Reviewed June 2, 2009

My husband and I just returned from a long weekend in Abingdon, where we spent two delightful nights at the White Birches Inn. Owners Paulette and Mike got our theatre tickets for us, had a walking tour map waiting for us with their recommendations for sightseeing, and answered all our questions about the area. We stayed in the lovely George Bernard Shaw Room. The bed was so comfortable, the room temp was just right. There were cookies and candy waiting for us. My husband liked the shower and I poached happily in the deep spa tub. We loved having the complementary refrigerator in the living room not too far from The Shaw Room. So handy! Although four of the five guest rooms were occupied, the beautiful inn was nice and quiet for our much anticipated and restful weekend. I can't decide what we liked the best about White Birches -- the helpfulness of our hosts; the fabulous and magical garden; the garden room for reading, a glass of wine and conversation; the candlelit gourmet breakfasts, where guests lingerd afterward for chatting and coffee. Just walking around the house and looking at the lovely antiques and collections was a treat. We will definitely go back!

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
6  Thank GallopingGal08

Reviewed May 10, 2009

We stayed one night and enjoyed this beautiful home and gardens. The bed was very comfortable although the room was a bit warm. The bathroom was clean as was the whole place. It also had a lovely back porch and yard. It would be a great place to stay for several days to "let down." The hosts were very helpful and friendly. It is convenient to town and there are ample places to walk. The one morning we were there breakfast was French toast (white bread) and sausage. No whole grains, no protein option for vegetarians. That was my only complaint. Otherwise it's a wonderful place and I would stay there again.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
5  Thank FatherMckenzie
Reviewed April 29, 2009

We stayed one night in the George Bernard Shaw room. The room is an opulent room separated from the living room by a thin wall - the guest refrigerator is just outside the room's door & part of the tour. As other guests arrived, it was clear a nap was out of the question. Wonderful soaking tub but dripping, too-short showerhead for my 6' husband. Knowing how sensitive I am to July's humidity & heat, I was misled by the 'Individually zoned A/C' advertised on the website. When we arrived, part of our orientation included an admonition not to try to open the windows, that we could control the room's temperature with the overhead fan. At the time, the temperature was comfortable. After hours, the temperature rose dramatically - the heat and the horrible clicking & grinding of the fan made sleep impossible. The elaborate, beautifully presented breakfast was not enough to mitigate the miserable night.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank LLDearness
Reviewed January 10, 2009

My wife and I were looking for reservations to a nice B&B in Abington, Va. We had planned to attend a play at the Barter Theatre. We were also looking for a nice place to quitely get married and saw the White Birches Inn offered a "wedding package". We called and booked our day and room and had a wonderful two days. The owners, Michael and Paulette Wartella were so nice and made our stay the best. Paulette even made our little wedding cake. Breakfast was so delicious. Refreshments were available any time. Rooms were beautifully appointed and decorated for Christmas. The inn is very clean with a beautiful back yard. We had some snow and it was just like a winter wonderland. Highly recommend to couples wanting a "home like" atmosphere and graciousness. Thank you to Michael and Paulette for making our wedding all we had hoped.
Bill and Faye Milan

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5  Thank Bill_Milan
Reviewed December 12, 2008

My husband and I stayed at the White Birches Inn while we were in town for a family event. The home was beautiful and the inn keepers went beyond our expectations. We were very pleased overall and would recommend the inn to others.

Stayed: December 2008
4  Thank HWR
Reviewed November 7, 2008

My husband and I have visited the White Birches Inn every February for five years. We're going back for our sixth visit in February of 2009. If that's not enough of a positive review, here's more about why we love this place!

Mke & Paulette: Perhaps the friendliest, most welcoming people we've ever met. They treat us like family every time we visit! Mike always takes the time to give us a tour (it's really a quick review after five years), and Paulette always lets us know what's happening in town with restaurants, shows, etc. Every year they have helped my husband coordinate the delivery of red roses to our room. We trade wine recommendations, enjoy great conversation, and reminisce about previous visits.

The house itself: This is an amazing home. And it feels like a home, NOT an inn! Beautiful antiques, lots of cozy corners, lovely backyard with a koi pond. We've seen it covered in snow and it's just gorgeous. It's also located very close to all the fun stuff to do in Abingdon.

The room: We stay in the Tennessee Williams room every time. It's so comfortable, especially the sitting area with the fireplace. It's always spotless, and we love the little notebooks where guests can write messages. We go back and read our old ones every year.

Breakfast: A home-cooked candlelit breakfast served on gorgeous china is the best way to start your day. Always delicious, always on time, always fun to chat with other guests.

We will continue to visit the White Birches as long as it's open. We love Mike & Paulette - best innkeepers EVER!

Jenny & Charlie Reeves
Norfolk, VA

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled as a couple
5  Thank VAMommy78
Reviewed September 8, 2008

I worked in Abingon, Virginia a couple of times a month for over three years. I stayed at two or three other B&Bs in town before discovering White Birches, but once I found them, I stayed with Michael and Paulette every trip. Michael and Paulette are wonderful hosts, great conversationalists, and in a very short time they became just like family members to me. Their home is extremely warm, inviting, clean, and comfortable. The beds are great and the in room gas fireplaces and Jacuzzi tubs are truly a pleasure on cold winter nights. In summer the large back porch and garden are lovely places to sit and chat or catch up on some reading. Breakfast at White Birches is divine. The food is scrumptious, the portions are generous, and breakfast conversation is always entertaining. I met so many interesting people at the breakfast table and my bi-monthly visits became more like mini vacations than work. I love White Birches, and I love Michael and Paulette. You can’t make a better choice when you choose to stay with them.

Rhonda Richardson
Lynchburg, Va

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5  Thank rcrichardson53