“Not the standard we are use to with choice hotels....”
Review of Comfort Suites

Comfort Suites
Ranked #4 of 10 Hotels in Abingdon
Horse Shoe, North Carolina
“Not the standard we are use to with choice hotels....”
Reviewed April 6, 2010

We always stay at Choice hotels, and the Comfort Suites seem to be the 'top' of the line.
This one, however, was not.
We came two hours before check in, and we were not allowed to check in, the clerk did not want to check and see if the room was ready. No big deal, just not the best first impression.
The room was suppose to have a 'wall' between the beds and living area... big joke, a partician, maybe 2 1/2 in length with paneling that had come off and the glue and boards were exposed, had not been repaired. Pubic hairs in the bathroom, when we checked in, the room was hot, so we turned on the AC, put the do not disturb sign on the door, went out to eat, when returning, the sign was gone, and the ac turned off. The breakfast was the biggest let down. We have come to expect the highest of quality, especially after the Nashville, Tn. Comfort Suites, there is always a hot item in the covered silver trays. The 'hot item' was a can of apple and cherry pie filling to pile on top of the already sweet waffles which are always available. So, a crowd was standing at the waffle machines, waiting for their lone waffle.. since that is all that you could eat.
At check out, my rate of $79 turned into a quick $100 after all the additions, included in this, the fee for an unused safe. WILL NEVER RETURN!!!

Stayed April 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
pennsylvania
Reviewed December 28, 2009

My boyfriend and I were taking a long trip with our seven year old, and stopped halfway in Abingdon to stay at the Comfort Suites. My boyfriends mom had some choice hotel points to use so we did not have to pay for the room. Unfortunately, I have worked for a choice hotel as a housekeeper and housekeeping supervisor, and knew exactly what to look for. The room looked nice and cozy, the beds looked clean and comfy. But knowing what I knew, I started to look a little deeper. The first place I looked was the most important. The bathroom. The underside of the toilet seat? Dirty. The floor? Hair built up in the corners. The bathtub? Ring of soap scum. The mirrors? Spotty from other people brushing their teeth and getting toothpaste all over it. Inside of the microwave? Dirty!!

So....to make the story a little shorter, because I could totally keep going...the person working at the front desk told me that they had been short staffed due to the holidays. So he moved us to a room next door that was just the same.

The hotel actually had less rooms than the one that I used to work for, and I know what its like to be short staffed. I had no idea why this place was really that dirty.

I would not recommend this hotel to anyone...unless of course, they get a sudden surprise visit from corporate.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
Granite Falls, North Carolina
Reviewed December 18, 2009

Setting the Record Straight
My family and I recently stayed at the Comfort Suites Abingdon, VA. I had booked this hotel based on the Choice Hotels reputation and did not bother to read any reviews. While searching for directions, I came across some reviews of the hotel that deeply disturbed me.
I immediately contacted Comfort Suites Abingdon about some of the problems previously encountered by other guest. I received a very courteous and reassuring reply from Gail Shazor, Director of Sales and Marketing.
I was impressed with the hotel from the moment we checked in. Our one-room suite was located on the third floor. It was very spacious with 2 queen beds and a loveseat sofa bed. It was very clean and fully stocked with the usual toiletries. I, along with my husband and three grandchildren, had plenty of closet and drawer storage. There was a desk and office style chair which we found to be very handy. We utilized the microwave and refrigerator several times during our stay.
We all enjoyed the indoor pool and hot tub. The area was clean and well stocked with towels. Outside the pool area were the ice and vending machines.
There was a beautiful seating area with a fireplace on the first floor. It also contained the area used for the complimentary continental breakfast. We prepared waffles during our stay. The only drawback here was the speed in which the waffle mix dispensed was painfully slow. The children enjoyed the various fresh fruits. Beverages included various juices, milk, and coffee. We found the orange juice to be very bland…more like a weak orange drink. There were also bagels, muffins, and toast if desired. I noticed there a selection of hot and cold cereals available.
Let me share an incident that happened with my 9-yr-old granddaughter: We had gone down on Saturday morning to enjoy the continental breakfast. My granddaughter had her mother's camera and had snapped a few pictures in the sitting area while I prepared some waffles.

We were enjoying our breakfast when she suddenly realized the camera was missing. A quick check of the area was made, but, no camera found. My granddaughter was heartbroken as her mom had entrusted the camera to her. I immediately went to the front desk to check, if by chance, the camera had been turned in.

To my amazement and relief, I was handed the camera!! I regret I did not obtain the name of the employee who found the camera as she should be commended. This employee had come in to check the breakfast area, found the camera, and immediately took it to the front desk. I can't tell you how relieved my granddaughter was. I can tell you this made quite an impression on me.

I hope on your next trip to the Abingdon area, you will consider staying in this hotel. Our stay exceeded our expectations and affirmed our trust in the Choice Hotels brand!

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
3 Thank ncgranitegal
Virginia
Reviewed December 15, 2009

Very friendly staff that knew the area and recommended good restaurants and things to do. Hotel is located near tourist attractions but not in the middle of traffic, etc. Rooms were large and clean and breakfast was more than the usual continental. Did not have movies or game rentals in the rooms.

marckandmarge@yahoo.com

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MarcusUVA
Vernon, Connecticut
Reviewed September 5, 2009

Having to make an unexpected stop, hubby and I had our choice of hotels to stay at at this exit. Choosing Comfort Suites ,as we have stayed in the past at Choice Hotels, we thought no problem. The room itself was lovely but the first thing I noticed when I was walking in that there was left over coffee in the coffee pot from the last guest and his/her hair all over the bathroom floor as well. I then carefully checked the sheets but didnt find any evidence that they had not been changed although they did not feel out of the dryer crisp. I did not report this to the front desk and quitely checked out the next morning. It was a little disgusting but I have stayed in worse.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Charlotte, NC
Reviewed August 14, 2009

The elevator was broken, so we had to drag our luggage up two flights of stairs in a poorly airconditioned stairwell to find a room that still had remnants of the people that had stayed there before us. The coffee pot still had coffee in it and there were empty plastic bags on the floor. The pool was reminiscent of something you would find in a high school gym. The "gym" had three pieces of equipment in it and was about the size of a broom closet. It wasn't even accessible until 9am. The entire place was downright grungy and extremely overpriced!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Nashville,TN
Reviewed July 19, 2009

No Misprint here. From almost the beginning, this hotel proved disappointing for the money. My reservation made with the owner, Sumure, was not kept, as there was a problem with my credit card. I was not called concerning it to reserve the room with another method. Totally not professional. Add to that, there were absolutely no other rooms in Abingdon because of a softball tournament. Luckily, I was able to rent the LAST room via another payment method. In the room...there were no towels, no TV remote, and someone had left a used coffee cup on the office desk. My 10AM wake-up call never happened, as I was awake then. The hot tub was very small and would definitely not recommend for anyone to be romantic in. It was shaped like a "T", where 3 people could get in it and all would have to share the space in the middle for their feet and legs. This in my opinion is not even good for 2 people, unless you are into playing footsies! The jets had no force at all to them and air bubbles were non-existing. The air flow control was inoperative as well. Looking from outside the tub, you would have a hard time determining if the tub was on or off. On a positive note, the staff was extremely courtesy and helpful. Next time I might stay at the Motel 6. At least then, I will be getting what I paid for and expected.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Abingdon
Quality Inn & Suites
Hilton Garden Inn Bristol
Courtyard Bristol
Courtyard Bristol
#2 of 13 in Bristol

Been to Comfort Suites? Share your experiences!